Afghanistan mission takes heavy toll on Canadian AFVs

Started by Shelldrake, July 20, 2012, 05:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

A recent report indicates that 34 vehicles were destroyed and 359 damaged, including 3 Leopard C2 tanks that are listed as destroyed. AFAIK this is the first report that tanks were successfully attacked in Afghanistan.

http://o.canada.com/2012/07/19/78433/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

The report doesn't say how any of the vehicles were destroyed so we don't even know how many losses were due to actual attacks. Also the losses occurred over more than 10 years of operations in Afghanistan. I don't mean to downplay the losses in men and material, but that article raises more questions than it answers.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Shelldrake

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2012, 03:14:27 PM
The report doesn't say how any of the vehicles were destroyed so we don't even know how many losses were due to actual attacks. Also the losses occurred over more than 10 years of operations in Afghanistan. I don't mean to downplay the losses in men and material, but that article raises more questions than it answers.

It seems likely that most losses were to the 60's era Leopard 1s that were initially deployed to Afghanistan but this article suggests that one Leopard 2 may have been "damaged beyond repair" by insurgents.
http://www.espritdecorps.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=308:afghans-damage-leopard-tank-qbeyond-repairq&catid=40:afghanistan&Itemid=100

Interesting 2008 article here on Canadian armour in Afghanistan.
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/caj/documents/vol_10/iss_4/CAJ_vol10.4_03_e.pdf
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

GDS_Starfury

Lep2 or one of your up-armored Lep1's with A/C?
I ask because journalists know jack shit about the difference.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Shelldrake

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 21, 2012, 03:14:20 AM
Lep2 or one of your up-armored Lep1's with A/C?
I ask because journalists know jack shit about the difference.

I expect that it was a Leopard 2 since Scott Taylor knows his stuff, being a former member of the Canadian Forces. BTW our Leopard 1s never got A/C and so were real ovens for tankers in the 'stan.

Dean Edell

mirth

Quote from: Shelldrake on July 20, 2012, 04:10:43 PM
It seems likely that most losses were to the 60's era Leopard 1s that were initially deployed to Afghanistan but this article suggests that one Leopard 2 may have been "damaged beyond repair" by insurgents.
http://www.espritdecorps.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=308:afghans-damage-leopard-tank-qbeyond-repairq&catid=40:afghanistan&Itemid=100

That's an interesting article. Even though the tank was damaged "beyond repair", the crew was protected with the only injury being a broken hip. That's pretty damn good.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus