The Happening

Started by mirth, September 08, 2015, 10:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Just another weight pulling M Night's suckage down into deeper depths of suck.

Nefaro

LOL

Hasn't Shamaylan's movies been let downs for quite awhile now?   Who keeps letting him make these in the hopes they'll get better?

Staggerwing

I liked some of the first few that he did quite a bit: Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, & Signs. I never saw the Village but Lady in the Water was good, if weirdly claustrophobic. I don't think I've seen anything of his since then. How is Wayward Pines so far?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 09, 2015, 05:56:26 PM
How is Wayward Pines so far?

I haven't seen it, but the reviews have generally been good.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Arctic Blast

I hold out hope that The Visit will be as funny as it looks from the promos...

Sadly, he's probably incapable of even pulling off 'hilariously bad' at this point.

BanzaiCat

Yep...been burned by too many of his progressively worse movies to ever feel like watching a new one.

JasonPratt

I wisely gave up Shama movies after The Village, and have never regretted that choice.

And I actually liked that movie.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

The Village was good until the reveal which was just idiotic IMHO. Anyone see Devil?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on September 10, 2015, 07:05:59 PM
The Village was good until the reveal which was just idiotic IMHO.

Yes (and insulting to people like me in various ways), but even then I kind of admired the audacity.

Which I won't spoil for people who don't know about it yet. I can tell what kind of Twilight Zoney / Alfred Hitchcockeyed plot he was aiming for, and I'm willing to appreciate that.  :))
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 11, 2015, 05:51:08 PM
OK - so here's a decent theory about Signs

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/ubaqq/what_fan_theories_have_blown_your_mind_with_their/c4ubvmy

My favorite so far:

QuoteOh come on. So your theory here is that he's a great actor that is playing the role of a mediocre director, like some sort of meta opera? That would require that all of his movies share some commonality, like they would all cast the same shitty actor. And for completeness, that shitty actor would... oh god... of course... it would have to be him. glass shatters.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys