Trials and tribulations of owning a house

Started by Jarhead0331, February 06, 2021, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fran

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2021, 09:48:00 PM
We had a similar family-oriented event after my Father died. My brother, sister and myself had to jointly fix-up the old family home and sell it followed by splitting the sale 3 ways. We damned near ended-up in a sibling-on-sibling war over who was responsible for what and who did more or less than the others. Take it from me Steve, everybody involved discuss roles and responsibilities in as unemotional and loving way as possible and come to a mutually agreed upon understanding. Our family still suffers from some of the ill feelings that occurred and this was never the way our parents wanted us to be. One house is not worth destroying a whole family's relationship over. My 2 cents.

Wow, this is never easy to do.

steve58

So a day later and things are a bit better.  Soaked carpet is up and surprisingly, we are still getting some showings, from some flippers.  Guess a little water didn't bother them.  Insurance guy says the WH is on us.   ???

Slash, sorry to hear that.  Hopefully, as they say, time heals all wounds.  Yes there has been a hurt/annoyed/irritated/etc feeling or two or three through the process, but for the most part I think my siblings and I will still be together after all is said and done.  We might get irritated sometimes, but there won't be no killings. :hug:  Ma and Pa did a good job raising us. :bd: 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

steve58

So we (siblings and I) got a buyer for $10K over asking price...on an "as is" house that is as old as I am (we moved into the house that my parents designed and had built when I was 5 months old)...which I'll just say is 50++ years old.  Hope it all works out and closes asap because...

...my wife and I are putting our house on the market on Monday.  Its been about 16 years since we last went through this and I didn't like it then and don't like it now.  Not a big fan of change, especially big ones like this.   :pullhair:

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

why?  IMO its a bad time to sell for the simple reason that you now have to buy back into a very over inflated market.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Because...four simple words:  "Happy wife, happy life".   :)

RussEllis

Recently, our house was thoroughly floored by a strong hurricane, because of which we had to do a complete renovation of the whole house. Of course, we weren't happy about it, but we had no other choice. It's good that we could send the children to live with my parents for a while, and we engaged in repairs with my wife and hired designers from Boutique Home Plans to decide on the best design ASAP, which will help avoid such incidents in the future. I'm glad that we turned to this company because their work was done quite quickly and accurately. The children were delighted with the new design and that they would finally have different rooms.

Sir Slash

Damn, that's tough Russ. We have dodged the last 2 with only minor damage here. But I know, The Big One's out there somewhere, someday.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

Wanted to throw a positive house upgrade in here. Just completed installing solar.
I have a 125% of my usage covered. Selling excess credits back and they don't look bad.
Did a lot of research incl a NPV analysis of opportunity cost.
Not for everyone but a good deal for me
Con

Gusington

Always interested in solar but because of the woods around our house and the exposure (house faces north) I don't think we can do it...yet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: RussEllis on March 18, 2022, 03:12:37 PM
Recently, our house was thoroughly floored by a strong hurricane, because of which we had to do a complete renovation of the whole house.

who gets hit by a hurricane in March?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

derffales

C:-)

steve58

Wife and I are in the middle of having a house built (yes, even in this crazy ass fubar economy :idiot2:).  Thinking about adding in a propane gas fireplace, mostly as a secondary heat source for cold weather power outages.  Any of you grogs have one installed?  Any problems, like excess soot, humidity?  TIA.

Gusington

The propane tank will be installed somewhere externally, yes?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

gas would come from the mains under the street.