Quote from: bbmike on February 07, 2017, 01:45:43 PM
I'm more impressed with this:

And yes, I have one as well.  :clap:

:)

Makes my wife jump every time she enters the room.  >:D

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on February 07, 2017, 04:17:24 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 07, 2017, 09:19:53 AM
Great pics Barth.  I'm rather envious of your gaming table right now.  :)

+1 Sweet table!

Thanks all. I'm really happy with it. The table is large enough for my larger games. Once I get the cover made I can have several games setup and going at once.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Met up with a couple of friends today and finally managed to get Tide of Iron on the table.  Setup is a chore but the game itself moved very quickly and was a lot of fun.  We played two scenarios.  The first saw the Red Devils fighting the 346th Infantry division at Breville.  German StuG IIIG's and well placed MG34s chewed up the paras pretty badly but some well placed mortar rounds knocked out the MG crews and Sherman tanks from the Royal Hussars used their mobility to get on the flanks of the StuGs and take them out.

The second game was a really fun match up and was tense right to the end.  During the Battle of the Bulge, US Engineers try to hold up the advance of Kampfgruppe Peiper long enough for a bridge to be blown.

I played as the Yanks and just dug in hard.  I placed mines in order to funnel Germans down the two main roads and then chipped away at them with MG, mortars, small arms and even satchel charges.  I was able to hold up their infantry reasonably well and make them form mass fire and assault teams to clear each one of my squads out of their entrenchments one by one.  Then the Royal Tigers showed up.  They blew the hell out of my few remaining strongpoints and made a bee-line for the bridge.  I immobilized one with liberal use of bazookas at suicidally close range (the bazooka teams took 87% casualties).  On the final turn, the remaining Tiger had a clear run at the bridge but needed all 6 of its movement points to reach it.  I had one last engineer squad with some demo charges right next to the bridge.  They chucked the charges at the passing Tiger and damaged it just enough to cause it to lose 1MP and prevented it from reaching the bridge, giving the US the win 1 one hex.

I think I prefer Company of Heroes as it's much less of a hassle to set up but this game is fun as well.  It brought back memories of all the high points of Squad Leader with a much more streamlined game play. 

I think if I we play again, I might just pre-build the squads for both sides beforehand in order to cut down on setup.  Each squad comes with a base with four holes in it and you take individual soldier units and stick them into the base to build squads of officers, riflemen, MGs, mortars, etc.  Takes quite a bit of time to dig out all the minis, sort them, and snap them into the bases.

bayonetbrant

Once you get minis into the bases, just leave them there and modify as needed for each scenario you play, rather than take them apart / put them together after each game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not a bad idea but I'm going to have to come up with a different storage system if I do that.  I bought a couple of cheapo little storage boxes from Michael's.  They work great for storing the bases and the figures but there's not enough room in the storage spaces for an assembled stand.

We played again tonight and did a Sword beach scenario.  It wasn't as fun as the other two we tried yesterday.  The special rules felt a little too gamey and it detracted from the gameplay.  Still enjoying it though.

Bison

Got Scythe to the table this evening at the FLGS.  What an outstanding game, but I did forget to snap a photo.  :(

BanzaiCat

Got home today to find 8th Summit's game, Defenders of the Last Stand, waiting for me. I definitely want to get it to the table, but now I turn around and leave for Scotland this Saturday, so I gotta figure out a game or two that I can fit in the suitcase just in case the weather sucks and/or I don't have anyone to hang out with after hours there. Cruel Necessity is topping the list for its theme and because I still haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Wish I could get Defenders of the Last Stand in my suitcase, but the box is big AND heavy. Plus I really shouldn't be banking on solitaire games when I'm going to be visiting a centuries-old city, but I should at least be prepared.

bob48

How long are you going to be staying there, BC?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bob48 on February 12, 2017, 05:21:07 PM
How long are you going to be staying there, BC?

I arrive early Sunday morning and am leaving again on Saturday (morning, I think).

The head of HR for the area I'm working with recommended I stay in Glasgow itself as there's nothing going on in Dumbarton. I'm not a big 'wander around' kind of guy on my own, especially not in a city/country I've never been to.

Not sure where I'm staying at yet; they were going to take care of those arrangements on their end, and I just didn't have it in me to check my laptop today.

Bison

Played a game of Race for the Galaxy with the wife tonight.  I really like the game a good bit of strategy, thinking, and luck.

bayonetbrant

that's a fun one.  Only played it once, but enjoyed it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

It's a surprising brain burner.  Lot's of ways to build economic engines to score points or develop your tableau to score points. 

Woodall

I really enjoy getting trashed by Keldon's AI over and over... evidently I'm terrible at the game. Think the design is brilliant though. Though most of what Lehmann touches is great.

Bison

Quote from: jwoodall04 on February 12, 2017, 10:25:11 PM
I really enjoy getting trashed by Keldon's AI over and over... evidently I'm terrible at the game.

Me too :( 

Brant if you want you can download a free program to play against the AI here: http://keldon.net/rftg/
It has both windows and mac programs.  I haven't tried the mac version yet.

bayonetbrant

I don't have my own copy of the game yet.  I was playing at a game night hosted by someone else.