StarDrive -- 4x "action strategy"

Started by Martok, February 01, 2012, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

I got the beta today and played around for a couple of minutes.  My initial reaction is that it is a simplified Distant Worlds.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing, since the interface is much better.

Jarhead0331

I'm pretty miffed.  I was an early supporter through Desura.  We have not been provided with steam keys as of yet, and although there is an indication that the Desura version will be updated to the most recent beta version that is currently on steam, desura is still loaded with the alpha code.  Early supporters should never be penalized in my opinion.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Longdan

I never even saw it on Desura.  I had better go look again.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Huw the Poo

Yeah that is pretty bad Jarhead; Desura is billed as the platform for funding indie games in development.  Of course, it's difficult to know who's at fault, the dev or Desura.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 09, 2013, 12:26:40 PM
I'm pretty miffed.  I was an early supporter through Desura.  We have not been provided with steam keys as of yet, and although there is an indication that the Desura version will be updated to the most recent beta version that is currently on steam, desura is still loaded with the alpha code.  Early supporters should never be penalized in my opinion.

I'm a Kickstarter supporter and he sent out an update that stated he intended to have the keys to people yesterday, to coincide with the beta release, but that he had a snag with the Excel file of keys.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

I'm one of the people who got it from Desura back in the day.
The dev said he'd give us Steam keys as well if we wanted. (I've asked for mine :) )

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2012, 12:29:44 PM
From Websters (and not Urban Dictionary, which probably defines it as some sort of deviant act):

QuotePortmanteau
2.: a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from a blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

Sometimes I feel like I'm the Roman governor tasked with civilizing the barbarians...  8)

In fact, Grogheads... the name of this forum... is a portmanteau (Grognard + X-heads).

SOM's avatar is a portmanteau!   :P

republic

So one big frustration off the bat with Stardrive is that in the Shipyard design area you can't zoom in.  At least I can't figure out why, and have found a few forum posts requesting it.  I have decent vision, and at 1080p even on my 25 inch monitor 2 feet away I'm still having trouble seeing where to put things...and trying to figure out what things are.

republic

This is a minor quibble but I figured after so long in development and nearing actual release...this wouldn't be an issue.  Notice how Venus is lit, I'm not sure where the light source is...but its not the sun.

bbmike

The thing annoying me is (and maybe I missed an option somewhere) is nothing tells me when ship/building construction is finished at a colony.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

By the by, here's the latest trailer: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

republic

Your right, it is annoying.  The game went crazy on me with ships positions not matching their 3d models...I decided to take a break.  I'll try again after it releases in earnest.  It certainly poses no danger to Distant Worlds in my mind.  It is a few patches off from being enjoyable to me.  There is no fun in designing your own ships when you can't see the components.  :\

tgb

Let's not forget this is still in beta.  I'm annoyed by the difficulty in placing modules in the design screen as well, but I'm hopeful it will be fixed.

Tpek

Hurmph....

Cast this one into the ever growing list of developers who enjoy support from early backers only to screw them later on for the the sake of milking a new crowd.
Turns out that the dev has decided for now that's it will be too much hassle to give all previous backers Steam keys for the newer versions, and instead we're going to have to suffer
waiting forever to see if he uploads the game to Desura.

It's quite annoying how this is quickly becoming a major trend in the gaming industry.

Bison

This is why kickstarter and early backing schemes are something I will never be party too.