Main Menu

Sci Fi x4 game?

Started by TacticalWargames, May 01, 2014, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

With the recent spate of new releases and alpha releases what are peoples thoughts on them?

Which would you recommend taking into account I'd like detailed combat (pref turn based), ship design and ground invasions. I have my eye on Predestination..any others that are worth checking out?

Games I'm thinking about\looking at are...

Last Federation
Stardrive
Star Ruler
Horizon
Starship Corporation
Gemini War 2

Tpek

Last Federation isn't your typical 4X game.
It's something completely different.

And is there actually a Gemini Wars 2?
I remember the first wasn't very impressive.

RedArgo

There are also Lords of the Black Sun (formerly Star Lords) and M.O.R.E. that are in development.  They are both turn based with tactical combat games like Predestination.  LotBS is in beta on Steam right now.  I'm not sure where M.O.R.E. is at.  Time will tell if either of is any good. 

I think Predestination is the one I'm looking forward to the most, although I'm not sure why, since I haven't seen much of it.  I've already bought all three, because I can't stop myself. :(

TacticalWargames

Thanks..think I will wait to see what Presdestination is like..I too have a feeling it could be good..but like you not sure why.

DennisS

This is a no brainer. Head on over to Good Old Games, and pick up Master of Orion.

Anguille

Quote from: Tpek on May 01, 2014, 03:56:41 PM

Feedback about the second one (still in beta) is very very positive. I haven't jumped in yet as i don't have the time but it looks very promising.

Considering your preferences, i agree that MOO1 or MOO2 are the best choice. Among the games you mention, the closest to MOO and your preferences seems to be Horizon: Humans in Space. I am still learning the game and haven't invaded any planets but it's turn-based (also the battles) and you can design your own ships.

Anguille

Quote from: Anguille on May 02, 2014, 02:03:14 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 01, 2014, 03:56:41 PM

Feedback about the second one (still in beta) is very very positive. I haven't jumped in yet as i don't have the time but it looks very promising.

@TacticalWargames. Considering your preferences, i agree that MOO1 or MOO2 are the best choices. Among the games you mention, the closest to MOO and your preferences seems to be Horizon: Humans in Space. I am still learning the game and haven't invaded any planets but it's turn-based (also the battles) and you can design your own ships.

Tpek

Can't find anything about Gemini Wars 2.
The developers seem to have gone into hibernation or something since January this year.

Are you sure you're not mixing Gemini Wars with Starpoint Gemini (SG2 is on Early Access on Steam)?

TacticalWargames

Quote from: Tpek on May 02, 2014, 02:41:37 AM
The developers seem to have gone into hibernation or something since January this year.

Are you sure you're not mixing Gemini Wars with Starpoint Gemini (SG2 is on Early Access on Steam)?

Whoops..yes..sorry.

Anguille

Quote from: Tpek on May 02, 2014, 02:41:37 AM

Oups...indeed!

The Gemini Wars team is working on a tactical game set in the Gemini Wars universe, called Black Talons.

Tpek

Starpoint Gemini isn't a 4X game then.
It's one of those in the likes of Freelancer/Elite.

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Anguille

Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 02, 2014, 06:01:23 AM
Armada 2526 Supernova

I love it too but there's no ship design and the battles are not turn-based...still a very good recommandation.

Jarhead0331

I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king. It matches all of the criteria noted by the OP and exceeds everything else in executing it. Best ground combat, good ship design, detailed ship combat, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king. It matches all of the criteria noted by the OP and exceeds everything else in executing it. Best ground combat, good ship design, detailed ship combat, etc.

Indeed....the most complete 4x imho.