StarDrive -- 4x "action strategy"

Started by Martok, February 01, 2012, 02:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Version 1.03 is now on Desura using their built-in client.
No other news on Desura, no other activity and no real standalone download (you still need to install it into Desura on the OS partition itself and play using it :P).

EDIT: I should also point out that 1.03 is still an obsolete version.
1.05 is the newest.

This guy is really quite a ######.

Cougar_DK

1.04 is the newest public version. 1.05 is what he is working on right now :)

From the official forum about 1.05:

It looks like I am pretty much going to be patching once a day for a while. I am loving the feedback and trying my hardest to respond ASAP.

Fixed issue where module overlay would desync from the ship, causing various graphical and collision issues
13% !! performance increase at turn 1000
Fixed issue where the FTL in system rule wasn't saving your slider settting; did the idiot move of only testing it when it was hardcoded
Changed Draylok Small transport to have 4 engine slots
Fixed an issue where freighters could get confused and hang out around a single world
Fixed an issue where biospheres were granting double their bonus
Added X to close to:
-- Colony Screen
-- Shipyard
-- Diplomacy Overview
-- Golden popup dialogs
-- Save / Load dialogs
-- Empire Screen
-- planet list screen
-- ship list screen
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nefaro

I've enjoyed my first dip into StarDrive

It really seems like Distant Worlds-lite, but as mentioned that's not necessarily a bad thing. 

It still needs some interface work, as there seem to be some tooltips missing for some icons.  It's also not as easy to get to a few windows, or give very location-specific fleet orders without multiple mouse clicks and map panning (which often de-selects your currently selected fleet/ship).  Another example is that I couldn't Ctrl/Shift-Click extra ships to add them to the group selection.  It just needs some more of those basic RTS interface features still.

The shipbuilding is pretty cool.  It very much reminds me of Malfador's Space Empires: Star Fury what with having to place all the modules into physical locations on the ship.

From what I've seen thus far, I've had a decent mix of diplomatic reactions from the alien races I've met.  A few asked for non-aggression treaties, while a couple of the larger & more aggressive ones invoked war pretty quickly when we kept sending ships to the same uncolonized systems.   They also stopped my expansion cold in doing so.  I don't think there is a lot in the way of diplomatic options, but the usual stuff is there.  The alien races are interesting, despite the obvious references to movies & lit in some of them (Lovecraftian tentacled space-people?  Oh yes!).

I'm glad to hear things are still progressing for the early funding customers.  Hopefully everything gets fixed up when it's all said & done.

tgb

My two biggest complaints are the size of the vessel when designing ships (you can't zoom in, making placement a little finicky), and you can't give orders to fleets the way you can to individual ships (i.e. "defend the empire").

PanzersEast

Quote from: tgb on March 12, 2013, 06:49:24 PM
My two biggest complaints are the size of the vessel when designing ships (you can't zoom in, making placement a little finicky), and you can't give orders to fleets the way you can to individual ships (i.e. "defend the empire").

You can.. select the corresponding Fleet Icon on the upper left hand side.... In the menu below on the lower left, click the yellow arrow to bring out the sub-menu and then click the Defend button.

PE

tgb

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 12, 2013, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: tgb on March 12, 2013, 06:49:24 PM

You can.. select the corresponding Fleet Icon on the upper left hand side.... In the menu below on the lower left, click the yellow arrow to bring out the sub-menu and then click the Defend button.

PE

Thanks, because that was bugging the everloving crap out of me.  The latest Space Secto rpreview  mentions the Ascension victory condition, but I can't find a way to access it.

Cougar_DK

Zero has stated that zooming when designing ships will come since so many people has asked for it  :)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Tpek

The current version he uploaded to Steam is 1.05.
The version he reluctantly half-uploaded to Desura after being pressured a lot is only 1.03.

Also, other sites are starting to sell this game as well, and they all indicate this is a Steammworks title. I.E we do not have access to the game anymore.

I've submitted an official complaint with Desura and asked for a refund.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Tpek on March 13, 2013, 07:30:02 AM
The current version he uploaded to Steam is 1.05.
The version he reluctantly half-uploaded to Desura after being pressured a lot is only 1.03.

Also, other sites are starting to sell this game as well, and they all indicate this is a Steammworks title. I.E we do not have access to the game anymore.

I don't blame you..... I am a little surprised about the brush off he has given those who backed his game in order to be completed.  I hope this gets straightened out as it is disappointing. 

PE

Jarhead0331

Let me know how they handle the complaint...I may do the same.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

PanzersEast

I've been playing the Vulfen and my first game I started out with the surrounding systems that are very good for colonizing, however they were protected.  Eventually I believe because I was playing with the largest map size, the game was not very optimized and I started over. 

This time with a smaller map and again with the Vulfen and am in a better position.  I made my forum avatar with the punish in the background as I have been doing just that so far in the game, although I am starting to make everyone an enemy.  No federations formed yet, but if they do and you are not apart of one, it is tough.

PE

Huw the Poo

I don't blame you for a second, mate.  I'd do the same.  It's awful how you guys have been treated.

Please keep us updated; this will be an interesting experiment and a chance for Desura to show one way they can be ahead of Steam.

Martok

Some hope for Desura buyers; Dan posted this yesterday: 

The problem is that I cannot actually retrieve a list of users from Desura to give keys to. I think they may be able to do it though. But basically Desura is going to get kept up to date with Steam and when we launch, I'll see if Desura can work with me to give out keys to all the Desura folks.

And then another fellow responded a couple posts later: 
They can. They already have key distributing system. When I bought Postal 2 on Desura and was Greenlighted on Steam later it took few days but all Desura owners had the Steam key directly on Desura's Keys page (little tricky to find). So if you provide them the keys, they should be able to add them to the owners same as they distribute keys for games sold but not downloaded on Desura (not sure how happy they are).

So you may see the full game yet.  It's still no guarantee of a happy ending, obviously, and I do wish Dan was making more of a commitment to do right by you guys, but maybe he's finally listening to some of us who've complained. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

panzerde

Quote from: Martok on March 13, 2013, 02:24:37 PM
So you may see the full game yet.  It's still no guarantee of a happy ending, obviously, and I do wish Dan was making more of a commitment to do right by you guys, but maybe he's finally listening to some of us who've complained.

That would be great.  I've pretty much shelved this until something gets sorted out and I can play knowing I'm playing the current version of the game.  I'm actually more motivated to go back and play some more Endless Space with the new free DLC than I am to even mess with StarDrive at the moment.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

PanzersEast

I finished my first game of StarDrive and lost..... I played as the Vulfen and the Opteris & Cordrazine both declared war on me.  The systems near me had weak planets and the only good one was defended.  I was behind in Military and eventually everything else.  I played on Medium with a Large world.  I had a couple of other races that were agreeable to me, however by the time I built my forces up it was too late and I was running a deficit.

PE