Fantastic 4 redux

Started by Centurion40, January 28, 2015, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think I've more than had my fill of movies based on comic books for the next decade or so.

mirth

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 14, 2015, 01:39:20 PM
I think I've more than had my fill of movies based on comic books for the next decade or so.

I'm beginning to feel the same way.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

There's definitely an "ALRIGHT ENOUGH ALREADY" vibe. But you know these assclowns will keep churning it out if they keep making hundreds of millions of dollars.

As for this, complete and utter meh.

The whole Human Torch as a black guy thing...it's hard to describe how that puts me off without sounding like a total racist. I'm not, and what really bugs me more about this is that it IS kind of technically racist that some Hollywood circle jerk of a production meeting decided that they needed to ham fist a black character into this movie...if that makes any sense at all. I grew up with Johnny and Sue being brother and sister, not adopted. Surely that's not what Hollywood was going to do...right?

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/26/the-new-susan-storm-won-t-be-related-to-human-torch-technically-2299645?lt_source=external,manual

Oh, she's adopted. Whatever, Hollywood. Carry on.

I guess if you have to ask, "why does he have to be black," the answer is, "why does he NOT have to be black?" Wellllll...50+ years of comic history? I'm not saying Black Panther has to be Chinese, or Sunspot needs to be Norwegian. It shouldn't matter, that's my point. Why Hollywood decided they needed to make this a point is troubling.

mirth

QuoteMara said that she was supposed to read the Fantastic Four comic books for preparation. However, director Josh Trank suggested to her that it was unnecessary, with writer Simon Kinberg adding that the film is not based on a single issue of the Fantastic Four comic books

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four_%282015_film%29

Why would you want to reference the comic books of one of Marvel's premiere franchises? That would be silly.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

Marvel Studio Marvel films: the cast and crew either start as fans or are encouraged to study up and become fans.

20th C Fox: yeah, never mind, loving the original material isn't important -- that's sooooo, um, last century.

Having said that, I'm still moderately hopeful on this one.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

As for any of the cast being black, orange, or other non-white: don't care, never did care, it isn't a story issue (like a Chinese Black Panther would be. Or a black viking god, awesome though he was. All they had to do was include a picture of Black Heimdall in the storybook showing the Bifrost Bridge, boom narrative problem solved. Couldn't be assed to do so.)

What I do care about, is the producers or whoever thinking they're being inclusive or topical or something by only giving us a black guy -- and it's clear that's all they're doing because otherwise they'd have both brother and sister being black. That's sheer tokenism, and shows a fundamental disrespect for the property.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Sue Storm should be a lesbian Asian.  A hot lesbian Asian.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 15, 2015, 08:50:47 AM
Sue Storm should be a lesbian Asian.  A hot lesbian Asian.

+ 1000000!

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on July 14, 2015, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 14, 2015, 01:39:20 PM

I'm beginning to feel the same way.

There are only a very few new upcoming ones that interest me.  Much of it seems like random filler noise.   

I'm curious as to how Doctor Strange will turn out.  Other than that .. *shrug*

BanzaiCat

I'm on board for Doctor Strange as well, and for Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Perhaps also Captain America: Civil War. I'm going to hold at that point and see what the latest crop does to bring up Infinity Wars before I dive into it.

God help me I want to see Ant-Man tomorrow. I started decidedly "MEH" on this one, but then saw who the villain was and thought he was brilliant in House of Cards. I'm admittedly somewhat curious to see how Paul "Role Models" Rudd does as a superhero, too.

mirth

I'm going to take the kids to Ant-Man on Saturday.

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on July 15, 2015, 09:14:44 PM
I'm going to take the kids to Ant-Man on Saturday.

Be sure and put on a shirt.

MetalDog

Seriously considering going this weekend, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

I'm so far behind on the summer movies, it's gonna be Amazon catch up time once I get settled.

And if anything...and I mean anything....can kill the superhero movie craze....it's yet another attempt at putting the FF onscreen.