Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

If you're taking Romans to sea, be sure to bring along the Sacred Chickens.

Meanwhile, on the flagship, some sources state that Pulcher, as the senior magistrate in command, took the auspices before battle, according to Roman religious requirements. The prescribed method was observing the feeding behaviour of the sacred chickens, on board for that purpose. If the chickens accepted the offered grain, then the Roman gods would be favourable to the battle. However, on that particular morning of 249 BC, the chickens refused to eat – a horrific omen. Confronted with the unexpected and having to deal with the superstitious and now terrified crews, Pulcher quickly devised an alternative interpretation. He threw the sacred chickens overboard, saying, "If they won't eat, let them drink!" (Latin "Bibant, quoniam esse nolunt!)

Adherbal saw a chance for victory and ordered his right flank to attack the rear-most Roman ships. The result was an utter Roman defeat, with 93 of the ships commanded by Pulcher sunk or captured with the loss of 8,000 or 20,000 men and only 30 ships escaping to safety.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

devoncop

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

devoncop

[quote author,=Ubercat link=topic=23586.msg649603#msg649603 date=1561319749]
Especially if you're a road.
[/quote]

But why would a chicken EVER cross a road ?  :2funny:

Sir Slash

To pass as far as possible from a KFC store. Chickens I know will call Uber to get around them.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

Now some would say that this episode shows the sagacity and ability to see the future of the Sacred Chickens.
Being an agricultural people, animals were integral to their lives.  For instance, they never got over Brennus and the Gauls taking Rome.  It was the Sacred Geese that honked in the night, and woke the sleeping sentries.  The dogs were apparently asleep as well.
So every year at the Feast of the Lupercalia, the Senate and People of Rome crucified a dog.

As to the Sacred Chickens.  I'm not so sure they were that smart.  (Have you ever tried to work with chickens?)
My theory is that some hard headed sailor saw how poor the Roman fleet was, and fed the chickens overnight.  Hoping to get the admiral to back down and avoid those dastardly Carthaginians.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

devoncop

Quote from: besilarius on June 23, 2019, 11:15:42 PM
Now some would say that this episode shows the sagacity and ability to see the future of the Sacred Chickens.
Being an agricultural people, animals were integral to their lives.  For instance, they never got over Brennus and the Gauls taking Rome.  It was the Sacred Geese that honked in the night, and woke the sleeping sentries.  The dogs were apparently asleep as well.
So every year at the Feast of the Lupercalia, the Senate and People of Rome crucified a dog.

As to the Sacred Chickens.  I'm not so sure they were that smart.  (Have you ever tried to work with chickens?)
My theory is that some hard headed sailor saw how poor the Roman fleet was, and fed the chickens overnight.  Hoping to get the admiral to back down and avoid those dastardly Carthaginians.

Let that be a lesson to both dogs and Roman senators with ambitions for a Navy  :knuppel2:

devoncop

Gents we have a Saka Player :-)

Horse archers have officially entered the building :-)

Greyhunterlp the You Tuber has officially joined our MP game .

He is contactable for diplomatic messages pre game on the Slitherine forum.....

Gus.............you have another neighbour :-)

FlickJax

Looking good guys, I look forward to hearing the tides of battle...

devoncop

Quote from: FlickJax on June 27, 2019, 05:08:02 AM
Looking good guys, I look forward to hearing the tides of battle...

I predict rough seas  :)

Gusington

A neighbor! I'll bake a pie. Ancient Bactrians liked pie, right?

Looking forward to leisurely perusing the manual this weekend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Better get those War Elephants ready Gus.  \m/
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

What do you think the pie is made of?  ^-^
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd