Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Started by mirth, January 31, 2016, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

To be fair to Donner, he had to have shot Hackman's line, since Gene flatly refused to return for Lester's reshoots of that office material.

To continue being fair to Donner, as much as I don't like reducing Luthor to whatever-he-is in the movies, Hackman is pure gold pretty much whenever he's on the screen doing or saying anything. He even achieves the miracle of making this Luthor genuinely frightening (on occasion. Though mainly in the first movie.) His Luthor is the only part of Super4 I could stomach (and, I suppose, brief sparks of Reeve's genius at playing Superman playing Clark Kent.) And I hated most of his scenes in Super4! That's sheer talent.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

The thing I prefer about Lester's version of the Daily Planet scene is Reeve's line "General, would you care to step outside". That's not the line in the Donner cut and Lester's version is better imo - funnier, more clever.

You are correct, everything with Hackman was shot by Donner. Hackman was not pleased by how Donner was treated and he flat out refused to do any reshooting (I think he vowed to never do another Superman film, but they must have thrown enough money at him for Supe IV).  However, since about 80% of the film had been shoot when Lester was brought in, it was fairly easy to work around.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

True; I just wanted to give Donner credit on something related to that little exchange, since I'd been badmouthing The Donner Cut a lot.  O0

Regardless of what I think of the portions of Donner's film that were changed for theatrical!Super2 (i.e. the changes are almost all for the better), he deserves massive credit for shepherding so much of the first two films that work.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth