Fantastic 4 redux

Started by Centurion40, January 28, 2015, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Not sure how I feel about this:

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Does this mean the guy who played the original Human Torch and now plays Capt. America can play Torch again? Or both? Or neither? I'd like to see a new Torch vs old Torch/ Capt. scene.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

^^ No, completely new cast.

I'm cautiously hopeful about it. I've heard rumors that the story strays so far from classic FF that one wonders why they're bothering at all other than to keep the rights (and to distinguish the film from the mediocre-to-terrible previous two which, for all their many faults, did stay pretty close to the property).

This looks decent if overly grimNolanish. The FF are at heart a family of explorers (FOR SCIENCE!), who get into super-weird and sometimes tragic situations. The footage and narration plays that up.

It doesn't play up their positive joy at doing what they do, which tends to counterbalance the typical Marvel angst, and this combined with the studio's use-it-or-lose-it attitude toward having rented out the rights, meant that toward the end of the trailer my snarky critical voice was chiming along with the narrator to the trailer for Bill Murray's Scrooge (in-film): "YOUR LIFE MIGHT JUST DEPEND ON IT!" "I want that running every hour, on the hour!"  :knuppel2:

Still, yokay, sure. Modern version of the team is younger and get their powers while exploring the Negative Zone, like in the Ultimate FF. That can work. Or fail: most fans regard Ultimate FF as vanishing up its own ass in a spectacularly bad series of creative decisions meant to make the Ultimate line distinct by playing hard with the extended What If? concept.

But up to now Marvel films have chosen to go with decent ideas from the Ultimate line (though this isn't from Marvel Studios, and when Sony borrowed Ultimate Electro they fumbled the ball badly.) It could still work.

More hopeful than I was before the trailer finally dropped!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

There's nothing in that trailer that remotely makes me want to see the new movie. I was more drawn in by the Ant Man trailer :P

The first FF film was decent B-movie fun. It had a good cast and was far more enjoyable than I expected it to be.

Rise of the Silver Surfer was a totally unnecessary movie and  completely sub-par. Still not even close to the worst superhero movie of the last decade.

I never was an FF fan in the comics, but I would like to see the franchise moved to the MCU where I think it would flourish.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MetalDog

As with most of what Hollywood does to my favorite characters, they screwed up the Silver Surfer in Rise... 

This new iteration, I am not interested in at all.  I was never a FF fan to begin with and now the forces of, "Let's reboot and mix sh*t up just cuz we can," have done it again.  A new film for no reason with little redeeming value.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

The old FF Saturday morning cartoons are what attracted me to comic books; much more than the old Spidey cartoons.  I've always been a sucker for sci-fi, and the FF gave that to me.

Any time is a good time for pie.

Tpek

I can't believe they screwed up casting yet again.
With the exact same problem only reversed.

Now Susan "Invisible Woman/Girl" Storm is back into being Caucasian, but they turned Johnny "Human Torch" Storm into an Afro-American  :idiot2:

It's like they realized the mistake they made with the casting of the previous 2 movies, and then delegated fixing it to 2 completely different people who
were not in contact with one another.
So one decided to Human Torch black, while another decided to turn the Invisible Woman white again.

Either that, or the casting agent misunderstood Johnny being described as a "Brother".

So yet again, characters that are supposed to be siblings look absolutely different.

Staggerwing

While Jessica Alba (who played Sue Storm in the first two movies) is half Mexican-american I wouldn't exactly refer to her as 'non-white'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

She was totally hot.

However I can deal with Kate Mara in the role. That is the best casting I've seen so far in the reboot.

Sir Slash

I saw the Fantastic Four last night. I had 2 waitresses at Hooters.  :2funny: Damn those are good wings!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 29, 2015, 08:08:51 PM
While Jessica Alba (who played Sue Storm in the first two movies) is half Mexican-american I wouldn't exactly refer to her as 'non-white'.

She's kinda half-of-everything.

Also, her role in the 2nd film was absolutely terrible.
She spent the entire movie doing nothing but whining incessantly.
The whole world is going to die but she bitches about a zit that she can actually magically remove.

ADDENDUM: And looking at IMDB.
WTF is going with Marvel. I see dozens of entries for new movies/shows about characters in the Marvel Universe.
Now I saw an entry for The Defenders, and also for another character from the same show, Jessica Jones (why does she get her own show but Luke Cage doesn't???)

2nd Addendum:
It seems I overlooked. Luke Cage will be getting his own show as well.  :buck2:

GDS_Starfury

if I was Mr. Fantastic I would be very naughty with Mrs. Fantastic.   ^-^
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 30, 2015, 03:56:40 AM
if I was Mr. Fantastic I would be very naughty with Mrs. Fantastic.   ^-^

'Invisible Sex'!

... wait, wasn't that a band back in the early 80's?

Ah, yes:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth