Plane Mechanic Simulator fixes the main problem with Tank MecSim...

Started by JasonPratt, May 25, 2019, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

....specifically, it takes place during World War 2 in battle conditions. Instead of years afterward for a museum.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/803980/Plane_Mechanic_Simulator/

Still in Early Access (possibly still alpha), also on sale for a little less at GoG right now ($9.60 instead of $12).

I don't know what else this developer has done (nothing else on Steam per se), but one of the (two?) publishers has done a lot of hit and miss content including 303 Squadron Battle of Britain (which I wonder might be integrated to this someday), the new Uboat game (which I love but still in EA), the apparently quite well received Car Mechanic Simulator series (recently releasing a new version last year), and....... um... Lust for Darkness?

:o

...they have an eclectic mix.  ::)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/825570/Apocalypse_Flipper_DLC/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1

Apparently House Flipper is not as cheap and dippy as it sounds on paper??

Anyway. I'm definitely getting this, despite its EA status, which I largely avoid now.

Update: one of the publishers also does the Tank Mechanic Simulator (which hasn't been publicly released yet).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

1st impressions.... No obvious bugs yet. Controls take some learning -- might be more familiar for players of similar games by same publisher? (But note, dev is not same as similar games from publisher. Apparently.)

As one reviewer (on GoG iirc) puts it, this is a very chill game (so far). Some missions will be timed, but timer is optional when setting up a new game.

Game starts in 1940 as the Battle of Britain is kicking off. Career mode features tutorial missions training you in the interface and on the mechanics of the (currently three) aircraft. Once you finish those, I understand that you'll be assigned to a pilot to deal with his randomized problems throughout the BoB. Hint system, at least in the tutorial, is decently detailed.

Atmosphere is very good. Uses Unity engine. Many things are animated upon activation.

I'll probably produce a video AAR. So far, I like the game a lot!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

The_Admiral

The game is great. The Flare Path had a good look at it a few months ago.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/08/the-flare-path-plane-mechanic-simulator-review/

The publisher is specialized in providing support to Polish Indie teams - they are also the ones taking care of the Radio Commander team. They seem to be willing to pick interesting concepts and not ask too much in return - more than their eclecticism, I think it shows the unbelievably creativeness of the Polish scene lately. I wish we had that sort of opportunity back in France... But anyway. Great luck to them (and from what I understand this one was its own sleeper hit!).

Btw, the list of projects they did put online on kickstarter is worth some attention too.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playway/the-way?lang=fr

JasonPratt

I was uploading my take on the first tutorial mission tonight when I realized it was Saturday and thus time for Saturday Night Fights with Cyrano; but hopefully I can pick the upload again tomorrow morning while I'm at church.

JasonPratt

Phew, at last! Note to self -- save these things in 720p, not 1080p, for faster uploading in the future...