What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on January 24, 2018, 02:21:21 PM
Ah, but then you can embed the photos that are attached. Here's some examples: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20828.0

Not many people who attach their images seem to do that, but it is nice that you do.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

If you're doing a long-form AAR, isn't that the only option - to embed images hosted on another site?

I thought attaching them to your posts here means they go to the bottom of your post.

Barthheart

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 24, 2018, 04:26:54 PM
If you're doing a long-form AAR, isn't that the only option - to embed images hosted on another site?

I thought attaching them to your posts here means they go to the bottom of your post.

They do, but they also generate a link you can then embed. From Barth's example:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=20828.0;attach=11663;image
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

bbmike

Maybe storage space isn't an issue, but if everyone attached the images instead of linking to them I would think that would take up space and maybe even slow the web server a bit?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on January 24, 2018, 04:28:03 PM
Look at the example I linked.

I did. Read what I said. :P

"long form" meaning, long AAR post with images interspersed throughout. Like my D&D AARs.

Unless I'm totally missing something, because that link just shows one image per post? Could be I'm just ignorant.

bob48

Quote from: bbmike on January 24, 2018, 04:35:47 PM
Maybe storage space isn't an issue, but if everyone attached the images instead of linking to them I would think that would take up space and maybe even slow the web server a bit?

And that is why I seemed to remember that we had been requested, back in the early days of Grogs, to use hosting sites like FB.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 24, 2018, 04:38:28 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 24, 2018, 04:28:03 PM
Look at the example I linked.

I did. Read what I said. :P

"long form" meaning, long AAR post with images interspersed throughout. Like my D&D AARs.

Unless I'm totally missing something, because that link just shows one image per post? Could be I'm just ignorant.

Sigh.... fine look at this example then: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=19134.0

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Barth. I didn't recall that AAR being embedded like that. I appreciate it.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 24, 2018, 04:35:47 PM

Could be a storage issue. Not sure about performance issues. Takes time for the page to load the files regardless of where they are stored. I guess there could be problems if you can attach massive images to the posts. I haven't looked to closely at the limits on attachments here. Most of the image hosting sites seem to automatically optimize the images as you upload them.

BanzaiCat

I imagine performance might be lessened from the site here calling the URLs from image hosting sites? Maybe not that big a deal, but if there's a lot of users online at the same time, perhaps? I'm curious.

Usually I upload them as is/large-sized, then change their size in the tag in the post if necessary.

W8taminute

Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Map overview

Player aid card
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 25, 2018, 07:02:49 AM
Usually I upload them as is/large-sized, then change their size in the tag in the post if necessary.

I do the same with my pics, usually fairly large upload and resize in the tag.

I didn't come up with this either. I noticed that Airboy was using this technique in his AARs. http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18129.0

If told not to do it I'll stop but I've not read anything on the site that suggests it's a bad thing.

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on January 25, 2018, 08:02:00 AM
Game of Thrones: The Board Game

Not a fan of Game of Thrones but that still looks pretty cool.