Decades Feeder Bracket - 1980 Final 8

Started by MetalDog, April 25, 2017, 07:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

So I'm taking another stab at getting the voting straightened out.  The only problem I see is that you can vote for one of the instructions rather than one of the songs.  If that does happen, I will count it as a vote for the higher seed in the matchup below the faulty vote.

The bottom of the bracket went straight chalk.  It sets up some more tasty matchups.  Cars v. Once In A Lifetime and Call Me v. Brass In Pocket.  I did not intend for the ladies to face off this early, but, it happened and we'll live with the repercussions.

The top half of the bracket was where the surprise was.  Brant mentioned in the last poll that Ozzy and Priest should have had their seeds flipped and I agreed it could have been fine that way, too.  I did NOT see Lemmy losing to Rush.  Don't get me wrong, even after 35+ years, anytime Spirit comes on the radio, I crank it and bang on the steering wheel.  So I'm glad it made the next round.  But, Ace Of Spades is one of the pillars or hard rock!  I thought for sure that Motorhead would pull through.  But, such is life.  Time to vote'em up again folks!

The 1/9

The 12/13

The 3/6

The 2/7

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Crazy Train vs Spirit of the Radio should be the final... 
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Got my voting correct this time.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 25, 2017, 07:57:43 PM
Crazy Train vs Spirit of the Radio should be the final... 

Nay, Cars should face off against either Spirit of the Radio or Back in Black. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

I'm down for any matchup in the final involving Spirit of Radio.

BanzaiCat

Damn, you had to put Cars against Once In A Lifetime? Sigh...

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 25, 2017, 08:26:52 PM
Damn, you had to put Cars against Once In A Lifetime? Sigh...

On one hand agree with you BC. 

However, I like how this has played out so far.  This is my opinion, and I may not be explaining it well, but I look at Cars, Crazy Train, and Call Me  are paired with songs that are similar in style.  Not sure that is the right way to describe them.  But I would rather them square off now than two similar style in the final.  I feel if you have different styles in the final, than it becomes just as much about the style and not just the song.  Maybe that's not MD's going for, but just my thought.  After all, it's songs from a particular year, not a particular style in a given year against each other. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Nice pick up, Daddy-o!  I purposely made one side of the bracket hard rock and the other pop/New Wave.  The final should have a hard rock versus a New Wave for the title.  It seemed very appropriate when I was looking through the releases for that year to do it that way.  Some of the other years will be easy to do like that, too.  Others, I am afraid, will come down to, "The 16 Best," as unscientifically determined by me :)

BanzaiCat

I get it, but that was a tough choice. While I love 'Cars,' I really love 'Once In A Lifetime.'

MetalDog

That was also on purpose.  I tried to put songs against one another that everyone would like both to pass to the next round.  It's the first bracket I actively tried that with and I will attempt to do that more, and better, as the process goes on.

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 25, 2017, 08:38:47 PM
I get it, but that was a tough choice. While I love 'Cars,' I really love 'Once In A Lifetime.'

I totally agree.

-budd-

Man, Spirit of Radio vs Crazy Train......tough.....went with Spirit of Radio. Looks like a Back in Black vs Spirit of Radio....another tough choice. I just remember spinning Back in Black over and over and over again...TSK, TSK, TSK ...but Spirit of Radio is awesome..what to do...can't imagine anything winning but one of those three.....unless of course it's RIGGED ;D
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

bbmike

Not sure about rigged but I bet the Russians are hacking and influencing the results.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

Crazy Train has the edge.  Tie goes to the higher seed.  Spirit...has to have 1 more vote than Ozzy to win.

OJsDad

May have to setup a couple of new accounts to help out here.   >:D

Vote Early, Vote Often, right.   \m/

MetalDog