Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Ok, there are a few from my Wishlist on sale that I might grab:

Rainbow Six 3 Gold
Soviet Republic
Ultimate Fishing Simulator
Global ATC Simulator
WarPlan
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Redwolf

Is Far Cry 5 any good? Heavily discounted.

There's also Crush Depth: U-Boat Simulator for 30% off.

acctingman

Damn...the Decisive Campaign games are cheap now...must....resist.....

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Redwolf on June 24, 2021, 02:22:50 PM

Nope.  It looks nice but it's very shallow and very repetitive.  The frequency with which the enemies show up is ridiculously over-the-top.   If you ever get into a firefight along a road, you can be sure that 3-4 more vehicles full of enemies or hapless civilians will blunder into the middle of it.  The AI won't know how to handle this and they'll end up playing bumpercars in the middle of the road.  Also expect random forest critters to show up (as they do, being attracted to fire and loud noises), so you can also expect to see bears, wolverines, and cougars blunder into the mix and start chasing down random people and/or any prey animals in the vicinity.  While it can produce some good, unintentional comedy, it's mostly just irritating.  The game also forces long cutscenes on you.  It'll arbitrarily decide that you've pissed off one of the enemy bosses enough that they've decided to capture you.  It doesn't matter where you are, unstoppable enemy units will show up ( I once got sleep darted while flying a helicopter at 3000 ft and 160 mph), one shot you and then you'll have to sit through long, boring cutscenes followed by having to fight through the same maze level (this happens over and over and over again), before being dumped miles from where you were.  Oh, you were 90% complete on a 30 minute long tiered-mission when the game decided to grab you?  Too bad, start that one over again from zero.

You can add AI buddies to your team but they tend to be more of a hindrance. If you get two of them, they'll constantly exchange banter, but their dialogue only consists of 3-4 lines each so I hope you enjoy repetition. They don't understand the concept of taking cover, so they'll get shot out in the open and you'll have to run out there and hold down the "revive" key for a few seconds to get them back up, all while getting peppered.  They also have the annoying habit of stealing your vehicle the moment you get out and buggering off with it and getting it destroyed in the process.  What?  You spent all your money getting that SUV with the .50 turret?  Soo bad Cletus just swiped it and drove it straight into a cliff face.  He's gonna need reviving, by the way.

Redwolf

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2021, 03:03:27 PM

Nope.  It looks nice but it's very shallow and very repetitive.  The frequency with which the enemies show up is ridiculously over-the-top.   If you ever get into a firefight along a road, you can be sure that 3-4 more vehicles full of enemies or hapless civilians will blunder into the middle of it.  The AI won't know how to handle this and they'll end up playing bumpercars in the middle of the road.  Also expect random forest critters to show up (as they do, being attracted to fire and loud noises), so you can also expect to see bears, wolverines, and cougars blunder into the mix and start chasing down random people and/or any prey animals in the vicinity.  While it can produce some good, unintentional comedy, it's mostly just irritating.  The game also forces long cutscenes on you.  It'll arbitrarily decide that you've pissed off one of the enemy bosses enough that they've decided to capture you.  It doesn't matter where you are, unstoppable enemy units will show up ( I once got sleep darted while flying a helicopter at 3000 ft and 160 mph), one shot you and then you'll have to sit through long, boring cutscenes followed by having to fight through the same maze level (this happens over and over and over again), before being dumped miles from where you were.  Oh, you were 90% complete on a 30 minute long tiered-mission when the game decided to grab you?  Too bad, start that one over again from zero.

You can add AI buddies to your team but they tend to be more of a hindrance. If you get two of them, they'll constantly exchange banter, but their dialogue only consists of 3-4 lines each so I hope you enjoy repetition. They don't understand the concept of taking cover, so they'll get shot out in the open and you'll have to run out there and hold down the "revive" key for a few seconds to get them back up, all while getting peppered.  They also have the annoying habit of stealing your vehicle the moment you get out and buggering off with it and getting it destroyed in the process.  What?  You spent all your money getting that SUV with the .50 turret?  Soo bad Cletus just swiped it and drove it straight into a cliff face.  He's gonna need reviving, by the way.

Thanks for the info, Robot.

steve58

My wishlist is not impressed with this sale...and on a weekend when my wife is going out of town.  :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Redwolf

I pounced with restraint:

F-14 for DCS (finally, and I did it without getting more DCS stuff)

Crush Depth: U-Boat Simulator - $44.61

Until the Last Plane - $10.35 (looks cute)

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - $4.24 (very good reviews)

SirAndrewD

My haul is pretty "Modest" for this one. 

Finally pulled the trigger on Command Modern Operations + Tacview advanced.  That'll have some cross utility with DCS. 

Mass Effect Andromeda deluxe since I'm finally almost done with ME: Legendary.

Got the SOG module for Arma 3, didn't even know it was out. 

That's about it.  Now on the other side I bought a ton of DCS campaigns and finally filled out my WW2 stable with the P-47, FW-190A and Spitfire. 

Yeah, "modest" but I at least got stuff I'll actually play.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I've added the remastered Praetorians to my list since I never played that game at all. Up to US114.70.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 24, 2021, 03:03:27 PM

Nope.  It looks nice but it's very shallow and very repetitive......

I am on the other side. I had a alot of fun with Far Cry 5.  Not perfect, but you certainly would be getting a whole bunch of gaming for the $9 sale price.

I put about 50 hours in, and enjoyed most of that time. Sure, it can be repetitive at times, but I kind of like that. Its an open world so there is some strategy in picking where to attack. Taking down the bad guys strong points for example and choosing weapons and approach. 

Gameplay is similar to the Just Cause series that I would also recommend.

I even like the somewhat strange Far Cry New Dawn (30 hours in that one).

My biggest issue with the game was that I didn't really like some of the mandatory missions...the game just sweeps you off on some task now and then that you can't get out of doing...some of them are strange dream sequences that are used to advance the story...but I did find them a bit tedious at times. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

al_infierno

Yeah, for such a cheap price I agree Far Cry 5 is totally worth it.  It has as lot of issues but it's a fun shooter, and the best of the modern Far Cry series IMO, largely because they removed the annoying grindy mechanics around finding animal skins.  Now hunting is just to get some extra cash.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Skoop

Quote from: Redwolf on June 24, 2021, 03:42:09 PM
I pounced with restraint:

Crush Depth: U-Boat Simulator - $44.61

Crush Depth looks really intriguing, a Uboat mmo.  Really early in development, brave man for taking the plung.  What they are planning seems really cool though.

nelmsm

So far just these two.

Cold Waters
Total War Napoleon

JasonPratt

I was about to say, for everyone considering Crush Depth: I don't know that the paid version is more than the free demo right now!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, so far I have avoided buying anything. At all.

So far.

The fact that a part-time job opening to earn some expenses-cash (during my semi-retirement ;) ) just opened up today, doesn't mean I can start blowing the extra income I don't have yet on games.

Yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!