Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic

Started by republic, February 05, 2012, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Reminds me about the upcoming Microsoft Flight and how it is a very stripped down Flight Simulator which goes the MS Windows Live DLC track.  :'(

MIGMaster

sigh... hard to believe.......really sours my take on TK

Shelldrake

Sad news for simmers.

On a related note does anyone have thoughts on First Eagles 2? I enjoyed the original and am tempted by the sale price of $20 for the second one.

Oh and if anyone has Wings Over Europe, I just discovered that Nato Fighters 4 was released by Column5 some time ago.

http://www.column5.us/natof4.shtml
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

MIGMaster

How in the hell did I miss that ! Thanks for the heads-up Shell !!

republic

Nato Fighters 4+ (For Strike Fighters 2) is great.  It is my hope that the increased revenue from the 'light' sims might translate into the heavier sims getting some love along the way.

As DCS goes farther down the 'model every button' and Thirdwire preparing to go the other direction...I hope the recent indy developer explosion will produce a new middle ground sim.  With Kickstarter proven to give niche games proper funding...maybe someone else will step up.

Toonces

Not sure how recent this is, I just saw a thread on it at SimHQ:  http://www.thirdwire.com/project_sf2na.htm

Lots of screenshots in the webpage on TK's site.  It says it can be merged with the SF2 series, so I have a tiny bit of confidence that it won't be any more dumbed down than Strike Fighters in general.  If that is indeed the case, I can live with it and, frankly, I guess this is as good a game as any for TK to close out the SF series and move on to iPhones or whatever he's planning on doing.

There really aren't any additional conflicts I'm waiting for TK to make.  A good North Atlantic naval scenario is about the last thing we're missing.  Modders will have us flying all the "unflyable" planes in no time, create newer and better campaigns, etc. with what we get in SF2:NA.  I think between this, and SF2:Vietnam, I have everything I need from Thirdwire.

Now, if he's changed to core gameplay in this release, then shame on him.  And, I will be bummed, because the screenshots sure are pretty.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

We have no issues about SF2 North Atlantic as it is the same formula as the other Strike Fighter games.  Our main concern is the future direction and TK is inclided to produce somehting more lighter. This may be the last of the series.  :(

mikeck

Does he think he will sell more if he competes with the PS3/xbox crowd? No way. Those guys want graphics and action.  He wants to give them mediocre graphics and simplicity? Stick with what works. Entry level flight sims encompassing undergamed areas (Mid east 1956-1982 and Warsaw PAct/Nato)....unless you can give them battlefront 3 style gameplay, you cant compete.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

Jomni,
I hear what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree with you.  But what else would you really like to see in "Strike Fighters"?  I mean, between the core releases and the user-made mods, I find it hard to think of a scenario that isn't represented.  Perhaps Korea, although there was a full Korea mod in SF1, but even Korea is being worked on for SF2 by some guys at combatace.

What I would have liked to see from SF is for TK to crank up the fidelity a bit- a more robust wingman system, maybe make some of the buttons clickable, get some decent voice acting or at least some different voice acting...and this is all stuff he has said flat out that he isn't interested in doing.  So, in that sense, I'm not sure where he's supposed to go with the series at this point.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

republic

Korea is the one I've really been wanting to see.  But ever since the P-51 DLC proved they didn't mind doing prop planes, I had also secretly hoped for an epic WW2 in the Pacific dynamic campaign.  Island hopping, carriers, oh my.

I think the Strike Fighters 2 engine has a lot of legs in it, I'd like to see TK improve the Thirdwire DLC marketplace and give some of the better modders a way to sell their wares and skim a bit off the top too to keep SF2 going.  Let some 3rd party guys keep content rolling and TK can work under the hood for a bit.  I know he says no one played multiplayer...but a few buddies and I used to play quite regularly.

MIGMaster

Quote from: republic on February 29, 2012, 04:12:45 PM
I'd like to see TK improve the Thirdwire DLC marketplace and give some of the better modders a way to sell their wares and skim a bit off the top too to keep SF2 going.  Let some 3rd party guys keep content rolling and TK can work under the hood for a bit.

+1

jomni

I want TK to enhance the terrain rendering engine.  It's the weakest link that cannot be modded except for enhanced textures.  3D models and lighting are already great.  Clouds can be modded. Flying in the SF2 world is not as immersive as FSX.

Some minor sim fidelity enhancements won't hurt.