Tomshardware Review of ESO, Ouch!

Started by SgtRock, May 06, 2014, 08:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SgtRock

Wow, haven't see a review like this, sense Tom Chicks Review of CM Shock Force! ;D

It's not pretty but, I think he tells it, like it is!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-online-review,3815-7.html

On top of this, the game is full of farming Bots, exploits, player bans and bugs!

Cut and paste Dungeons, the first 10 are all the same, look, same layout, etc and 71% of the dungeons are same through out the game!

Nefaro

I just watched AngryJoe's review on ESO last night.  Fun and damning as appropriate:

Tpek

Quote from: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 08:44:08 AM
On top of this, the game is full of farming Bots, exploits...

Full? that's an understatement here unfortunately.
I've found more botters/cheaters in this game than actual players.

And this is a purchase once and then pay subscription game. :P

Yskonyn

Jump on the bandwagon of negativity guys!

All Aboard!!!

*sigh*
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SgtRock

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM

All Aboard!!!

*sigh*

You have something good you say about it, then say it.

Tpek

The game has a lot of potential.
And even the hardware review stated a few good things about it.

But the overabundance of botters really detracts from the gameplay.

Yskonyn

Quote from: SgtRock on May 06, 2014, 11:33:22 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM

All Aboard!!!

*sigh*

You have something good you say about it, then say it.

If you had taken a little more time to look around you would have found this thread on here already in which I have done more than say something.

But hey, why go to the trouble. Let's just make a new thread so we can all start off in a negative mood and indulge.
Instead you could have added your views to the former thread and actually made a decent discussion.

These videos you have linked are no more than stand-up comedy and with the greater internet as it is, just cause a shitstorm from whichever direction.
Especially MMO's suffer from endless streams of vitriol and uninformed whinefests. Often going on info that has clearly been addressed or was something that has been a problem. (FFXIV ARR is often mentioned still as the failed relaunch... which couldn't be further from the truth).
We all still have the misconception that a niche game is a bad thing. MMO's need to be a WoW killer or else they have tried and failed.

It's been more than once that I was really asking myself wether I was just fooling myself for liking a game? Clearly if there is so much negativity posted on the net, I must be missing something? Yet I like the given game... *confused*.

Still, I suspect people post earlier and more often if they have complaints over those that are happy with a game. And a much larger part of any given playerbase doesn't even frequent forums at all.

So I have stopped putting any value in videos and reviews like those you linked. If I like a game, I continue to play it, if I do not, then I quit.

What pisses me off here, though, is that there already is a long ESO thread open to negativity, discussion and praise.
This thread is just a primer for crash and burn and flamewars.

P.S> For the record: the bots are annoying and are an issue.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mirth

I haven't paid much attention to the other ESO thread, but seeing Tom's Hardware mentioned in the title of this thread drew my attention. I consider TH to be a reliable source of info, so seeing reading the review is meaningful to me. 

AngryJoe's reviews are always funny and worth watching for that reason alone.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SgtRock

There was nothing post release or any game details in the other thread and Tom's Hardware isn't your normal game review site, in fact when he reviews something it's more from a design view. I think his review points out the poor design and sloppy/lazy implementation of ESO VS. the half baked rants of Youtube video reviews.

Yskonyn

Well the Tom's article is no different from most other articles I have seen.
It has the title 'review' but instead of keeping the focus on technical bits the author goes into the Realm of subjectivity when he addresses voice acting and questslines.

Then there are the power terms like 'ruined the economy '.. What ruin? There is none.

Its just as exaggerated as many other pieces.

SgtRock

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2014, 03:27:12 PM
It has the title 'review' but instead of keeping the focus on technical bits the author goes into the Realm of subjectivity when he addresses voice acting and questslines.

Then there are the power terms like 'ruined the economy '.. What ruin? There is none.

Its just as exaggerated as many other pieces.

Bro, are you in denial? ;D Exploits and Botting don't damage the economy, based on what, Obamanomics?

Gold Exploit
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/23cc8j/elder_scrolls_online_dupe_bug_found_billions_of/

Botting
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/22j9od/botting_is_already_a_huge_problem/

Nefaro

I've not played it.  But I've gathered from past MMO guildmates who've played it that it's not all that good and has some serious problems.  To be expected, considering it's this company's first MMO.  More than one confirmed that most of the AngryJoe review was right on, including that the combat mechanics and PvP were the bright spots but the rest wasn't good.  Those of you who have played it for awhile now.. is this true? 

Of course, the rampant Bots and waiting lines for quests/bosses is enough to mark it off my list but perhaps there may be hope at some point in the future if they fix lotsa stuff and put more emphasis on it's strengths (pvp)?

Yskonyn

Since when is Reddit a reliable source for anything?

The reliable source is the game. And I take it you dont even play it. I do.
The key word here is 'ruin'.
Of course botters have an effect on its economy, but it certainly isn't ruined.
Not having a general Auction House actually helps here too. Players trade face to face and in guilds. As long as you dont join a botter guild you're perfectly fine.
The game's economy might even be strong because of these mini economies.

And my point is again clearly illustrated;
Instead of playing the game you guys rather take various sources for granted which use power terms and exaggeration.
The game does have problems. Most MMO's have on launch. But the devs show a great deal of passion and activity to fix the issues.

I like the game. If that puts me in denial in your eyes so be it, but I do actually play the game. :)

What I do find a possible issue later on, though, is that the game *can* be pretty much played entirely solo up to level 50. Much like SWTOR. Craglorn will be an end game area with lots of group stuff and that's probably a good thing. But I believe they will need to keep the pace up with bringing group content or end game will get pretty stale soon for the more hardcore players.
For now though, the game is awesome for me. I like the questing and the stories told are actually much less generic than many other MMO's feed you, contrary to your reviews above.
Many quests (after level 10) even force you to make moral choices which then have an effect later in the game on a different quest. Pretty neat stuff. (check the other thread for more info on why I find the mechanics of the game good, I am not going to copy that here)
And if I don't find end-game to be my cup of tea in the end, I will cancel my sub and still have had a tremendous amount of fun and gameplay goodness for my money.

See, I am not a fanboy by any stretch, if that's something you were wondering. But I just hate going on exaggerations all the time and possibly cloud someone else's view on a game. Any game.
It's a negative trend on the net and shown in this thread too. That I find dissapointing and unfair to a game and its community.

Nefaro

Reddit?  I don't frequent Reddit at all.  Especially not for game reviews.

Some of my old guildies, with whom I've played numerous past MMOs, expressed pretty much the same experiences with it as the AngryJoe review.  These aren't "exaggerations" from "various sources", they're like-minded individuals I've played MMOs with for years.   :)

I was just wondering if you also thought the negative points were valid, whether you enjoy it or not.  Even if I find the combat and PvP enjoyable, as seems to be the pros in it's current iteration, I'm pretty sure the cons would just make me rage.  However, I wouldn't bother asking about it further if I still didn't hold some interest in checking it out eventually.  I'm not trolling a superfan but trying to get further impressions of the good, bad, and fugly of it.  The discussion had kinda dropped off rather quickly after release until this thread popped up.

tgb

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 06, 2014, 03:27:12 PM

Wait....WHAT????? A review is one person's (hopefully qualified) opinion.  Reviews are subjective by definition.  It's not supposed to be a laundry list of specs and features.