Readers Choice Awards: 2016 AAR of the Year Nominations

Started by bayonetbrant, February 11, 2016, 04:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Getcher nominations in for AAR of the year!

Tentative rule:  must have at least 5 updates/episodes/posts in the year for which it is nominated

What do you guys think?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Boggit

@Brant
Yes, I think there has to be some continuity. 5 posts/updates is fair, and not a very high bar to pass. I'll contradict myself now: Does it really matter if there are only say 3 or 4 updates if the AAR is outstanding?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

FWIW, I've only read a few AAR's so far this year, so my opinion is based on very limited experience.

One of my favourites is the Barbarossa one between Barthheart and Jason Pratt. Both threads are very well written, with a good sense of humour. So far both are highly entertaining in my opinion. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bayonetbrant

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 11, 2016, 04:41:08 PMon this site or from anywhere?

there are other sites?  ;)

nah, bring them in from wherever.  Ours are the best and are going to win anyway  O:-)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 11, 2016, 05:53:23 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 11, 2016, 04:41:08 PMon this site or from anywhere?

there are other sites?  ;)

nah, bring them in from wherever.  Ours are the best and are going to win anyway  O:-)

absolutely - just wondered, there are some awesome paradox ones

mirth

I am going to preemptively nominate Airborne Rifles for his CMANO AARs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on February 11, 2016, 06:03:51 PM
I am going to preemptively nominate Airborne Rifles for his CMANO AARs.

Many thanks. Another one is in the works.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

I will second AR's CMANO AAR's.  KyzBP and 'geek's WitPAE AAR is good, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

Wait, will there be two categories, one for digital AARs and one for tabletop AARs?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on February 11, 2016, 08:45:10 PM
Wait, will there be two categories, one for digital AARs and one for tabletop AARs?

nope

Sir Slash

Oh hell. This was my idea and now I'm torn between the AAR's already mentioned here. But I gotta stick with my original pick, the WitP AE AAR of Geek and KyzBP. It's not only entertaining but informative and they've both been great at answering dumb questions asked by us. It takes so long to play this game that it could also qualify as last year's and next year's AAR too.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jomni

KyzBP's is the most engaging for me.

My criteria is engagement, ease of reading, frequency updates.

mirth