What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Quote from: Pinetree on September 30, 2017, 07:21:01 PM
Played 3 turns in a learning game of Fields of Fire last night. I've gone straight to Vietnam. Made quite a few errors but had a blast. GMT forgot to add counters for the flight leader activations so had to make my own.

I can't stay focused long enough when trying to process these rules - I really want to play out the Vietnam campaign as well.  I've sat through a number of the training videos but to be honest, they're boring as snot.  Someone on some group agreed that they really don't give a good sense of how tense the game gets and they aren't very good selling points but they do cover the game mechanics.  Did you just trudge through that rulebook or did you rely on videos or other training aids?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Pinetree

I watched the videos first, I thought they were pretty good myself. I found the ones by Mike Whitmore (Counterattack on youtube) the best.  After watching those I find that the rulebook isn't so bad. For the Vietnam campaign there's a playthrough to download on BGG of the first couple of turns from mission 1 that I used. I used that person's company roster and air assault loading plan so I could get straight into it.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

BanzaiCat

I need to start drinking whiskey just so I can buy those glasses. :(

I wonder if I can use my HSA card to buy it? ;D

GJK

It would probably make for a great dice tumbler.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I'm looking at the OGRE 6th Edition set. Not the ridiculous $200+ version but the much more reasonable $27 one on Amazon right now.

I never played OGRE back in the day but am thinking and have read this is a great light wargame (despite it's size) and a quick player, too.

Might be fun to play in the forums also.

mirth

I've long thought about picking up OGRE.

BanzaiCat

I went ahead and did it. The price ($27) was too good to pass up, and I can get the expansion set for $12 later if I want to. I already saw a bunch of unboxing videos on it so I know what's under the hood - much lighter than compared to the DE version, which it's my understanding weighs about 30 pounds. Amazon was selling the DE version for about $224. Fuuuuuuug no.

mirth

Give me the link to what you just bought

BanzaiCat

BanzaiCat

Here's an unboxing video of this particular version.