Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Interesting analysis by Dr. Mike Martin, professor of War Studies at King's College

His analysis is that the Russians used a variant of traditional Soviet deep strike doctrine, expecting to quickly isolate Kyiv via armor thrusts and the para assaults with minimal resistance.

The Russians, in his opinion very hubristically, did not destroy the Ukrainian air force, degrade C&C, or give much or any consideration to logistical concerns, expecting to sort those out after a very quick initial strike. 

The Ukrainians have responded largely by implementing delaying actions and denying them the cities.  They now seem to be concentrating on using small AT teams to degrade Russian supply lines which the Russians did not take the time or care to set up and protect.   

The Ukrainian strategy seems to be to stop the spearheads by going for their supplies.  Insert the whole "experts study logistics" quote here.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 25, 2022, 04:44:41 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2022, 04:32:27 PM

Compare that with what Russians see on TV today :

I don't trust a single thing the Russians are saying, no matter how mundane. 

If they reported the sky was blue I'd go outside to check.

I meant a lot of Russians might react differently if they could see what we are watching (or that is what I keep hoping).  There is a reason state media are hiding the truth.

SirAndrewD

Well, Zelensky is speaking right now. 

He said the assault on Kyiv will be tonight and urged everyone capable to stand and fight. 

I'd be surprised to see the Russians launch a full urban assault this early, but who knows.  So far they haven't exactly followed most analysts expectations.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Uberhaus

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 25, 2022, 05:13:49 PM
Interesting analysis by Dr. Mike Martin, professor of War Studies at King's College

Would you please post a link, as with an internet search can only find his articles up to the retreat from Afghanistan.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Uberhaus on February 25, 2022, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 25, 2022, 05:13:49 PM

Would you please post a link, as with an internet search can only find his articles up to the retreat from Afghanistan.

He did it like a hip kid and put it in a twitter thread.  I refuse to join the platform so can't post a direct link but you can find it here..

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Zulu1966

Quote from: Uberhaus on February 25, 2022, 04:46:33 PM
The Ukranians certainly are brave even this woman. 

The Russian soldier shows restraint at this time.  However, there is footage of a Russian MTLB? with launchers driving deliberately over a car.  The driver miraculously survived.

Watch Winter on fire on netflix. Quite extraordinary. Maybe Putin should have watched it before he went in.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Uberhaus

BBC is reporting that UK int is saying amphibious landings are going ahead.
Thx for the link Sir A.

steve58

Came across an article (just from last year) about life in Ukraine while doing a little interneting about Ukraine in general.  This guys life there will be changing much for the worse I suspect...  :(

https://www.escapeartist.com/blog/good-bad-ugly-living-ukraine/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

I didnt think I would but Im liking this Steve Lookner guy.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

and Forte12 needs its own Twitter account.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Con

There are some hardcore graphic videos on Steve Lookners twitter feed.  Brutality of war indeed captured by all the cellphones everyone carries.
Con

solops

Quote from: MengJiao on February 25, 2022, 11:46:05 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2022, 11:29:54 AM
From the BBC today : Putin tells Ukraine military to 'take power into your own hands'

Here's more from Vladimir Putin, who is addressing the Russian Security Council - and, indirectly, the Ukrainian military.
He says Banderites - a reference to World War Two anti-Soviet fighter Stepan Bandera - and so-called neo-Nazis "have put up heavy armaments including multiple rocket launch systems" in cities, including Kyiv and Kharkiv.
"Neo-Nazis" is regularly used by President Putin to deride the Ukrainian government. Ukraine's President Zelensky, who is Jewish, has dismissed the term.
Putin says: "They are acting like terrorists across the world, shielding behind people in order to accuse Russia of causing casualties among the peaceful population.
"It is known for sure that all this is happening on recommendations from foreign consultants, American advisers above all."
He then addresses Ukrainian forces.
"I am addressing Ukrainian armed forces servicemen once again: do not allow neo-Nazis and Banderites to use your children, your wives and the elderly as a human shield
"Take power into your own hands. It looks like you and us will find it easier to reach an agreement than with that gang of drug addicts and neo-Nazis in Kyiv.".

This guy is totally out of touch with reality and he just created a false pretext to justify bombing cities.

I agree he's kind of far around the bend and not wrapped too tight and not playing with a full deck of cards BUT, if he wants to hold Kiev hostage while he calls a ceasefire and "negotiates"
he can't go too far in leveling the city just yet.  He can always do that later when "negotiations" aren't working.

Russia's foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, has warned both Finland and Sweden that they will face "detrimental military and political consequences" if they attempt to join Nato.

Maybe they should join NATO now while Russia is busy blowing up a country that didn't join NATO.  It seems like if this is the way its going to be...now might be the right time to strike back at Russia since it doesn't sound like sitting around is going to stop them.
Maybe Putin has advanced syphilis.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm really surprised at how through Lookner is. 

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury