Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Came across this interesting graphic on Twitter that shows American military bases in Europe dependency on Russian fossil fuels.  With Russia cutting off LNG supplies to Europe, I suspect the commanders in Europe are getting more than a little worried about their Strategic and Operational Readiness.

https://watson.brown.edu/climatesolutionslab/research/2022/mapping-us-military-dependence-russian-fossil-fuels

Apologies if it has been previously posted...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 30, 2022, 03:24:28 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 29, 2022, 04:40:42 PM
and heres your helmet video:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1563628411255496704

Stay away from that guy in a head-butting fight...well actually just stay away from that guy in any fight...

I assure you my head is thicker.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Wow, I hadn't even thought of the effect of shutting off the LNG to NATO forces...  #:-) L:-) That could add another strategic constraint for next year, easily.

Meanwhile, tonight's Enforcer news catchup -- pre-produced, not live, for a while due to the accidental copyright strike (no live shows for 7 days). It just started about 30 minutes ago, so I haven't watched it all yet, but when I saw the first visual confirmation of Uk pilots using HARMs, I thought I'd post up early:

Since the broadcast is ongoing as I type, I can't give an exact timestamp (not good at reverse time math!) but it's only a few minutes into the cast. Mig-29 footage is excellent!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Steve, the fossil fuel map of US bases is interesting.  I wonder how much of that electrical generation is mission-critical for a warfighting environment?  I honestly have no idea how to measure that, but I'd be surprised if the Department of Defense bureaucrats have much idea, either.

The US energy dependence on Russia and the Middle East has been one of the most sadly neglected areas of US policy for at least two decades now.  There are a lot of reasons why (some good, others bad), but it's simply not been a topic that either political party has been eager to embrace except on very particular issues (e.g., Republicans urging "Drill, baby, drill!"  while Democrats scream "Renewables Now!!!!" at the top of their lungs). 

Like most things that have required some degree of personal sacrifice on the part of American citizens, our politicians have mostly avoided the topic for a long time now.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Sir Slash

Looks like they know what they're doing.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

3 maps trying to show whats happening now:

map 1 from soviet milbloggers:

map 2 from twitter osint:

map 3 is some google mishmash:

map 4 is Austerlitz, which makes more sense if you were to zoom out any of the previous maps:

FarAway Sooner

Interesting.  I wish any of those maps had a scale.

JasonPratt

Looks like the Enforcer's channel has suffered a massive HIMARs strike from Youtube, for whatever reason: depending on what tab you check on his channel, they've left him either one or several videos of the 180ish he had earlier this week.  :-\

So no more updates from there for a while.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 31, 2022, 06:40:35 PM
Looks like they know what they're doing.  :coolsmiley:

It looks like the Russians have figured out a cheaper way to get rid of their industrialists -- just throw them out of sixth-floor windows (and note that 5 other industrialists have "committed suicide" in the last few months (from CNN):

The chairman of Russian oil and gas giant Lukoil — which spoke out against Russia's invasion of Ukraine — has died after falling out of a hospital window, state news agencies RIA Novosti and TASS reported Thursday.

Ravil Maganov died at the Central Clinical Hospital west of Moscow, according to the reports, which cite the hospital and law enforcement sources.

"The incident occurred around 07:00 am Moscow time in the Central Clinical Hospital ... The man fell out of the sixth-floor window and died as a result of his injuries," a source told TASS.

Lukoil confirmed Maganov's death in a statement published on its website, saying only that the executive died "following a severe illness" and making no mention of a fall.

"We deeply regret to announce that Ravil Maganov, Chairman of PJSC LUKOIL Board of Directors, passed away following a severe illness," the statement read. "Ravil Maganov immensely contributed to the development of not only the Company, but of the entire Russian oil and gas sector."

Russia's second largest oil company made headlines in early March after speaking out against Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

"The Board of Directors of LUKOIL expresses herewith its deepest concerns about the tragic events in Ukraine. Calling for the soonest termination of the armed conflict, we express our sincere empathy for all victims, who are affected by this tragedy," reads a statement from the board of directors to shareholders, staff and customers published March 3.

"We strongly support a lasting ceasefire and a settlement of problems through serious negotiations and diplomacy," added the statement.

Lukoil produces more than 2% of the world's crude oil and employs more than 100,000 people.

RIA Novosti quoted a law enforcement source who said the businessman "most likely committed suicide."

"Yes, we can confirm the fact [of death]. Investigating authorities are working on the spot to establish the causes of the incident," the source said, according to RIA.

At least five prominent Russian businessmen have reportedly died by suicide since late January, according to previous CNN reporting.

JasonPratt

I thought I saw a headline this morning that Putin has fired his defense minister?

Sir Slash

:o  In Putin's Russia, you no commit suicide, suicide commits YOU.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: MengJiao on September 01, 2022, 08:09:12 AM
At least five prominent Russian businessmen have reportedly died by suicide since late January, according to previous CNN reporting.[/b]

Suicide à la Rommel.

Quote from: MengJiao on September 01, 2022, 08:09:12 AM
died "following a severe illness".

Allergic to concrete sidewalks ?

Sir Slash

It's not the fall that kills you....  ::)