Mr. Plinkett reviews Star Trek.

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 08, 2015, 05:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I enjoy the hell out of both the Trek reboot films -- but I recognize the various strong weaknesses, too. I might even argue the first film was overall weaker in its plot design and characterization, though to be fair it has the handicap of being a time-travel story.

'Plinkett' has a whole series doing the Next Gen Trek movies. I agree, I'd like to see the team do Prometheus.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 10, 2015, 07:45:04 PM
You can all kiss my hairy arse!  As a Trekkie from the TOS days I think the rebooted films are brilliant.  And it hasn't escaped my notice in other threads that a lot of you seem to want a "Star Trek war film".  Pfft.  Now that would be pissing on the franchise. :P

Well, it wouldn't be (because Roddenberry did that, too), but only doing a war story would be pissing on the franchise. And we've had Star Trek war movies pretty steadily now for a while. It's time to do some actual exploring and adventuring.

Not that I'm not excited for Anaxis or any other (good) Trek War story. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus