Apache Longbow Released on GoG

Started by LongBlade, February 28, 2012, 11:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

I was a part of the "beta test" of the actual Longbows back in '95 in California.  We were the OPFOR for the Force Development Test and Evaluation, and then the Initial Operational Test and Evaluation.  It was a *lot* of fun, driving tanks around California and shooting at helicopters for 4 months.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 28, 2012, 11:30:21 AM
I was a part of the "beta test" of the actual Longbows back in '95 in California.  We were the OPFOR for the Force Development Test and Evaluation, and then the Initial Operational Test and Evaluation.  It was a *lot* of fun, driving tanks around California and shooting at helicopters for 4 months.

Weren't you the guy who managed to "shoot" one down using your tank?

bayonetbrant

I got an older "A" model one night, but my platoon was the lead in the ground task force most nights.  We were hunting blue ground forces (put out there to keep us 'honest') and let the guys behind me kill most of the helicopters.  I led the test in overall kills (over 50), but all but one were ground vehicles (other tanks, PC, scout trucks, etc).
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Thanks for the heads up.  Not really sure one would want to fire this up as opposed to say Apache vs. Havoc? That's a much more current apache sim, especially with mods. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

When I first saw the press release I was hoping this was Janes Longbow, but it is not. Still helo sims can be fun, and at $6 it might be worth the money.

jomni

My vote goes to Appache Havoc because of the campaign system.

Staggerwing

This longbow sim is from Digital Integration, the same team that did Tornado .
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Epee1

Maybe Tornando is not far behind. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We use to do an MP campaign with Tornado on GENIE.  Each person would fly a mission save the game and send it on to the next flyer.  Each person was tasked with performing certain operations in the campaign, with an overall commander.  There were no reflys.  If you crashed that was it.  I did 5 campaigns, and flew in many others.  Good times and memories with a great bunch of guys.  Most of them were also flying in Air Warrior too.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Longbow 2 was pretty good. I tried to get it going on a newer system to no avail. It required the 3DFX Glide. Any other old farts remember that hardware?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on February 28, 2012, 07:52:11 PM
My vote goes to Appache Havoc because of the campaign system.

This.

The mod has held up fairly well over time.  I'd recommend getting that one at GoG and popping in the mod for it.

jomni

Get both Apahe Havoc and merge with Komanche Hokum then slap in the mod. :p  Still cheap stuff in GOG.

Epee1

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on February 28, 2012, 11:50:27 PM
Longbow 2 was pretty good. I tried to get it going on a newer system to no avail. It required the 3DFX Glide. Any other old farts remember that hardware?

Yep, and QEMM, Xtree Pro, DR DOS, the good old days with only 3 files you needed to worry about when tweaking things.  The good old days.  :'(

Toonces

I was thinking Jane's Longbow when I initially saw this, too.  I used to have it and I threw it away years ago.  Man, I wish I hadn't done that.

I bought the Comanche v. Hokum game a few years ago after they came out with the Hind mod for it.  It is pretty sweet.  I have never been able to get heavily into  CvH, but it seems like a fine game if you're into helicopters.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

I loved Janes Longbow.

What I remember most was flying it on some of the higher realism settings. And after I got that down, I realized why the Longbow is a two-person bird.

You can shoot at stuff.

Or you can fly.

Don't try to do both.

That may have been its biggest problem. It was actually realistic.