What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

You don't get a full night's sleep each night, do you?

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Crossroads

What's on my table, and soon on my floor I hope, is the complete SPI Central Front saga  :hug: I had the four magazine games as they are rather easy to find, but was looking for longest time for the Hof Gap, the only one sold as a boxed set.

Finally found a copy from the BGG, it was priced rather accordingly for the rarity it is, but as the most distinguished gentleman selling the game agreed to take a tenner from the ask price, and put two Va Victis magazine games to the sale as well (Dien Bin Phu and Yom Kippur), it was a no-brainer to pull the trigger and to go for it.

:smitten:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Central Front map art is imho some of the finest Redmond Simonsen put together:

I made that very comment to a German friend of mine, and while he agreed in principle, he added "if you don't mind geographical correctness". The towns around Frankfurt sure are a bit here and there.

Facts. Overrated!

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

Very cool. The only one I ever had, and played, from the series was BAOR.

Having the whole series setup at once would be very cool.

PICS!  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on October 03, 2017, 07:07:35 AM

I just need to throw the family out of our house first (and the cat. especially the cat!), and then sell all our living room furniture. So give me a couple of days  O:-)

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on October 03, 2017, 07:18:57 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 03, 2017, 07:07:35 AM

I just need to throw the family out of our house first (and the cat. especially the cat!), and then sell all our living room furniture. So give me a couple of days  O:-)

:bd:

BanzaiCat

Crossroads

BanzaiCat

I broke out War in the Wind from Compass last night. Really nice map.

BanzaiCat

Tried a turn earlier. The game includes a few things that are interesting (not revolutionary, but challenging). Playing it solo does not make things easy.

Friendly artillery takes a step loss if you roll too low on your fire die (representing them getting immersed in the soft ground and becoming impossible to use). The landings can be hairy since there's a chance units might overstack a landing zone, and if that happens, there will be losses. Also, all Japanese infantry begin the game in an opaque cup; there's 64 Jap infantry units being represented by 16 unknown units on the board. Whenever they're revealed, you roll a die and place 1-3 steps of infantry in its place. Also, the supply rules for the U.S. player are a beast and a half.

Here, I made my landings on Turn 1, fired both my arty units to clear Engineer Hill (got ONE lousy hit out of ten die rolls, but that's enough to temporarily remove the Jap unknown unit - they possibly return later, ergo why I say 'temporarily'; also, both arty units lost a step too). Lost one step of infantry in a botched landing, too. Not a great start.

BanzaiCat