Swords of the Stars II - 70 % off at Gamersgate

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 05, 2012, 07:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Well, based on recent JH thread about the current state seemingly moving in the right direction, thought people might be interested.  Roughly $9 if you want to jump in now and hope everything eventually gets fixed.  Not sure how long the sale lasts.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTS2LW/sword-of-the-stars-ii-lords-of-winter

Shelldrake

Just saw this on the GG site. Definitely tempted...
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Grim.Reaper

Me too....I said I would only ever consider once it hit the bargain bins, so my bluff is being called:)  Thinking $9 might be worth the "investment" of the possibility this turns out to be a fully complete game someday.

Shelldrake

This review was written a month ago and, combined with Jarhead's recent impressions, gives me some confidence that the game is worth buying but YMMV.

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/01/sword-of-the-stars-ii-lords-of-winter-review/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

son_of_montfort

There are still some missing features. But at this price you can stomach them much better. I wish I had opted for the refund and repurchased now. I haven't played it yet anyway.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 05, 2012, 09:22:06 AM
Me too....I said I would only ever consider once it hit the bargain bins, so my bluff is being called:)  Thinking $9 might be worth the "investment" of the possibility this turns out to be a fully complete game someday.

This is a tough call. I'd rather pay full price for the game once it's fixed, but then again, the money now may help them along until they get it right (not that Stardock is starved for cash, but you get the point).

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

This is a tough call. I still haven't played my copy of the original though. $9.00 is sweet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on March 05, 2012, 11:12:52 AM

This is a tough call. I'd rather pay full price for the game once it's fixed, but then again, the money now may help them along until they get it right (not that Stardock is starved for cash, but you get the point).

Paradox. Not Stardock. And the devs, Kerberos, are pretty starved for cash. At least that was the alleged reason for releasing the game in such an unfinished state.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

Dumb question for those that already own it.  If we buy through GamersGate, do you still install the game through Steam?  I don't have any issue with Steam, just want to make sure all the frequent patches are available to me if I purchase.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 05, 2012, 12:21:06 PM
Dumb question for those that already own it.  If we buy through GamersGate, do you still install the game through Steam?  I don't have any issue with Steam, just want to make sure all the frequent patches are available to me if I purchase.

That is what I was wondering since GG is not always on top of patch releases. A serial key for use on Steam would be just the ticket.

Dean Edell

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 05, 2012, 12:30:10 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 05, 2012, 12:21:06 PM

That is what I was wondering since GG is not always on top of patch releases. A serial key for use on Steam would be just the ticket.

I did notice on the requirements page at GG it does say Steamworks required.....so....thinking that ultimately it has to be installed and attached to Steam....but would love confirmation from someone who has purchased from GG.

Nefaro

It'll still be on sale dirt cheap, or cheaper, after receiving it's final update.  No worries.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on March 05, 2012, 12:36:27 PM

It'll still be on sale dirt cheap, or cheaper, after receiving it's final update.  No worries.

I am sure it can go cheaper, but I also have the lifetime 15% on top of that which takes it down to something like $7.64 and throw in some blue coins down to having to pay like $6.  The difference between buying now and later not much of a factor for me, since the diference is the price of a Big Mac and fries:)

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 05, 2012, 12:07:56 PM

Paradox. Not Stardock. And the devs, Kerberos, are pretty starved for cash. At least that was the alleged reason for releasing the game in such an unfinished state.

I realized that about a minute after I posted it. Sorry.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

This is a tough call. I'd rather pay full price for the game once it's fixed
Same here.  As a rule, I definitely prefer to pay full-price for a working, fun game, than pay dirt-cheap for a game that still has many features that are missing and/or not working as intended.  Of course, I've made the occasional exception, but I doubt I'd make one for SotS2. 

Of course, Jarhead makes the game sound pretty fun already (damn him!)... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces