Is there a PC game like this???

Started by mikeck, March 08, 2012, 09:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I used to play the boardgame called "Marine:2002"

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2757/marine-2002

It  was a tactical warfare game between the US and Soviet Union taking place on the moon. There were laser squads, Particle beam gun teams, attack gunships, "sleds" that could carry 3-4 squads through the "air", orbital platforms, nukes, etc, etc. Basically, "squad battles" on steroids in the future.  Is there anything close to this on the PC. I want some tactical hex-based company level combat but I have no interest in WW2 and Tiller's graphics make my brain hurt.  Any ideas?

God I miss this game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

I'm not sure if we can exactly get you what you want.

Have you played any of the Warhammer 40K games? Dawn of War II is exellent - great story line, great graphics, fun. It's real-time, but real-time tactical. No buildings to create, no peasants to push, just capture objectives, grab powerups and go. It has an RPG element, too, where as you gain XP you unlock more abilities.

If you get the Chaos Rising standalone there is also a really cool Taint feature - if you deviate toward the path of Chaos, you start to lose "good" abilities and gain Choas ones instead.  All-in-all, I loved the game.

But it's not exactly what you asked for...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mikeck

Well, to be more precise, I'm looking for a sci fi tactical turnbased hex game. A'la the Marine:2002 boardgames. Armageddon Empires is close but I am jot into the card play.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

I figured the turn-based component would be what you really wanted. I will say Dawn of War II has moments of click-fest but after combat is over you can linger at your leisure. I know, still not what you want...

OK, turn-based sci-fi. Battlefront published a game a couple of years ago. I never played it. Let me find it...ah, yes, Drop Team. There is a demo: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=101&Itemid=147

I can't tell from the game description but it looks like it may be real-time.

I know there have to be a few more out there but it's going to take me a while to think of them. Hopefully we'll get some other folks to chime in and help.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.