Conquest of Elysium 3

Started by son_of_montfort, January 29, 2012, 11:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 10, 2013, 04:04:39 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on February 09, 2013, 07:06:40 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on February 09, 2013, 06:03:54 PM
I had considered picking up Dominions 3 instead of this, however I heard the AI in D3 was really weak.....

PE

The AI is good enough to test new strategies on before taking them to MP. And MP in Dom3 is the best gaming experience I've ever had.

+1

It also helps that Dom3 maps can be utterly huge and yet filled with a ton of opposing factions. One AI may not put up all that much of a fight, but +20ish AI opponents is a tougher proposition.

Naturally, if those were all competent human players (which is technically possible though improbable due to scheduling even for PBEM), it would be even scarier. But still.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ubercat

Four or so years ago I took part in a vast PBEM game that had all 3 ages modded together. I don't remember exactly how many players there were, but with close to 70 available factions, I'd guess around 50 people.

I played Ctis, from the age with the poisonous miasma ability, and somewhere on the map was at least one other Ctis player from a different age. Not surprisingly, we were no where near each other.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

I seem to recall it's possible without even modding the game per se to play all factions on the same randomly generated map. But it's been a few years.

How'd that MP game work out for everyone, btw?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ubercat

I don't remember how it ended. I think I ended up setting myself to AI, though I don't recall why. I may have been close to being wiped out, or else some RL issue interfered.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 12, 2013, 11:54:39 AM
I seem to recall it's possible without even modding the game per se to play all factions on the same randomly generated map. But it's been a few years.

All factions from all ages simultaneously does need a mod.
I've been too scared to use it, though :) You're a brave individual Uber! :)

My MP experience is about 3 self-organised games via the Shrapnel forums. Newbie centered and I always took EA or MA Caelum.
I really enjoy the extensive diplomacy with mutiplayer games. It really adds to the gaming experience a lot.

The one thing I struggle with, still, is that the advice given by many - or the guides - talk about mechanics as if you are completely familiar with the game. They are often hard to follow for new players.
Also, with lots of people being quite vocal about HOW one should play a given faction it sometimes makes it hard to make up your own mind.

I've found playing SP actually heightens my fun factor with Dom 3 as I am able to experiment at my own pace and actually learn what does what properly.
MP is much more engaging, though, that is for sure.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 12, 2013, 12:59:31 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 12, 2013, 11:54:39 AM

All factions from all ages simultaneously does need a mod.
I've been too scared to use it, though :) You're a brave individual Uber! :)

I've not bothered mixing the three ages together because magic is so damn powerful.  The earlier a civ's Age, the more magic-using troops the tend to have.  So it could easily be imbalanced, despite later age troops having (generally) heavier armor. 

Tpek

airboy

Quote from: Tpek on February 14, 2013, 01:10:29 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211900/?snr=1_614_615_linuxrelease_linuxrelease

Game is now on Steam for only 2.5$, due to the Linux sale :)

Thanks!  I'm definately buying another game I don't have time to play!

Aargh! 

Huw the Poo

Quote from: airboy on February 14, 2013, 01:15:43 PM

Aargh! 

No problem - CoE3 lends itself nicely to bite-sized chunks of gaming.  You can play it alongside whatever else, or just use it to fill a spare 10-15 minutes. :)

Rayfer

Just got it on Steam for $2.49.  Haven't played yet.....quick question, is their a tutorial or not? 

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Rayfer on February 14, 2013, 04:17:22 PM
Just got it on Steam for $2.49.  Haven't played yet.....quick question, is their a tutorial or not? 

Nope, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.  At the very least, read the description of your first chosen class in the manual; it will give you an idea of how to play that class.  Don't forget to transfer units to whichever hero you're sending out.  Don't forget that a single click is all that's required to move, and there's no taking it back!  Oh, and always, always right-click a square containing enemies before moving into it - sometimes even the smallest village apparently defended by a tiny number of units can actually be host to some powerful units that will wipe you out.

You will die several times in quick succession as you're getting to grips with the game, but don't let that discourage you as it's all part of the learning process.  Stick with one class for a few games and you'll get the hang of it.

steve58

Quote from: airboy on February 14, 2013, 01:15:43 PM
Quote from: Tpek on February 14, 2013, 01:10:29 PM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211900/?snr=1_614_615_linuxrelease_linuxrelease

Game is now on Steam for only 2.5$, due to the Linux sale :)

Aargh!

ditto...maybe....gotta week to mull it over.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

One more tip: on some screens you can hit ? to get a list of keyboard commands.  Particularly useful in the transfer units screen.

Rayfer

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 14, 2013, 04:29:14 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 14, 2013, 04:17:22 PM

Nope, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.  At the very least, read the description of your first chosen class in the manual; it will give you an idea of how to play that class.  Don't forget to transfer units to whichever hero you're sending out.  Don't forget that a single click is all that's required to move, and there's no taking it back!  Oh, and always, always right-click a square containing enemies before moving into it - sometimes even the smallest village apparently defended by a tiny number of units can actually be host to some powerful units that will wipe you out.

You will die several times in quick succession as you're getting to grips with the game, but don't let that discourage you as it's all part of the learning process.  Stick with one class for a few games and you'll get the hang of it.

Thanks....this is very helpful.

Longdan

I buy it.  And Ruse too.  I was never interested in Ruse but i didn't need the two bux.
digni enim sunt interdicunt