What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Theoretically it's a game of logistics, but really it's just a highly stylized version of Agricola.  :D

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 06, 2017, 11:04:45 AM
Theoretically it's a game of logistics, but really it's just a highly stylized version of Agricola.  :D

You really know how to hurt me.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Never the less it's a fun game with war themes and elements. 

Honestly it's a resource pickup and deliver game more like Steam or similar railroad games with a good amount of take that elements to make the "race" fun and challenging.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

The stack:
Unconditional Surrender, which is on hold until my mounted map boards come in next week.  I got a good deal at the FLGS.
Great Battles of the American Revolution.  It's the new tri-pack of games.  Pages through the rules.  Beautiful boards but perhaps too much production value given the limited number of scenarios.
Wilderness War.  CDG.  Frankly not a lot of options for this particular conflict.
C&C Napolean.  Should have the blocks stickered sometime this decade.
Clash of Giants: Civil War.  Rules read just need to put the map under the plexiglass and play.  Simple rules.  Not sure how I'll like some of the abstractions like artillery. 

mirth

I'm getting my mounted map boards for US on Saturday.

Bison

Nice!  It'll be interesting to see how well the hexes line up between the boards. 

mirth

Bison

Yeah!  The owner and I were talking about similar boards from like US Civil War and he said that he still puts them under plexiglass.  I don't recall exactly the paper map alignment exactly, but I think the board splits countries like Poland and Czechoslovakia in half.

mirth

I'll put mounted boards under plexi for the protection.

Bison

I need a bigger piece of plexiglass.  I think mine is something like 36X30 or something like that but I know it doesn't cover the two maps for Ukraine 43 completely.  I want to build a 48X48" table topper.  Felt lining the bottom and a piece of plexiglass to cover paper maps. 

mirth

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2017, 11:18:30 PM
I need a bigger piece of plexiglass.  I think mine is something like 36X30 or something like that but I know it doesn't cover the two maps for Ukraine 43 completely.  I want to build a 48X48" table topper.  Felt lining the bottom and a piece of plexiglass to cover paper maps. 

I need a larger piece of plexi as well. I like the table topper idea.

Bison

I've got a quick, simple design planned, but the most expensive thing is the plexiglass.  Plywood, wood trim, and felt less than $30 easily.  Plexiglass is going to most likely double that cost.

mirth

That's still not too bad though. I need something like that myself. Could be a nice DIY project for after the holidays.

bob48

Quote from: Bison on December 07, 2017, 10:52:36 PM
The stack:
Unconditional Surrender, which is on hold until my mounted map boards come in next week.  I got a good deal at the FLGS.
Great Battles of the American Revolution.  It's the new tri-pack of games.  Pages through the rules.  Beautiful boards but perhaps too much production value given the limited number of scenarios.
Wilderness War.  CDG.  Frankly not a lot of options for this particular conflict.
C&C Napolean.  Should have the blocks stickered sometime this decade.
Clash of Giants: Civil War.  Rules read just need to put the map under the plexiglass and play.  Simple rules.  Not sure how I'll like some of the abstractions like artillery.

I have it, and while the arty rules do seem strange at first, it does sorta work. For a pretty simple game system, its actually quite good fun to play.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!