Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

Lost behemoth last night and felt sad... lost all my original mech warriors now... got mashed by 4 heavy tanks when my hits were either missing or not doing much and then their reinforcement mechs pummelled my damaged team.

Was left with one Shadowhawk with one arm and leg......but won the mission. felt like a loss. Repairs and injuries gonna take ages....

DennisS

Quote from: FlickJax on May 16, 2018, 03:58:29 AM
Lost behemoth last night and felt sad... lost all my original mech warriors now... got mashed by 4 heavy tanks when my hits were either missing or not doing much and then their reinforcement mechs pummelled my damaged team.

Was left with one Shadowhawk with one arm and leg......but won the mission. felt like a loss. Repairs and injuries gonna take ages....

I just spent a f*ckton of money for a PPC++. The very first shot I took with it, at range, with precision strike, missed. Missed so badly that I got an achievement for it.  O0   ... I love this game!

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on May 16, 2018, 07:13:10 AM

I just spent a f*ckton of money for a PPC++. The very first shot I took with it, at range, with precision strike, missed. Missed so badly that I got an achievement for it.  O0   ... I love this game!

If they give you awards for bad dice rolls, I'll be having lotsa fruit salad.

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on May 16, 2018, 08:08:44 PM
Quote from: DennisS on May 16, 2018, 07:13:10 AM

If they give you awards for bad dice rolls, I'll be having lotsa fruit salad.

I looked it up. Awarded the first time a called shot misses. Just happened to be the PPC++.

Cyrano

I'll say it again, this one distills a generation of gaming and, for want of a more profound phrase, gaming wisdom into decisions like that.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mikeck

Ok...been playing for a little while  now (just did my first mission post-Argo). I'm trying to figure out how best to set my mechs and lance. Like how I want to distinguish them: this one is an armored brawler, this one is a sniper, etc along with how to outfit them.

I can't seem to figure out how jump jets work. I mean, I know how to use them to jump, but does it matter where on the mech I put them? Or why would I want more than one? If I have multiple jets does that mean I can jump further or more often?

Also, once you get a small stable of medium mechs (and a heavy Jager), is there any point to using light mechs? Doesn't seem like a way to avoid detection so as soon as my spider or locust is spotted, I end up spending more energy keeping the mech from dying than doing anything constructive.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on May 16, 2018, 09:49:11 PM
Ok...been playing for a little while  now (just did my first mission post-Argo). I'm trying to figure out how best to set my mechs and lance. Like how I want to distinguish them: this one is an armored brawler, this one is a sniper, etc along with how to outfit them.

I can't seem to figure out how jump jets work. I mean, I know how to use them to jump, but does it matter where on the mech I put them? Or why would I want more than one? If I have multiple jets does that mean I can jump further or more often?

Also, once you get a small stable of medium mechs (and a heavy Jager), is there any point to using light mechs? Doesn't seem like a way to avoid detection so as soon as my spider or locust is spotted, I end up spending more energy keeping the mech from dying than doing anything constructive.

I saw COHH mismanage the hell out of his lance by over-using his jump jets, in an environment where heat is dissipated poorly. He just didn't have the energy available to shoot all his weapons.

mikeck

But why do I want more than one jump jet? What's the advantage of more? Distance?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on May 17, 2018, 06:04:36 PM
But why do I want more than one jump jet? What's the advantage of more? Distance?

Yes. More distance, and don't quote me, there may be other bonuses as well.

I am thinking, increasingly, that my sniper mech needs to have jump jets, to jump UP onto a better firing perch. You get bonuses to hit when you are higher.

Pilot bonuses of guardian and gunnery would seem to work well together.

mikeck

I had my first pasting on a storyline mission. Enemy SRM carriers.
Apparently these tiny trucks can carry 4 times the missiles my mechs can. Oh yeah, and the SHORT range missiles they use seem awfully long ranged and accurate

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on May 17, 2018, 09:11:32 PM
Apparently these tiny trucks can carry 4 times the missiles my mechs can. Oh yeah, and the SHORT range missiles they use seem awfully long ranged and accurate

LRM carriers, and vehicles in general are a pain in the ass. I try to close the range as fast as I can. A quick stomp, and they're dead.

jomni

Quote from: DennisS on May 17, 2018, 09:33:13 PM
Quote from: mikeck on May 17, 2018, 09:11:32 PM

LRM carriers, and vehicles in general are a pain in the ass. I try to close the range as fast as I can. A quick stomp, and they're dead.

Why then did they invent mechs when vehicles can get the job done?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

If you hate tracked vehicles now, Wait until you come across an 80 ton nightmare with three PPCs or two AC20s. Devastating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 18, 2018, 06:55:50 AM
If you hate tracked vehicles now, Wait until you come across an 80 ton nightmare with three PPCs or two AC20s. Devastating.

Silliness.
Why the hell would I spend the time, money and effort building and maintaining a mech when I can carry more firepower in a vehicle. Seems like a cheap way to make a scenario harder or an unimaginative way of making vehicles relevant late game.