RIP Omar Sharif

Started by mirth, July 10, 2015, 09:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought he had died years ago.

Ever since I saw that he'd attached his name to a line of smokes in Korea, I automatically associate his name with the ciggies and the cheeseball quote on the pack.  It just all seems so 1960s.  I bet he had a sweet love den!

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TacticalWargames

A true classic.

RIP

Quote from: Gusington on July 10, 2015, 10:24:19 AM
Dr. Zhivago is one of my favorites of all time :/

RIP

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

undercovergeek

I'm stuck, I don't know whether it's my perception alone or anyone else's - apparently on Lawrence of Arabia the first day he met Peter otoole they went out and got smashed to bits which I think is awesome, and I think all the tales of the old time stars getting battered and turning up to film the next morning is great - but when today's stars do it I roll my eyes and think 'entitled assholes' - am I getting old, is it me or is it because these guys were legends and the current crop really are overpaid entitled wankers

Dear lord i think I've turned into my dad

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

I think there's a sort of perception that back in the day, those guys took their job seriously working in film, and didn't do films in order to go out and party; consequently it's okay if they partied because they worked hard at their job (e.g. they didn't call in sick the next day for a hangover, but came to work and got the job done). Whereas the perception today is that a lot of actors think of filming as a way to afford going out to party -- it isn't their job.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

I always loved Cheers for the characters.  And he played a really good one.  RIP, Mr. Rees.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

RIP, Mr. Sharif.  Yet another great has passed.  :( 

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 11, 2015, 03:01:45 AM
I'm stuck, I don't know whether it's my perception alone or anyone else's - apparently on Lawrence of Arabia the first day he met Peter otoole they went out and got smashed to bits which I think is awesome, and I think all the tales of the old time stars getting battered and turning up to film the next morning is great - but when today's stars do it I roll my eyes and think 'entitled assholes' - am I getting old, is it me or is it because these guys were legends and the current crop really are overpaid entitled wankers

Dear lord i think I've turned into my dad
You and me both, pal.  I had the same thought just a few days ago. 

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 11, 2015, 09:04:18 AM
I think there's a sort of perception that back in the day, those guys took their job seriously working in film, and didn't do films in order to go out and party; consequently it's okay if they partied because they worked hard at their job (e.g. they didn't call in sick the next day for a hangover, but came to work and got the job done). Whereas the perception today is that a lot of actors think of filming as a way to afford going out to party -- it isn't their job.
I suspect you've put your thumb on it, Jason.  Well said. 

Quote from: mirth on July 11, 2015, 01:12:50 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 11, 2015, 04:13:30 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2015, 01:55:32 PM
Stabler - Sharif - who's going to be #3 ?

roger rees  :(

Sadly - http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/07/11/roger-rees-tony-winner-robin-colcord-cheers-dies/30006431/
Well shit.  :( 

RIP Mr. Reese.  In addition to Cheers and Men In Tights, I loved him in in the recurring role of Lord Jon Marbury in The West Wing

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces