Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 05, 2015, 08:08:38 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2015, 11:40:53 PM
I'm rapidly approaching a cross-roads. I've almost made it to the point where I have over a million in the bank. Once I'm there, I'm going to be tempted to buy a Lakon Type 6. My short term goal is to buy an Asp, with a long term goal of getting either a Python or an Anaconda. In my Cobra, I can make a steady income of $100,000 per 40 ton trade run. However, its just not enough. What is the maximum cargo hold of the Type 6? If it is close to or more than 100 Tons, I think I will get it. That means I can haul in at least $200,000 to $250,000 per run. That means $1,000,000 every 4 to 5 runs. That it reasonable profit.  Any of you guys use a Type 6 regularly? How do you feel about it?

Right now I have a Sidewinder, Eagle, Viper and Cobra. I'll consider selling the Eagle, but I know I want to hold on to the Viper and Cobra. If I had sold them, I would have been in a Type 6 awhile ago.

How many hours of playing did it take you to get there?

Hmmm...good question. Is there a tracker anywhere in game that says how much time you have spent playing? I would approximate somewhere in the 10 to 20 hour range.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

You can see your stats somewhere...I can't remember where, maybe under your profile?

I've seen it around I'm sure.
Alba gu' brath

republic

I can make a steady income of $100,000 per 40 ton trade run. However, its just not enough. What is the maximum cargo hold of the Type 6? If it is close to or more than 100 Tons, I think I will get it. That means I can haul in at least $200,000 to $250,000 per run. That means $1,000,000 every 4 to 5 runs. That it reasonable profit.  Any of you guys use a Type 6 regularly? How do you feel about it?

The Cobra can max out at 60 tons if you dare, thats how I run it.  I do wee myself a little though when I have to fight off an interdiction.

Yskonyn

A bit of a bummer here...

I had accepted another pirate hunting mission, as these seem to provide tons of fun and net me a decent profit in the process, but as I investigated an Unidentified Signal Source (USS) I was contacted by a lone NPC there offering me a change of plans.
If I wanted out, I should meet him in Roetgen Gateway and he would show me how to walk away.

The mission log updated with a new entry; abandon credits 1300.

Curious as I am, I decided to see what he would offer me, expecting to start some kind of interesting quest chain. So I made my way to the station (great feature by the way in the galaxy map that you can also put in station names in the search box!) but I couldn't find an entry when docked.
Turns out I first had to accept the abandon option. Then the BBoard listed his contact. But all I got was the measly 1300 credits. No further story, no nothing. Quite the dissapointment and anti-climax if I may add.  :knuppel2:

Available playtime was quickly coming to an end and I had yet to make a decent living, so I tried my luck at a local Navigation Beacon and surely enough I found a wanted Sidey there. Engaged and killed it shortly afterwards to end the day with 14000cr bounty.
Its alright I suppose.  ^-^
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 05, 2015, 09:16:26 AM
But all I got was the measly 1300 credits. No further story, no nothing.

i guess you gained reputation with his local faction and lost reputation with the local faction who had given the mission.

when i examined USSs close to a station i sometimes find a lonesome ship who offers me a reward or just asks if i agree to abandon a fetch mission i am just on  (like bring me 2 Gold, or 7 Uranite, usually for double the market value) ...and i have read in the info panel that those ship belonged to an opposing local faction.

mikeck

Quote from: republic on January 05, 2015, 09:02:06 AM
I can make a steady income of $100,000 per 40 ton trade run. However, its just not enough. What is the maximum cargo hold of the Type 6? If it is close to or more than 100 Tons, I think I will get it. That means I can haul in at least $200,000 to $250,000 per run. That means $1,000,000 every 4 to 5 runs. That it reasonable profit.  Any of you guys use a Type 6 regularly? How do you feel about it?

The Cobra can max out at 60 tons if you dare, thats how I run it.  I do wee myself a little though when I have to fight off an interdiction.

Question though, if you're going to exchange all of the cobras offense of an defense of capabilities for cargo space why not just buy a cargo freighter and have even more that cargo space?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I lost a ship for the first time last night. It was getting late and I wanted to go to bed, but I just had to finish the second arm of this last trade run. I took off from the pad and flew full speed at about 300 km/h into the wall of the starport, barely missing the exit. Lost my cobra with 40 tons of Gold. Ouch. I only have myself to blame. Anyway, a minor setback after a long day that netted me about $400,000 in profit altogether.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on January 05, 2015, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: republic on January 05, 2015, 09:02:06 AM

Question though, if you're going to exchange all of the cobras offense of an defense of capabilities for cargo space why not just buy a cargo freighter and have even more that cargo space?

