WarNo by Eugen - aka WARGAME 4

Started by Destraex, December 17, 2021, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

WARGAME 4 all but announced. Their is a tease up on the latest SD2 blog that has A10s and Abrams sillouettes. :(
Gotta say I am bummed. The market is flooded with at least two other games already in development in the same genre, Broken Arrow and Regiments. Then you have armored brigade which is basically the same thing.

Will Eugen continue to develop Steel Division games? To me the problem with modern systems in game is that their is very little depth to stories because their is no history to get into and read about in the background. Their is also a lot of guesswork and very little concrete information on the weapons systems to be had. I mean a lot of it is classified or just hard to quantify as well as never having faced the other weapons systems, so we really have no idea how they would perform. Which results in an almost sci-fi style game with units and history that could be considered to be made up. No real life experience to draw upon.

Therefore I am hoping that Eugen have expanded and can handle more than one project at once. I very much doubt it though. I am now resigning myself to the fact that one of my favourite games ever is about to take a population dive that may kill it off.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/919640/discussions/0/4841930637290119920/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

NEWS: Steel Balalaika the Broken Arrow dev is almost entirely made up of ex Eugen staff from the strike..... world explodes!! So essentially we have a giant fight for whether the split company will survive.

From the forums by a standard forum user if it is true:

"Yes. He left the studio after the strike of some years ago. Steel Balalaika (BA's dev) is almost entirely composed by ex Eugen staff + some russian guys. This is why the game look so close to a WG: it's basically an unofficial WG."

I wonder if the game that really looked very similar to Red Dragon a while back that got banned has anything to do with this??

Eugen might need ww2 time period guys more than ever then. If they are going to be competing with a company that will take some of their sales. Hopefully more Steel Division theatres are forthcoming. But this does explain why SD2 has been in afterburner mode for some years. Even though their have been a tonne of improvements. There has been nothing too major. Maps were needed and no map modding tools or city maps that were kinda coming got released. The Eugen team would at my guess have been both understrength and missing some key members from the strike at the same time as gearing up to compete with the strikers upcoming competing game in their market space.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on December 17, 2021, 01:54:35 AM
WARGAME 4 all but announced. Their is a tease up on the latest SD2 blog that has A10s and Abrams sillouettes. :(
Gotta say I am bummed. The market is flooded with at least two other games already in development in the same genre, Broken Arrow and Regiments. Then you have armored brigade which is basically the same thing.

Will Eugen continue to develop Steel Division games? To me the problem with modern systems in game is that their is very little depth to stories because their is no history to get into and read about in the background. Their is also a lot of guesswork and very little concrete information on the weapons systems to be had. I mean a lot of it is classified or just hard to quantify as well as never having faced the other weapons systems, so we really have no idea how they would perform. Which results in an almost sci-fi style game with units and history that could be considered to be made up. No real life experience to draw upon.

Therefore I am hoping that Eugen have expanded and can handle more than one project at once. I very much doubt it though. I am now resigning myself to the fact that one of my favourite games ever is about to take a population dive that may kill it off.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/919640/discussions/0/4841930637290119920/

You're very pessimistic. I mean, are you suggesting that there are too many cold war/modern era wargames of this caliber and that instead, they should be working on a game set in World War 2? Because there just aren't enough wargames set on the Western or Eastern Front and we clearly need another.  :idiot2:

A modern wargame is akin to "sci-fi" because there hasn't been a major conventional confrontation in the late 20th or early 21st century? That's just crazy talk, dude.

Eugen does work on multiple projects at once. They have worked on nation packs for Wargame Red Dragon and DLC for SD2 at the same time. I too would love for them to be working on multiple projects, and as much as I also love SD2, more WWII is not what we need.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Cold War Game was the other one I was thinking about.

Yes I am a bit bias when it comes to ww2 Eugen style games with the massive RTS zoom maps when we have 3 modern ones in development and historically another 3 from Eugen. We then have 2 ww2 games done by Eugen on different fronts with very specific time frames and a lot of theatres left to do.

Modern:
Wargame European Escalation
Wargame Air Land Battle
Wargame Red Dragon

Broken Arrow
Regiments
Armored Core
Wargame 4 (don't know what the name is yet)

Cold War game - attempted and shut down I think?

WW2
Steel Division 1 Normandy
Steel Division 2 Bagration

Don't get me wrong. I will probably buy and play wargame 4 or Broken Arrow. BUT I think ww2 is much easier to do in a game of this scale, modern requires a lot more range even than the eugen maps have at the high end of things to do really well.
I was actually hoping that Eugen were going to do a Napoleonic or Pike and Shot game. I just did not want another modern game in this specific RTS genre.
Which to me is a semi-realistic (but as realistic as possible) RTS game with a very large scale map that allows for some reasonable force sized strategy that is a little more like the force sizes actually used to attack. It's not the calibre it's the specific type of RTS that is now going to have two more modern games of which I have played at least three before. That's over double what the ww2 era has and more than any other era they could do.

Eugen worked on SD2 on the back burner I would say trickling out content while I would guess a huge portion of Eugens staff worked on the next cold war title. I would not say they are good at working on two things at once. It takes years for them to give a few new sides. SD2 still has a few things to come and I will continue to enjoy it. 

As for modern wargames being akin to "sci-fi" that is obvious exagerration by me. But would you not agree that ww2 had many engagements testing most equipment extensively and that there is a massive amount of both first hand and reported and researched primary evidence for ww2? While a ficticious cold war or after engagement between at least two major powers thus testing all new weapons systems, doctrines etc and how things go down is largely unexplored? It is largely guesswork. It's fictional and it involves science... well maybe not so much science.

I am looking forward to seeing what Wargame 4 offers. To give modern warfare a good go I would say the maps need to be A LOT larger. Especially if they include ships again.

Destraex

This teaser just came out on Eugen's channel. January 20th 2022 for early access

Toonces

Certainly when there are multiple, similar games competing for a multiplayer market it can serve to divide the community.  Frequently it seems that one rises to the top, and that can kill games that have an MP focus.

I'm thinking Hell Let Loose vs. Post Scriptum.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I love everything about that trailer. I may even go in on the early access. Did a search and can't find it on Steam to wishlist, though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Yeah they have some technical issues with the steam page atm.

Vulcanhd managed to get to it though

GeneralHawk

Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Grim.Reaper

Although all of these games look nice and bought them all, simply play to fast and crazy for my likes.  Too much to worry about controlling so likely will sit this one out

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Destraex

Steam page says:

This game is not yet available on Steam
Planned Release Date: 19 December
This game plans to unlock in approximately 20 hours

RELEASE DATE: 19 Dec, 2021

I think it's a mistake... surely a mistake?

GeneralHawk

Might unlock for purchase, but from all info available early access gameplay starts Jan 20, 2022.
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF