Hey! I Get To Start A Friday Thread!

Started by tgb, June 27, 2014, 05:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Ugh.   :-[

So I was playing a little Combined Arms a bit ago.  I set up a quick mission and then jumped into the commander seat of a Bradley section, posted to stop the advance of some Russian armor.  I'm not sure what I did, but I must have clicked something wrong or else something was out of calibration, but my turret started this thing where it transversed left without any input from me.  It must have been a controller issue because eventually all of my vehicles were doing that when I got into them.

Anyway, I kept fighting it with my mouse and moving from vehicle to vehicle, and between trying to get the turret pointed in the right direction and the hull of the vehicle pointed in the right direction, and fighting with the gears every time I switched vehicles and they defaulted to neutral (and would inevitably start rolling downhill), and so on...I could feel myself getting a headache.  But I was deep into the mission by this point and I kept going and going...and then suddenly my stomach sort of did this roll like I was going to barf. 

WTF.

Now I feel like there's a spike in my head, and I feel queesy as queeze.  I actually had to go take a tylenol. 

Not the way I wanted to spend my mid-afternoon gaming session!   :(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tuna

Was there Head Bob involved.. I hate Nauseousness from Video games.. really sucks.. yet some people it doesn't affect them at all.

Toonces

No.  I'm usually ok, but it was just a combination of continually fighting the controller and view, and the way every time I switched views the vehicles were spinning all over and the disconnect between my inputs and what I was seeing on screen.  CA doesn't usually have any negative effects on me.

I knew it was giving me a headache but I kept pushing myself.  Fortunately the Tylenol is helping some.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

Mirth and I are on Chat Roulette with Gus if anyone's interested.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 27, 2014, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2014, 07:13:34 AM
Painting the map white as Carthage in Hannibal at the Gates for Rome 2. Then onto to either Valiant Hearts or the new Wolfenstein.

Some Rome II (the Getae get tough when the Getae get going), some WitpAE PBEM, Some boardgames (Hoplites, maybe some fighting wings in the form of Buffalo Wings meets Spirfires over Darwin...I played Achtung!  Spirfire! about 20 years ago, but I hear things are different now...its like, if you learned Great Battles of History over 20 years ago, then Simplified Great battles of History doesn't seem all that simple -- so I may make things simpler in my own way as usual).

So what really happened? Lots of Hoplite (board game) and WitpAE (I found the Kido Butai without suffering major loses!) and some ARMAIII.
I'll try to explain my fascination with Hoplite down in the Board game AARs.  For now I'll just note that it has lots of things that work out for me in board games:
1) smaller maps (except for Platea)
2) fewer units
3) somewhat workable as solitaire
4) battles and tactics with a few twists

Combat Commander was sort of like this but not as dynamic (in solitaire -- with cards I guess you'd expect that).

Tuna

Quote from: Tuna on June 27, 2014, 06:36:31 AM
Tonight, jamming with a couple of buddies..

Tomorrow, going to do some 'real life' FSXing!.. My co-worker has a Piper Warrior, and he's taking me n my 15 year old up for a flight.. I think we're going to Nantucket for lunch. I know my son will definitely get some stick tie.. hoping I can on the way back!

Vacation starts tonight, so hopefully some good gaming eventually.

Couple videos from our 'real life' FSXing on Saturday.. Landing and taking off from Nantucket.. My 15 year old is in the co-pilot seat.
I'm in back being a good Dad, letting him have all the fun!

vyshka

My weekend in large part ended up being Diablo 3. I moved my Demon Hunter from level 16 to level 43. I also spent time reading Playing at the World. I picked up another book, Of Dice and Men which is also supposed to be a history of D&D to see how it compares with Playing at the World. I ended up spending no time on Distant Worlds or any of my fantasy 4x games.

Tuna

Also picked up Age of Wonders III during it's sale.. Having fun with it, but thinking, I have to work more with FELH to win. But the Graphics are really nice.. anyways was a great deal at 20!

BanzaiCat

Since the wife and kids are in Arizona and I'm at home (albeit with the mother-in-law, unfortunately, as she lives with us), I have exactly bubkus going on this 4th of July weekend. No parties, no fireworks, nothing, so hopefully, GAMING.

I might try more of State Of Decay this weekend after getting it cheap on Steam. Still thinking about getting the Might & Magic 6-pack and F-117 from GOG (I missed the sale for M&M, it's now ten bucks instead of four, but that's still a good deal for many possible hours of gameplay).

Have to give Cruel Necessity and Picket Duty a whirl this weekend too, and more Birth of the Federation and Blood and Bridges to get some articles to GH...

bob48

I've also been the backseater in a Piper Warrior whilst a buddy was having a flying lesson. Its a bit cramped.

What was interesting was that having 'flown' one for bloody hours in FS9/FSX, all the controls and instruments were instantly familiar and I could follow everything. I even found myself trying, despite limited vision from the back, to scan the 6 primary flight instruments.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Tuna

lol.. I should've been in front on the way back, but, my Son didn't touch the yoke at all on the way there. So when we were getting in to go back, he said you sitting in front now Dad? I said "No, you need to get some stick time".. My friend let him take the controls the rest of the day.. it was an awesome experience for him!.. lol.. if there's a 'next' time, I will definitely want to get some stick time. My friend said I should sign my son up for lessons. LOL I'd like to sign me up for lessons!.. My older son doesn't' really need to go to college right?  >:D

BanzaiCat

Tell your son he's gotta work his own way through college, and that the experience will be the best school he's ever gone to. ;)

WallysWorld

Finally started playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky three years after I used my GG blue coins to get it for free. Enjoying the game so far.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.