Main Menu

Sci Fi x4 game?

Started by TacticalWargames, May 01, 2014, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 02, 2014, 06:01:23 AM
Armada 2526 Supernova

If I had to pick one right now it would be Armada 2526 Supernova. But I also have to say I recently went back to Endless Space Disharmony and I'm having a lot of fun with it now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king. It matches all of the criteria noted by the OP and exceeds everything else in executing it. Best ground combat, good ship design, detailed ship combat, etc.

I was about to post the exact same.

I've got the gog version with Vanilla 1.5 installed (the bug fixes, no mod extras) and it's THE best 4x game I've played as yet.
(Windows 7 install info here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6576.30)

BTW, what other mods are good ones to try?

MuzzyDev

Quote from: Anguille on May 02, 2014, 06:23:01 AM
I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king. It matches all of the criteria noted by the OP and exceeds everything else in executing it. Best ground combat, good ship design, detailed ship combat, etc.

Indeed....the most complete 4x imho.
I was a tester at Atari when MOO3 was released.  It was universally hated by the QA team.  I've heard it eventually evolved into a good game, but I remember it as being truly awful.
Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on May 02, 2014, 07:14:34 AM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 02, 2014, 06:01:23 AM
Armada 2526 Supernova

But I also have to say I recently went back to Endless Space: Disharmony and I'm having a lot of fun with it now.

For a modern turn-based 4X space strategy game, I also turn to Endless Space

I've tried to get into Armada a few times, but it just felt cold and lifeless to me and not terribly deep except having to ship your population back & forth, which I wasn't too crazed about anyway.

There is also Space Empires IV, but it's showing some age these days.  I suppose this and MOO3 are the classics, if you can handle the fugly and lower resolution.

MuzzyDev

Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

Nefaro

Quote from: MuzzyDev on May 02, 2014, 10:02:25 AM
Quote from: Anguille on May 02, 2014, 06:23:01 AM

Indeed....the most complete 4x imho.
I was a tester at Atari when MOO3 was released.  It was universally hated by the QA team.  I've heard it eventually evolved into a good game, but I remember it as being truly awful.

Crap... we meant MOO2!

MOO3 was a buggy damn mess and they never fixed it.  I can understand why it was loathed.  There were some mods later made to fix many things, but by that time it was pretty much dead.  Plus it's fixed low screen resolution didn't entice many extra people to try it with mods years later, either.

Ian C

Quote from: MuzzyDev on May 02, 2014, 10:02:25 AM

That's surprising Chris, because with the fan-made unofficial patch which fixes all of the bug AFAIK, (vanilla mod 1.5), I think this is the best 4x game I've played yet. I'm going to get MOO2 on GOG and try that though, since if what everyone says is true, I'm going to enjoy that one even more.

Ian C

I still say a modded and patched MOO3 is king.

You mean MOO2 - what mods in particular would you suggest?

Barthheart

Nope, JH is talking about MOO3.

Here's a thread from way back that talks about the mods and how much fun he's been having with it.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2476.0

Ian C

Quote from: Barthheart on May 02, 2014, 10:24:12 AM

Here's a thread from way back that talks about the mods and how much fun he's been having with it.

Dammit I just purchased Moo2.

Anguille

Quote from: Ian C on May 02, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on May 02, 2014, 10:24:12 AM

Dammit I just purchased Moo2.

Still a very good purchase!

Martok

Well everyone here knows I'm a fanboy of both Armada 2526 Supernova and Distant Worlds.  I'm not sure what more I can say about those two games that I haven't already said. 

On a planetary scale, Pandora: First Contact is also a very solid 4x title.  I don't think you can go wrong with that one. 

For future releases of 4x games, Predestination is probably the one I'm most looking forward to.  StarDrive 2 is second on my list, as it interests me with its combination of turn-based empire management and real-time battles.  Lords of the Black Sun appears as if it'll be fairly solid, if a bit bland. 

M.O.R.E. is the big wild-card for me.  It appears to offers the most promise, but I worry the devs have aimed too high and/or have bitten off more than they can chew.  It's either going to be a surprise success, or a spectacular failure. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ian C on May 02, 2014, 10:16:47 AM

Yes. I'm talking about MOO THREE (3).  Not 2. Refer to Barth's link. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 11:10:57 AM

I purchased MOO3 based on Jarhead's recommendation and haven't regretted it. I did have problems getting it modded up and running as well as figuring out how to actually play! But it was solid and there was always a lot to do. I never played MOO 1 or 2 so maybe that's why I likes 3.

Same as x rebirth. If you had never played in x game before, you would like it. Expectations
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2014, 11:10:57 AM

I know. That's what I originally thought then I saw this and it got all confused:

Quote from: Nefaro on May 02, 2014, 10:09:42 AM

Crap... we meant MOO2!

I hope this ain't gonna be one of those days...

BTW Jarhead, thanks for the links to Tropical here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=2476.0

Just got it installed. That's my weekend gaming fixed up. :D