Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 08, 2015, 09:06:49 AM
the source of the drug has been in the galnet news for weeks, you have to read these little stories to pick up clues on something the devs are pointing you to - around christmas the planet was getting carpet bombed to stop the flow of drugs as it was becoming more popular, then the governor of the planet put out a cry for help to get guns brought to the planet to fend off the attackers and AFAIK they won and the flood gates have opened again

and......

theres a thread in the elite forum about a guy asking for smuggling tips, and one guy pointed him there, so i followed!
I didn't honestly think all that stuff related to in-game. I mean, I knew it related to the game - but not "content"...I just thought it was a story  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: republic on January 09, 2015, 10:12:36 AM
That is the major issue I have with the game right now is the inability to move your ships about.  Even a transfer fee and timer would be nice.  Pay x money and have to wait so many hours or something.

My other issue is supercruise.  Sometimes it decelerates quickly, sometimes it decelerates so slowly I bypass my destination by hundreds of light seconds...  I've found if I keep it at a 6 second arrival time I can do it right most of the time...but I feel like it is unnecessarily difficult.

However, even with these issues this is the best Space sim and best MMO I've ever played in my life by far.
With the super cruise, I'm at full throttle. As I get to 250-300Ls away, I decrease the throttle to the blue area and from there I decrease it slowly as I get closer. I've noticed at some points your super cruise is uncontrolabble and you go whizzing past. There seems to be a point (and I don't know where that is) where reducing the throttle has no effect and your speed still increases...and then slowly comes back down to you, by which time I am well past my destination.

I reckon 90-95% of the time I call it right.

And I agree with both your other points. A transfer of ships would be nice - like I said, maybe there's a reason for it - and the best space flight/trading/fighting sim I have ever played.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

What kind of amateur shit is this?

I went to update my game from the Gamma version, and the updater refused to .. update itself.  After manually doing it, the damn game refused to accept my password for the release version too.  So I had to reset that crap.  Then it would send me an additional 'confirmation code' via email, without telling me it required such a thing, so it took another five tries before I noticed my email being filled up with one of these each time I tried and failed with a non-descript login error.  Thanks for notifying me about that on the login screen errors guys! :tickedoff:

The login was a mess.  Hopefully I'm past the screwy hump.  There any large bugs or crash triggers I should know about?

mikeck

lol...I have to say that I am less than impressed with the update system. For each update I have to download a new extractor, then the new update, then install. Is it really necessary? Why can't I just hit "update" and the program updates itself. Just not sure why we need a new extractor everytime. Oh well. Considering the scope of the game, not a big issue
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on January 09, 2015, 01:13:50 PM
lol...I have to say that I am less than impressed with the update system. For each update I have to download a new extractor, then the new update, then install. Is it really necessary? Why can't I just hit "update" and the program updates itself. Just not sure why we need a new extractor everytime. Oh well. Considering the scope of the game, not a big issue

That is very bizarre. I have not required a new extractor since it went Gamma. I press the update button and it updates...No fuss, no muss.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2015, 01:48:01 PM

That is very bizarre. I have not required a new extractor since it went Gamma. I press the update button and it updates...No fuss, no muss.
Same here  ???
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on January 09, 2015, 11:51:20 AM
What kind of amateur shit is this?

I went to update my game from the Gamma version, and the updater refused to .. update itself.  After manually doing it, the damn game refused to accept my password for the release version too.  So I had to reset that crap.  Then it would send me an additional 'confirmation code' via email, without telling me it required such a thing, so it took another five tries before I noticed my email being filled up with one of these each time I tried and failed with a non-descript login error.  Thanks for notifying me about that on the login screen errors guys! :tickedoff:

The login was a mess.  Hopefully I'm past the screwy hump.  There any large bugs or crash triggers I should know about?
lol  :P

No bugs that I've noticed...only my shite gaming style!
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 09, 2015, 01:55:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 09, 2015, 01:48:01 PM

Same here  ???

Me too.... Very weird

When ever a new launcher is required it will tell you on the forum or when you press update, last one was gamma for me

For super cruise I get to 225ls from the destination and then drop to blue..... Never fails unleas I've been in sc for a while and my speed is epic, in which case I drop to blue at 500

mikeck

I should specify. I have not had to do it for the last few but they were small. In beta and I to gamma, you had to do it for almost every upgrade...so my assumption is that for mid sized or larger patches, that would be the case. I really shouldnt have even mentioned it since it is a very minor issue. Not like graviteam games or something.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 08, 2015, 09:06:49 AM
the source of the drug has been in the galnet news for weeks, you have to read these little stories to pick up clues on something the devs are pointing you to - around christmas the planet was getting carpet bombed to stop the flow of drugs as it was becoming more popular, then the governor of the planet put out a cry for help to get guns brought to the planet to fend off the attackers and AFAIK they won and the flood gates have opened again

and......

theres a thread in the elite forum about a guy asking for smuggling tips, and one guy pointed him there, so i followed!
How the hell did you get there? How many jumps was it? And - what about your other ship(s)?
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

In me cobra..... I'm a one ship man

If you google cmdr club elite it will link you to a route planning tool, put in destination and current location and jump range and it will work it out for you all the way from a to b

JudgeDredd

Let me tell you how shite I am at this game

I took a mission to take veg to a system...3 ton of veg for 2100cr. That's freakin all. I am now 7.33Ly away with no fuel to hyper jump...so I'm super crusing - I don't even know if I'm going to EVER get there super cruising...but it's all I have. The system I just left had no stations for fuel and I don't think the one before that did either...so I am lost in space - literally - for 2100cr.

So whilst I'll likely fail the mission because I've got no fuel, I'll get fined 700cr for that...and lose 1500cr on insurance...meaning yet another loss of 2200cr...more than the bloody mission was even worth!

That is how bad I am at this game. For some reason, as JH so eloquently put it, I'm swimming upstream...and the really annoying thing is - I'm trying desperately not to! How the f*ck was I meant to know in 3 systems I wouldn't find anywhere to refuel and therefore be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Are these "empty" systems everywhere - because I certainly find my fair share of them.

And before anyone suggests it - no I don't have a fuel scoop because I couldn't work out what essential system I would have to drop in order to have one!

The best most infuriating game I've ever owned.

Just blowing off steam...carry on.

Oh - and my ship is at 27% integrity because for some reason I failed to understand how to fly away from the star...several times.  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I'm not going to get there...obviously. Main fuel tank is drained.

Self destruct coming up.
Alba gu' brath

Swatter

Jarhead0331

Man alive, JD. I do feel for you. I can imagine how frustrating it would be to feel like you can never get a leg up and make real progress.

I have an idea. Next time you want to take a mission, why don't you pop in here first, or hunt one of us down on steam or something, and ask if its a trip that you can make ad if so, how. We can plot the course for you and figure the fuel you'll need, etc.?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18