Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, me as well.  I put about 10 hours into it but never got into it. 

Jarhead0331

I'm really curious what you folks didn't like about it? It's universally the best space flight experience ever. Yes,  at initial release it needed some more content to add longevity, but at no point did I ever feel it was not worth what I paid.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

For me there just wasn't enough of a reason to play.  I just felt like I was a space trucker.  Spend time exploring and learning who in my local area sells what and who buys what and then hauling random good A to point B in order to earn credits to buy a bigger ship, to earn more credits, to buy a bigger ship.  There wasn't enough of a narrative nor did I feel any of my actions had enough of an impact to compel me to continue.  It felt like a massive world but it was all just too shallow and lacking meaningful content or variety for my tastes.

jomni

It was nice but I don't play it either.  There's no soul. This is the problem of most outatanding sims (DCS, ROF). You get nice environments but no campaign, all sandbox. But the sim aspect of this game is not even detailed enough to grab my interest.  Now if they make ship operations and navigation harder like FSX or XPlane.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on September 30, 2015, 07:42:58 PM
Now if they make ship operations and navigation harder like FSX or XPlane.

You might want to check out Rogue System. Its still early Alpha, but very promising.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

sandman2575

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 30, 2015, 07:01:50 PM
For me there just wasn't enough of a reason to play.  I just felt like I was a space trucker.

this. and what jomni says about lacking soul.

admittedly, I only put a handful of hours into the game -- but there was no hook. nothing pulled me back to the game.

Kushan

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 30, 2015, 06:54:25 PM
I'm really curious what you folks didn't like about it? It's universally the best space flight experience ever. Yes,  at initial release it needed some more content to add longevity, but at no point did I ever feel it was not worth what I paid.

My sentiments exactly. Its not like people didn't know what they where getting on Day 1. Not exactly thrilled that I'm going to have to pay full price, with a slight discount, for a new season of content but there's really nothing else like it on the market right now.

Normally I would go the combat or exploration route in this type of game but surprisingly I really enjoy the trading game. I find it rather relaxing after a long day at work, when I'm not being intercepted by pirates that is.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Jarhead0331

It sounds to me that most of those who didn't like it gave it a very brief shot, played maybe a couple hours, and then threw in the towel. That's fair though because in all honestly, when I first played in early alpha, after seconds, I knew I was playing a very special game like no other in many ways. If they played for a couple hours and didn't get that feeling, then they probably never will, no matter how long they play. It's just not for everyone. It doesn't tell you where to go. It doesnt tell you how to get there. It doesn't hold your hand. You have to have the motivation to make your own story and chart your own destiny.

That being said, this is not the game I expect to see negativity about, especially on page 137 of a 140 page thread. It's undeniably spectacular in so many ways.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Well said JH!

To counter some 'shallowness' claims: my group will get our own Faction in game with the next patch! We did this by making an AI minor Faction a dominant force in our sector of space by doing missions for them.
This resulted in our system becoming a High Tech system where good weaponry and ships are available for fair prices.
ED offers groups to apply to become a minor Faction by replacing one in a system you have elevated enough. We were approved and now, in theory, we could rise to eventually become a Major power in Powerplay ! Admittedly this isn't something a solo player can achieve, but the gameplay system itself is far from shallow!

Many people don't seem to understand how the economic / political systems work in Elite, but there is so much coolness in there.
Supporting a Faction to have a system Flip from being agricultural to something more civilised is awesome! But at the same time you will want to keep a few agricultural systems relatively nearby or life support commodities start becoming a problem and that lowers efficiency in the whole sector.
Its grand! But its workings are kept vangue on purpose by Frontier.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 30, 2015, 06:54:25 PM

Oh, I'm still attracted to it's stellar beauty and the promise of exploration.  I've just not been in much of a space-sploration mood in awhile, but when I do the first one to get more attention will be Kerbal Space Program.  Possibly a couple others in line before E:D too.  :-\  I didn't give up on it, just have too many others filling up my gaming time.

There are worse problems than having an overabundance of cool games, I suppose.   :crazy2:

undercovergeek

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 01, 2015, 10:34:26 AM
Well said JH!

To counter some 'shallowness' claims: my group will get our own Faction in game with the next patch! We did this by making an AI minor Faction a dominant force in our sector of space by doing missions for them.
This resulted in our system becoming a High Tech system where good weaponry and ships are available for fair prices.
ED offers groups to apply to become a minor Faction by replacing one in a system you have elevated enough. We were approved and now, in theory, we could rise to eventually become a Major power in Powerplay ! Admittedly this isn't something a solo player can achieve, but the gameplay system itself is far from shallow!

Many people don't seem to understand how the economic / political systems work in Elite, but there is so much coolness in there.
Supporting a Faction to have a system Flip from being agricultural to something more civilised is awesome! But at the same time you will want to keep a few agricultural systems relatively nearby or life support commodities start becoming a problem and that lowers efficiency in the whole sector.
Its grand! But its workings are kept vangue on purpose by Frontier.

and there in lies the beauty of the game

i play as a mercenary trader, dont give a damn about factions and alliances and who controls what (role playing my character not casting aspersions on the game) - one day ill fly through Yskonyns system, trade some stuff, get chased by pirates, sneak in some black market stuff and be on my way

panzerde

I don't have anything at all to say negative about the game - frankly, I haven't played it long enough to have developed any negative impressions. It looks great. It sounds like a lot of other people really enjoy it.

What was obvious to me once I started into the tutorial (wait, there's my negative: I thought the tutorial was really, really bad) was that the game was going to require a significant time commitment to even learn to play. Due to the MMO aspects that meant I was going to spend a lot of time in a place where griefers and PK types were going to have a great shot at me, and that's just not really of interest to me right now. I also haven't really felt like hauling out my flight sim gear and re-configuring my PC to play sims again.

So, I suspect it's a really great game and if I never get my money's worth out of it, that's pretty much on me for lacking the motivation to do what's necessary to enjoy it. Ten years ago I'd have played it for hundreds of hours, probably. Now, I'm interested more in other things and types of games, but was seduced into buying this by the shiny factor. That's in no way the game's fault, or any negative comment on it.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Asid

EliteHorizons PlanetReveal

Uploaded on 9 Oct 2015

This is a quick-and-dirty un-edited capture from Horizons from a debug build on one of our dev machines, using the debug camera on an SRV and just zooming out ever faster from a crash site on the surface of a rocky potato-shaped planetoid, not unlike Vesta in our solar system. There are tons of little details we plan to tweak or fix, but I thought it would be great for you guys to see where we're up to with this.
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."