Good point. I guess cost.  Additionally, the Cobra is faster and more maneuverable than the Type 6.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2015, 09:51:27 AM
I lost a ship for the first time last night. It was getting late and I wanted to go to bed, but I just had to finish the second arm of this last trade run. I took off from the pad and flew full speed at about 300 km/h into the wall of the starport, barely missing the exit. Lost my cobra with 40 tons of Gold. Ouch. I only have myself to blame. Anyway, a minor setback after a long day that netted me about $400,000 in profit altogether.
I done this way back when. Didn't lose alot - but it pained me for being an idiot! Exactly the same...flying like a cowboy in a station  :crazy2:
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Dont speed! And brake for spaceslugs!

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 05, 2015, 09:53:45 AM
I done this way back when. Didn't lose alot - but it pained me for being an idiot! Exactly the same...flying like a cowboy in a station  :crazy2:

you are not alone  ;)

my stupidity list including Gamma (all happend usually late eve when tired):
- was mining, a vessel  showed up, i wanted to retrace cargo scoop and fly away, instead hit wrong key next to it and eject all cargo (the stuff i had mined in the RL past hours....Arrrr!)
so i unbinded the eject button and instead placed the function on one little remote located button 'on the baseplate' of my Sidewinder II FF Stick

- days later i was fighting around at an USS and uncomfortable with the position of my Joystick on the desk and 'turned' it with one hand ...touched the new eject button with the pinkie.... 32 cargo floating in space....  i have un-binded the eject function now completely!  I am not the give-in type anyway ;)

- forgot to ask for permission to enter station ...or thought i had done it ....and before i could sneak out: Cobra and cargo destroyed

- hit thruster button on first attempt to buzz into station with speed (i had read 300 somewhere, but now i know 140 is enuf) smashed Cobra against the backwall

- could not stayed away out of a USS and fight there with good cargo on board and already good bounty and a refinery bin with 48% Palladium n'such
because i had to test my new toy 'Kill warrent scanner' then ... it must have been that USS with several pirates in Cobras?  I took one out and out of nowhere someone blasted me out of the sky... i guess it was a salvo of missile and my point defense was either saturated with targets, or the salvo came from a blind spot, or it was a railgun? or something? 
insta death! ...well that was all before my Cobra is beefed up now  >:D

republic

With the Cobra you can have 60 tons of cargo space and 14ly jump capability for less than 500,000, whereas the cheapest pure cargo hauler is several million, then you have to upgrade the FSD and the upgrades on larger ships cost much more than upgrades for smaller ones.

JudgeDredd

I've got this again on launch.

The only way out of this, is to hard reboot. If I try and shutdown, it ends up with a blue screen. So I have to power off.

Trouble is, I can't just now because I'm downloading a 10GB v3 upgrade for CM:BN  :'(

*edit*
Forgot to put the image!
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Quote from: republic on January 05, 2015, 02:26:45 PM

With the Cobra you can have 60 tons of cargo space and 14ly jump capability for less than 500,000, whereas the cheapest pure cargo hauler is several million, then you have to upgrade the FSD and the upgrades on larger ships cost much more than upgrades for smaller ones.

I thought you could get a lakon six to for less than 1 million or just over when you add some goodies but certainly not several million. I bought a cobra also because that's what I could afford. Looking back since I really just want to trade I should've kept banking money with the Viper and gone straight for the lakon doc once I got 1.2 million or so
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Great Ajax

Wow, what a coincidence as I did exactly the same thing.  I had just purchased a new Cobra to start running trade missions and filled up $250k of Imperial Slaves.  Figured it would be an easy milk run and I have been getting arrogant with taking off and zipping through the exit portal at high rates of speed.  So, ended up overshooting the exit portal and slamming into the dock hull and killing my 16 tons of Imperial slaves on board.  Now, I am sure that I didn't have enough cash to cover the insurance but I still have the Cobra and $1,000.  Weird.

Trey