Main Menu

St. Louis Riots

Started by LongBlade, August 15, 2014, 11:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 12, 1970, 06:31:11 PM
Where do you think it will happen first, if at all? How far will it go? How do we work the Media into the game so it can potentially benefit either side?

Check out Brian Train's Battle of Seattle as a starting point
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I see two possible scenarios forming, but I'm in no mood to red shirt this for DHS, who will only return the favor by further violating the 4 Amendment and adding me to yet another absurd list.

Sorry, Stagger. Over a beer sometime.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 15, 2014, 10:14:49 PM

Check out Brian Train's Battle of Seattle as a starting point

I'll do that. Thanks

Quote from: LongBlade on August 15, 2014, 10:31:56 PM

... Over a beer sometime.

Hopefully I'll be able to take you up on that someday.  :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

A recording has emerged of a conversation moments after the shooting.

The witness describes the victim as having run away then turned around and come back toward the officers, who had already drawn their guns.

If true then it would support justifiable use of force.

source: http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168698-eyewitness-recalls-important-detail-background-video-mins-ferguson-shooting/

Steelgrave

Quote from: LongBlade on August 17, 2014, 11:11:31 AM
A recording has emerged of a conversation moments after the shooting.

The witness describes the victim as having run away then turned around and come back toward the officers, who had already drawn their guns.

If true then it would support justifiable use of force.

source: http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168698-eyewitness-recalls-important-detail-background-video-mins-ferguson-shooting/

Like the video of Brown stealing from that C-Store and pushing/intimidating a much smaller, older clerk....this is clearly more character assassination designed to denigrate an innocent kid who would never hurt someone. Besides, now that the "Justice" department is involved ( with 40 FBI agents assigned, no less ) this case will be the next big Trayvon Martin media circus just in time for the November elections  :P

GDS_Starfury

its also a great domestic vehicle thats taken most attention away from problems overseas.

nothing beats Jew/Arab news better then Cop/Black news.  and after those two who gives a shit about some bride farmers in the ass end of Europe.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

OJsDad

One thing that surprises be about this whole, is that in a age when someone cannot take a piss behind a tree without it being caught on tape, no one seems to have recorded this whole.  Daytime, middle of the road.

Looking at the one drawing that showed where Brown was hit by bullets, it almost seems funny that a) there were no hits to his chest and abdomen.   b) that if the first rounds hit the arm and proceeded up, then it would almost say that the police officer started to fire while raising his gun.

One final thought.  No one has given a single reason why this cop would have just shot this guy in the middle of the street in broad daylight.  A cop that doesn't seem to have any complaints against him.  No one has come out and tied him to any kind of hate group.  If this was some dark alley in the middle of the night or it was found that he was a nazi, then I think it would be a pretty open and shut case.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

If the kid really did hit that store just before the confrontation he might have figured he was busted when he ran into the cop and had little to lose by jumping him. The irony of course being the cop didn't know about the robbery.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

If I remember correctly, the cop was on his way to another call when he encountered these two.  If I had to guess, I'm guessing the cop told them to get out of the middle of the street and was ready to move on, but one or both of these two started to run their mouths. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

LongBlade

Patience and shuffle the cards.

- Cervantes

Swatter

St. Louis resident here. Man, I don't know where to start.

First, the riots are taking place in North St. Louis County. There are many, many municipalities in the St. Louis area; Furgeson is just one of them. The looting and burning is not confined to Furgeson. As a matter of fact, a place I worked at years ago was one of the ones burned to the ground.

Second, large swathes are North County are gang war zones. The murder rate in the St. Louis area in almost the highest in the country, most of the murders are young blacks killing each other and innocent bystanders. In fact, a week before Mike Brown was killed, a grandmother walking her three grandchildren down the street was murdered in the crossfire of two rival gangs. A little girl died in crossfire not long ago also.

There is absolutely no context given in the media about the area and the crime ridden nature of the thugs that roam the streets at night. Gangs of thugs roaming the streets at night is not a new thing. Every local media source is walking on egg shells and the local politicians are scared to death. Not one single politician, even the idiot Governor, will tell people the truth. The truth is the cop is probably not going to be charged with murder. When that fact finally comes out- there will be mass chaos and the real violence will start. They will regret the day they attempted to appease and reason with a mob.

Mike Brown was a thug, plain and simple. They are legion in the area where the shooting took place. He robbed a store moments before the officer stopped him for walking in the middle of a major street. During the initial contact, the officer figured out that they were the thugs that robbed the market (which has subsequently been looted and burned). Apparently a scuffle took place and there was a struggle for the officers weapon. The officer was struck (fist to face) and the thugs attempted to flee and the officer gave chase. According to the other thug that was with Brown, Brown raised his hands in surrender and was shot several times. According to the officer, Brown began to charge (at which point he fired).

Needless to say, unless there is good eyewitness testimony from a credible witness, a charge of murder has no chance of surviving at trial.

So, as it stands, nobody outside of St. Louis really understands what is going on because the media is either lazy or deathly afraid to provide context to the situation. Now, let me say, there are real racial problems in St. Louis. There is a history of racism and segregation that continues to this day. If the protests were about that, I wouldn't mind them so much. Unfortunately, the protests are about the assumed guilt of a racist cop and a demand that he be charged with murder immediately. Not a single motherfucker in the media will point out the irony of the protesters demands. They are doing the exact thing they accuse the officer who shot Brown of doing- coming to hasty conclusion based on race and vague generalizations about people they don't understand. It's a type of racism they are practicing, but a politically acceptable form of racism.

Anyway, I am giving everyone a heads up here, this will not end well. The cop will not be charged with murder. Officials are probably hoping they can run out the clock and the protestors lose interest and the riots stop. I hope that is the case, but I don't have faith. If the rioting thugs start trying to burn down neighborhoods other than their own, there will be violence.

The saddest part of the episode is going to be that these people are destroying their own neighborhoods and driving away their own businesses. They businesses will not come back. In the end, they will be poorer and more isolated than ever.

LongBlade

Thanks, Swatter.

A damn shame. Let's hope wiser heads prevail.

BanzaiCat

Wiser heads won't prevail. They never do in these cases. The wiser heads tend to congregate on wargaming message boards to share their thoughts. :) Hotheads tend to congregate where the race pimps camp out, and the race pimps camp out where the cameras are, and the media continues to drink the kool-aid and ignore the obvious 1000-pound elephant/gorilla hybrid shitting in the corner of the room.

The thing that continues to annoy the hell out of me is nobody is asking "gee, had this punk NOT been robbing a store in the first place..."

Steelgrave

I agree that the police officer involved is unlikely to be charged....locally.  I do however fully expect the "Justice" Dept. to find something to make a show trial over similar to what happened in the Martin case when the local D.A. didn't try Zimmerman for murder.

LongBlade

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 19, 2014, 06:49:57 AM
Wiser heads won't prevail. They never do in these cases. The wiser heads tend to congregate on wargaming message boards to share their thoughts. :) Hotheads tend to congregate where the race pimps camp out, and the race pimps camp out where the cameras are, and the media continues to drink the kool-aid and ignore the obvious 1000-pound elephant/gorilla hybrid shitting in the corner of the room.

Good thing the NSA is spying on everyone so that stuff like this can't happen. By focusing on wargamers the odds of social unrest decreased exponentially!  ::)