Carrier Command 2 by Microprose

Started by Jarhead0331, December 16, 2020, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Another legend reborn perhaps?

I'm holding my excitement for any of these new titles until MP actually delivers something.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1489630/Carrier_Command_2/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

hellfish6

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 16, 2020, 07:22:23 AM

I'm holding my excitement for any of these new titles until MP actually delivers something.

Yup.

That said, it looks interesting. But my hopes for an interesting look at the future of drone warfare will probably sink when the I realize the likely reality is that this will be a nice-looking arcade shoot-em-up that aims for the Ace Combat audience.

Zulu1966

Yeah.

If they deliver all the stuff they are planning to they will be making my year.

Loved this game - spent hundreds of hours playing it on my amiga. Hopefully they will recreate the experience. seems its more than just an idea from the video.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on December 16, 2020, 01:36:15 PM

Yeah.

If they deliver all the stuff they are planning to they will be making my year.

Loved this game - spent hundreds of hours playing it on my amiga. Hopefully they will recreate the experience. seems its more than just an idea from the video.

Release is scheduled for April 2021, so I would say it is well along in its development cycle and definitely much more than just an idea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

fran

True, one can promise anything, but delivering quality is only proven by the action of actually doing it. The market can do with another quality publisher. They will definitely have my support for a number of their titles.

The_Admiral

Quote from: hellfish6 on December 16, 2020, 12:06:12 PM

Yup.

That said, it looks interesting. But my hopes for an interesting look at the future of drone warfare will probably sink when the I realize the likely reality is that this will be a nice-looking arcade shoot-em-up that aims for the Ace Combat audience.

Well the original Carrier Command isn't exactly a study sim to being with  :coolsmiley:
It's not so much about the future of drone warfare than actual SciFi. The world & the narrative are not supposed to be related to existing tech and places. Carrier Command is all about customizing on the fly your force by manufacturing your own combat units to oppose and destroy the enemy mirror carrier. It is much closer in terms of genre to a game like, say, Battlezone (for the vehicular part) and Battle Isle (for the strategic part) than it is to an actual simulation. Don't expect to play a realistic drone carrier sim more than you would expect to play a realistic tank sim when starting a game of O.G.R.E.  ;)

If you want to have a good idea of the gameplay, the (kinda underwhelming) remake that is Carrier Command: Gaea Mission is usually pretty cheap during the sales. If you're not afraid of losing your sight due to overexposure to rough polygons, Hostile Waters is a great homage that tries to have an actual story on top of it (and succeeds rather well at creating a peculiar atmosphere despite the obvious ridiculous settings  :arr:)

The_Admiral

The playtest has started, some limited footage starts to be available on the side (nothing too official for now) but if you're curious

https://youtu.be/VIx5glxso-w

That is very first-level, not all the vehicles are available just yet (only 2 out of 5 aircraft types for instance IIRC) they're having players testing the interface mostly, but there's some bang bang to be had :)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: The_Admiral on May 23, 2021, 04:58:11 AM
The playtest has started, some limited footage starts to be available on the side (nothing too official for now) but if you're curious

https://youtu.be/VIx5glxso-w

That is very first-level, not all the vehicles are available just yet (only 2 out of 5 aircraft types for instance IIRC) they're having players testing the interface mostly, but there's some bang bang to be had :)

Looks interesting.  I loved the original, and am one of the few folks who actually enjoyed the Bohemia Interactive remake years back. So a strong potential buy for me.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Redwolf

How many carrier and/or WW2 pacific games are in play right now?

Must be an impressive number.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks. It is a lot of fun, but the UI needs a lot of work, in both regular and VR versions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Although it was an interesting game during the demo, regular price of $49.99 (even $39 for initial discount) seems high for me.....I know price is very subjective but not sure I would get that much out of it myself.

ArizonaTank

One hour in....   

I am OK with retro graphics...but retro UI? 

I loved piloting the vehicles myself in the old games.

But in this version it looks like you have to pilot air vehicles with W,A,S,D.... who does that these days?  Crashed four air drones already....  Is there a way to turn on mouse control? 

frustration level is high...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Jarhead0331

The controls are very archaic. If you are frustrated in flat screen, you should try VR. It's painful. There is such a great game in here, but it is seriously hampered by the poor controls and bad UI.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2021, 08:20:07 PM
The controls are very archaic. If you are frustrated in flat screen, you should try VR. It's painful. There is such a great game in here, but it is seriously hampered by the poor controls and bad UI.

Some good thoughts...  I am usually pretty forgiving with games that I want to like...I am probably the only Histwar Les Grognards fanboy left in the world for example.

Carrier Command 2 certainly falls into the category where I am very forgiving. 

But CC2 in its current state is just too far off the mark for me. I have requested a refund.

Maybe if they work on the UI some more I will visit the game again.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"