Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Bellingcat has done a pretty good job over the years of using the youtube footage of attacks in Syria to geo-locate the action and a combination of news reports and satellite imagery to establish dates/times of what's happened.  There's been at least a half-dozen times they've caught both the Russians and the Syrian gov't of outright lying about not hitting hospitals or other civilian targets. 

They're also pretty good about giving you the limits of what they can determine based on the footage/imagery.  They've noted that the symptoms are consistent with sarin, but that there's no way to determine for sure from the footage available, or from the photos of the impact craters/BDA after the fact.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I don't know if this is a good thing or not.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 06, 2017, 08:40:19 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-launches-missiles-syrian-base-after-chemical-weapons-attack-n743636

just make sure you don't hit the Russians.
Don't think the tomahawks can distinguish between Russian Military and Syrian military all using the same equipment and mixed together on the base. Certainly some Russians are going to get whacked so the question is how Putin is going to react. I think Trumps ability to flip flop so rapidly is going to keep,the Russians off guard but will this be the start of a slippery slope to a shooting war with Ivan.

mirth

There weren't any Russians at that airbase and we gave the Russkis a heads up before the strike.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Good thing we had those Russian back channels set up so early.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Con

Quote from: mirth on April 06, 2017, 09:11:59 PM
There weren't any Russians at that airbase and we gave the Russkis a heads up before the strike.
Lets hope you are right.  What I was reading earlier was that the Russians were pretty deeply embedded with Syrian forces

Gusington

The Russians earlier today publicly said to Trump directly, not in so many words: "So what are you going to do about it?"

Now we and the Russians have the answer.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Tomorrow, and probably the day after, will provide the answer.

Con

If I was on those US Navy ships my sphincter would be puckered pretty tight right now since they are the juiciest target if the Russians decide to retaliate

Con

bayonetbrant