2019 Running Football Thread

Started by jamus34, August 09, 2019, 10:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Nix and Gatewood are both dual threat guys.  Gatewood's size and weight make him the more Cam type.  Nix can throw the ball better.  Both were hot recruits and both fit Gus's system better than anyone he's had running it since Marhsall, so they could be able to field a good team if the OL and RB situation pan out.

I still don't trust Gus with QB's though.  If he's going to name one or the other he needs to commit to it.  I'm afraid you're going to see the typical Auburn season opener where the starting QB is just a guy that takes the first snap, and Gus is going to get cute again and swap QB's just based on the play he has called.   I'm a fan of giving the guy the keys and letting him get a rhythm.   

Never really trusted his QB decisions since the 2016 four quarterbacks in one game vs Clemson debacle.  (Three were in on one play!!)
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

airboy

For Gus's system to work he has to have a real duel threat quarterback.  Given the every day pounding every running back gets in every SEC game, it is real hard to have a QB who can take that amount of punishment for a season.

Even running backs in the SEC if they take a lot of snaps will go down with injuries for at least a couple of games most seasons.  Very few SEC running backs can go for 1,000 yards and not get hurt at some point.  And that goes double for running QBs who have to be able to throw, handoff, and toss-sweep.  Tebow is the only guy I can remember in the last 15-20 years who played for two years consistently as a running QB. 

Cam was hurt in the National Championship game.  And Marshall only started one season.

Nix was named QB in this morning's local paper for whatever that means to Gus.

I'm not the football guru that many are, college basketball is my favorite sport.  But there are not a lot of successful SEC dual threat QBs over time (as opposed to a scrambler of opportunity like Dak Prescott).

SirAndrewD

The running back issue has been long known with Gus, and he's not really been inclined to change.  He's driven backs into the ground by years end.  The man broke Kerryon Johnson and probably contributed to his early exit from the program.

Caddy, as the the new RB Coach, has promised a RB by committee approach more similar to Bama's this year.   We'll see if Gus will follow through. 

As to the QB, yeah, I know it's tough to give a dual threat QB all the pressure all year all the time.   I'm ok if Gus finds a good balance in a two QB system, but he needs to do it in a balance that is logical, not one that breaks the rhythm just on the play-calling or field position.   If he's going with Nix, let the guy run the offense inside the 20. 

And I'm hoping he's picking Nix because he's the more Dak Prescott type than the Nick Marshall.  Auburn would be a monster with a Prescott behind center.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Well, WAR EAGLE!  Holy crap.  Listening to the local news kind of upset, confused and angry that we won.   They're doing their normal thing talking about how amazing the Alabama win over Duke was, interviewing locals and just talking about how amazing the Tide is.  Most predicted "The Barn" will lose by 10-20.

SirAndrewD

Here is an Auburn man!

WAAAAAAAR EAGLE!

airboy

If you look at the box score, Auburn's defense shut down Oregon's running attack.  Auburn had more than 200 yards on the ground.

airboy

Perfect opening Saturday.  UNC beat the Gamechickens.  Dook was crushed.  Auburn beat a ranked team on a neutral field.  We went to a BBQ and Bourbon tasting to watch the game.

CptHowdy

last nights packers-bears game justifies my not having watched a pro game in 13 years. the pro game is horrible and would probably die if not for sports betting. i will keep track of scores and watch a highlight or two just so that i can hold up my end of a conversation if the company i am keeping at the moment wishes to discuss it but gimme a college game any day of the week. same holds true for basketball.

jamus34

Yes (speaking as a Bears fan) last nights game was horrible. Nagy's decision to not play starters in the preseason combined with some really terrible playcalling doomed the Bears.

Early season defenses always are better due to lack of cohesion and memory timing on the offense side but the offense looked lost last night.

Both offensive lines were bad too. Packers line at least has the excuse they were going again one of the best front 7 in the league, bears line was just terrible in pass protection.
Insert witty comment here.

SirAndrewD

Thursday night football is pretty subpar, especially in the early season with teams that have a lot of rust and made questionable preseason decisions with starters.  I honestly wish they'd do away with the Thursday night games overall.  They always seem to be low energy bore fests.

There were a lot better games in the weekend proper.   That Texans/Saints game was a good to watch.   

As much as I do like pulling for my own college team, I can't even enjoy college ball as much as the pros, not even close.  The speed, game planning and execution are just far more preferable to me. 

Martok

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 12, 2019, 11:20:44 PM
Thursday night football is pretty subpar, especially in the early season with teams that have a lot of rust and made questionable preseason decisions with starters.  I honestly wish they'd do away with the Thursday night games overall.  They always seem to be low energy bore fests.
Agreed.  I'm totally okay with the traditional Thanksgiving games, but otherwise Thursdays should be left alone. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

SirAndrewD

Auburn/Florida tomorrow promises to be epic. 

I can see it going either way.   Auburn's D is elite.  Florida's D the same.   Auburn has a freshman QB.  Florida's OL will struggle against the Auburn front four. 

I hope it goes the Tiger's way.   Auburn already has the best resume in the nation, it'd just add to it. 

Winning in the Swamp is never easy though.

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 05, 2019, 01:11:18 AM
Auburn/Florida tomorrow promises to be epic. 

I can see it going either way.   Auburn's D is elite.  Florida's D the same.   Auburn has a freshman QB.  Florida's OL will struggle against the Auburn front four. 

I hope it goes the Tiger's way.   Auburn already has the best resume in the nation, it'd just add to it. 

Winning in the Swamp is never easy though.

Agree on all points and will add one more point.  Auburn has played a much harder schedule to date than Florida.  Auburn's hardest games thus far have been Oregon (neutral field), Texas A&M (away with 110,000 aggie fans) and Mississippi State (home).  Florida's hardest game was Kentucky.

airboy

We are going to the UNC - Georgia Tech game in Atlanta.

Perfect storm of factors.  I got midfield, upper deck on the shady side of the stadium for a total of $50.  The weather is predicted to break today in Atlanta with a high of 81 degrees.  We can drive to a MARTA station outside almost all of the Atlanta traffic, park, get to within three blocks of the stadium and return for a total of $10 for the two of us.

I have not been to a Braves game since they moved because they did not hook up to the train system and it would take a minimum of 3.5 hours to park, get out of parking, and get 20 miles away from the stadium.  And this is an absolute minimum amount of time which ignores the additional 2 hour drive one way.

airboy

Weather was wonderful for the UNC-Ga Tech game.  The tarheels actually won a football game that I went to see (only the 2nd time since I graduated in 1984 - over about 7 games).  Had upper deck tickets.  Sun went behind the deck after only an hour.  Started at 81 degrees and started dropping.  Nice afternoon for a game.