BROKEN ARROW - the new Red Dragon, better than regiments? FOOTAGE inside.

Started by Destraex, December 15, 2021, 08:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: trek on February 07, 2023, 07:51:50 AMGot the demo installed yesterday around 3:00 PM. I've replayed it a half-dozen times. Definitely has a World in Conflict atmosphere with the voice acting, etc. But the game pace is much slower (which I like). The pacing gives you time to plan your unit's movements and be as meticulous with calling up reinforcements as you want to be. Visually the game looks wonderful and the FX and sound is impactful.

However, the AI as to be expected in a modern warfare setting is deadly. Almost too deadly. I've gotten my ass handed to me so far every time. That lone T-72 on the other side of the park has even zeroed-in on my Marine Force Recon troops even when I've hidden them in the woods along the main boulevard on the far left of the map. One little mistake with positioning your troops or vehicles and you are instantly dead! I had some Marines positioned in the gap between two of the high rise buildings where I thought they were hidden from view and the T-72 moved along another street just a little and found the visual angle on that gap and hit them. And this is from long range.

I've got to admit I keep replaying the Demo only about 20 minutes at a time and I need to spend more time with it. It is difficult enough to make you want to almost rage quit at times after you've put so much effort into maneuvering your troops to what you think will be a victorious advantage. I played it once enough where I called in a few ground reinforcements but still didn't get very far in eliminating the enemy. In the Demo so far no Helos or Air Support are available in my short playthroughs.

Anyway, this is the game I've been waiting for many years. I'd describe is as a combo of WIC, CM and the production values of WARNO combined. The entire scope of the game is remarkable. Can't wait for the release!

Dastactic has done a great 2 part playthrough of the demo on You Tube which you may like for some hints  :azn:

This would normally be out of my wheelhouse being modern warfare and being realtime but on half speed and with pause as Das plays it it looks amazing.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

trek

Yeah, I watched his Part 1 a couple days ago. I'll look on YT to see if Part 2 is up yet. I need all the help I can get!

Pete Dero

Quote from: trek on February 07, 2023, 10:06:14 AMYeah, I watched his Part 1 a couple days ago. I'll look on YT to see if Part 2 is up yet. I need all the help I can get!

Skoop

Grim.Reaper

This is the first game in a very long time that I can't simply get running.  At first it would just lock on loading screen.  Then did a reinstall that required very old .net framework drivers (wonder why using so old tech) and that least allowed me start a game.  But while playing the game, severe lag and pausing that I can't really move around to play it.  My computer is well above the recommended specs so not really sure what is going on.  Obviously running for others so must be something unique going on.  Will be sitting this one out, maybe by release something changes where it will work.  Glad there was a demo to try it.

W8taminute

I watched both of Das's videos.  This game looks so good and seems manageable if played at half speed.  But Trek's comments about wanting to rage quit are a gigantic red flag for me that will be very hard to change my mind about holding off on this title. 

I suppose I should try to DL the demo and give it a whirl.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

trek

I played some more today and I'm improving. Took out the T-72 with a force recon AT unit from inside one of the high-rise buildings. Like, why didn't I think of that before?! I still haven't found the time to play more than 30 minutes, so that is part of my problem with my progress. There is no save feature in the Demo so each replay I have to start over.

So far the best video on the game IMHO on YouTube is Vulcan HD's. It runs about 1 hour and fifteen minutes and covers more than any other I've seen. There IS air support later on in the mission so I stand corrected on that feature.

Jarhead0331

The war in Ukraine has really spoiled a lot of the USA vs. Russian Federation wargaming for me. It requires my complete suspension of disbelief to accept that the Russian Army could represent any credible conventional threat.

I wish the enemy here was Chinese. For the time being, I can still pretend that it might be a close run thing. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CJReich46

Agreed. It is very "timely."

I didn't have problem running it. Even on my 2-3 year old system. I'm probably getting some RAM for it soon, as well.

I haven't been able to grok it yet. Managed to get the T-72 with a Dragon team, as well as nail the first anti-air unit. But I'll have to try it again later.

Update: I had to uninstall it was really taxing on my system. Probably with more RAM I will maybe venture forth but not now.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 08, 2023, 05:55:55 PMThe war in Ukraine has really spoiled a lot of the USA vs. Russian Federation wargaming for me. It requires my complete suspension of disbelief to accept that the Russian Army could represent any credible conventional threat.

I wish the enemy here was Chinese. For the time being, I can still pretend that it might be a close run thing. 
I agree. Would be good. But considering this team is a few ex Eugen staff with a lot of Russian or Ukrainian devs, not sure exactly which. I guess it makes sense.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Well. Finished the demo and honestly have to say I don't like it compared to WARNO. However I think that is primarily because of the interface and the canned mission aspect. I struggled to unload off choppers and then select other men because I was just bounding boxing men and not realising I had to right click off the transport chopper first. Also completely forgot to use the sprint command for infantry between buildings. Things like that.
70 minutes is a long time between saves when you are often hanging by a thread because you don't know the game mechanics, health bar tollerances etc
If I am to control the forces I want to plan the operation as well if you get my drift.
They have a sense of humor their with the POTATOE setting for PC performance lol.
Tactical Nukes on the B1B in the bottom shot, however I doubt they are for tactical battles? Or maybe they are.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

Wish I could check out this demo however whenever I try to load the mission it gets stuck on the Land: Loading Battle phase of the loading screen and crashes to desktop. 

I don't seem to be the only one seeing this according to the discussions in the technical issues forum on Steam.  I hope this isn't an issue related to my 8 year old computer.  If so I'll have to pass on this game.  Don't really have any money to invest in a new gaming rig unless I can find one for less than $900.00
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CJReich46

Quote from: W8taminute on February 10, 2023, 10:00:54 PMWish I could check out this demo however whenever I try to load the mission it gets stuck on the Land: Loading Battle phase of the loading screen and crashes to desktop. 

I don't seem to be the only one seeing this according to the discussions in the technical issues forum on Steam.  I hope this isn't an issue related to my 8 year old computer.  If so I'll have to pass on this game.  Don't really have any money to invest in a new gaming rig unless I can find one for less than $900.00

Same here.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Grim.Reaper

Developer's feedback on next steps after the demo......

Broken Arrow - Demo feedback analysis & our next plans
First off, we wanted to thank everyone who managed to download and play the demo last week!

It's been a big success for us. The development team was overjoyed to see so many people play and have fun with the demo. Secondly, it allowed us to gather a lot of feedback that will be used to make the game better.

Today we wanted to give you some insight on our takeaway points from the demo and on what our next steps will be.

The overwhelming majority of people who tried the demo and offered their opinion, whether on discord, Steam, or through our survey, really enjoyed the mission. That isn't to say that it's perfect as it is. There are several areas that need improvement.

Performance

There were widespread performance issues. We were aware of it and it was what we were expecting. As we had warned, the game needs to be optimized, and it is something we will work on closer to the release. It is very important for us to greatly improve this area.

Stability

Similarly with performance, there were players who experienced crashes. Unfortunately it is unavoidable at this stage of development, as the game hasn't gone into beta yet. In the next few months the team will focus on making the game a lot more stable than it currently is (more details below).

Missing Units

Some key units were still missing in the demo, as they're being worked on. Also, in the demo you couldn't choose your own units, the units at your disposal were forced on you. That will be different in the final game.

Difficulty and accessibility

Some players found the mission rather hard. It generally comes from 3 main problems:
They didn't find the reinforcement menu and tried to play the entire mission with the units present at start.
They didn't find how to resupply units resulting in very high losses.
They didn't try to put more than one infantry unit in a transport. Paying for a helicopter that can carry 30 persons to bring 4 soldiers on the battlefield is very inefficient.

In the final game all those things will be explained and taught gradually. The team wanted to test as many features as they could, even at the risk of them being a bit overwhelming. The game at launch will contain tutorial missions and a gradual learning curve. Also, there will be different difficulty levels.

The game felt too micro intensive at times

Countermeasures like flares and smoke had to be deployed manually. In the final game a mode for automatic countermeasures will be available.
The team will work on ergonomic improvements like the option to trigger sprint with a double right click for infantry.
Some quality of life tools are still missing. For instance, a tool to display the line of sight of units as well as the range of their weapons at 360°.

Destructible elements on the map

Some players noticed that some elements on the map were not destructible. Don't worry, we plan to greatly expand the number of destructible elements.

Localisations

The demo was only available in English, but the game at launch will be available in a number of foreign languages. We will post the list of localisation languages at a later date.

Battle chatter

Most players thought the unit barks were cool, but some players thought they would be a bit too spammy and repetitive. We agree with that and the devs are working towards increasing the delay between lines and to avoid repetitiveness.

As you can see, the game is shaping up and getting there, but the devs are going to need a bit more time. But for now, we have some exciting news.

Multiplayer Beta coming in the Spring

In the next few months we plan to start testing multiplayer! Everyone will be welcome to apply. We are looking forward to it. We envision multiplayer to be a big part of the Broken Arrow experience, and we'll need all the feedback we can get in order to make it as fun as we can. So, if you weren't able to play the demo, don't worry, you will have other chances to try the game in the near future.