The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

gotcha, i stand corrected on my ghostbuster lore  :-*

JasonPratt

Disappointed by Bay4mores: Age of Extinction?

And/or like(d) the new Transformers: Prime animated series?

For the next 24ish hours, Steam is offering War for Cybertron for $5, and its kick-ass climactic 3rd half (so to speak) Fall of Cybertron for $15. Either one is considerably better than the movie tie-ins made by the same people, in my experience, and the set works as a direct prequel to the Prime series.

You want the Dinobots for real? Aside from Sludge (sadly killed off, which frankly makes sense he's only a bronto), they're all here!

You want a hilarious yet strangely effective Starscream who acts and plots (and fails, and not) like Starscream? He's here!

You want Megatron to be a serious villain, and not the final boss or a patsy who barely shows up? He's here! (Admittedly, his arm cannon is never as powerful as it should be; that's a serious problem. But still.)

You want smaller Autobots and 'Cons contributing to the story in meaningful ways? ...well, okay the movies actually provide that, sort of. But they aren't also embarassingly awful here!

You want Jazz being a badass ninja and not just a boombox quoting vocal stereotype? He's here!

You want Shockwave and Soundwave acting like real characters doing lore-appropriate things? They're here!

You want the Insecticons and the Aerialbots? They're here!

You want a final Prime (before Optimus) who makes some kind of sense in what he's doing? He's here! (Zeta Prime.)

You want OMEGA SUPREME!? He's here!

You want TRYPTICON?! Damn, he's here!

You want METROPLEX?! Holy Primus, he kicks so much ass!

You want the Combaticons and Bruticus?! YOU WILL BE PLAYING THEM!

You want more Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime? And several of the original animated voices (especially for Grimlock), plus real experienced vocal talent instead of celebrities who can't seem to project or emote properly in animation (Fred Tatasciore, Johnny Young Bosch, Steve Freaking Blum)? They're here!

You want a Bumblebee who actually talks instead of delivering 'clever' radio quips? He's here! (For the first game anyway; mute in the second game, argh.)

You want Stan Bush's "The Touch" plus a new Transformers 80s power-rock anthem from him? They're here!

The only serious downside, for me anyway, is that usually what they transform into isn't interesting or impressive -- though that makes sense in the setting, because they aren't trying to hide the alt modes are just faster and more mobile ways to move around. Obviously there are exceptions. (GRIMLOCK! BRUTICUS!)

Twenty dollars. If you have any love for the Transformers at all, you've probably got these two games already, but if (like me until last year) you just never got around to it... $20.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Wow dude. I thought I was a nerd. I've never heard of some of those Transformers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2014, 05:45:13 PM
Wow dude. I thought I was a nerd. I've never heard of some of those Transformers.

You're a nerd. Don't worry.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

And those are all Generation 1 Transformers, from the early comics and TV show.

(I barely know of any from subsequent series. I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell you all the subsequent series. By this time the show has been on air somewhere continuously as long as Doctor Who originally was.  :o )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Toonces

I saw Spintires was on sale on Steam for $17.99 (40% off).  I know there was some discussion of this game earlier.  I don't have it so that's all the commentary I can provide...   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 28, 2014, 05:23:27 PM
Disappointed by Bay4mores: Age of Extinction?

And/or like(d) the new Transformers: Prime animated series?

For the next 24ish hours, Steam is offering War for Cybertron for $5, and its kick-ass climactic 3rd half (so to speak) Fall of Cybertron for $15. Either one is considerably better than the movie tie-ins made by the same people, in my experience, and the set works as a direct prequel to the Prime series.

You want the Dinobots for real? Aside from Sludge (sadly killed off, which frankly makes sense he's only a bronto), they're all here!

You want a hilarious yet strangely effective Starscream who acts and plots (and fails, and not) like Starscream? He's here!

You want Megatron to be a serious villain, and not the final boss or a patsy who barely shows up? He's here! (Admittedly, his arm cannon is never as powerful as it should be; that's a serious problem. But still.)

You want smaller Autobots and 'Cons contributing to the story in meaningful ways? ...well, okay the movies actually provide that, sort of. But they aren't also embarassingly awful here!

You want Jazz being a badass ninja and not just a boombox quoting vocal stereotype? He's here!

You want Shockwave and Soundwave acting like real characters doing lore-appropriate things? They're here!

You want the Insecticons and the Aerialbots? They're here!

You want a final Prime (before Optimus) who makes some kind of sense in what he's doing? He's here! (Zeta Prime.)

You want OMEGA SUPREME!? He's here!

You want TRYPTICON?! Damn, he's here!

You want METROPLEX?! Holy Primus, he kicks so much ass!

You want the Combaticons and Bruticus?! YOU WILL BE PLAYING THEM!

You want more Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime? And several of the original animated voices (especially for Grimlock), plus real experienced vocal talent instead of celebrities who can't seem to project or emote properly in animation (Fred Tatasciore, Johnny Young Bosch, Steve Freaking Blum)? They're here!

You want a Bumblebee who actually talks instead of delivering 'clever' radio quips? He's here! (For the first game anyway; mute in the second game, argh.)

You want Stan Bush's "The Touch" plus a new Transformers 80s power-rock anthem from him? They're here!

The only serious downside, for me anyway, is that usually what they transform into isn't interesting or impressive -- though that makes sense in the setting, because they aren't trying to hide the alt modes are just faster and more mobile ways to move around. Obviously there are exceptions. (GRIMLOCK! BRUTICUS!)

Twenty dollars. If you have any love for the Transformers at all, you've probably got these two games already, but if (like me until last year) you just never got around to it... $20.
Wow.  I almost nerd-gasmed just reading this post.  Transformers was -- by far -- my #1 cartoon show as a kid. 

Question:  Am I gonna have to purchase a console-style controller (or see if my old one still works) to play this game?  Or does it work reasonably okay with just a mouse & keyboard? 

:o

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Martok, I played it on the PS3 so I have no idea.

It plays like a 3PS, so my guess is that a mouse and keyboard will work fine. (In this case, the fact that the vehicles don't have much personality helps instead of hampers, I would guess.)

JasonPratt

WARNING! -- MAY INDUCE TOO MUCH EPIC OVERLOAD!

This first video is built around Stan Bush's new theme for the first game, and mostly includes footage from the first game and its trailer.

This video is built around the Pucifer song which was used in the official trailer for the second game, but uses footage from both games and both main trailers. The music is frankly better; however, it doesn't show the ending of the first trailer, which is a crime against composition.  :buck2:  :tickedoff: So both videos have good reasons to watch.

mirth

Goddammit! Now I want to buy War for Cybertron.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

If you get WfC, you'll certainly have less cost sunk in (only $5 for the rest of today) if you decide the gameplay just isn't for you. FoC polishes and changes some things but the basic system remains.

That said, Parts 1 and 2 of the story are in WfC, and the climactic Part 3 is in FoC. So from that perspective it makes no sense not to get them both.

Part 1 == the war has been stalemated for a while, until Megatron recruits Starscream (yep, he's useful and yet still Starscream) to put a dangerous new technology into effect -- which requires taming and recruiting Trypticon (!) that giant tyrannosaur at the end of the first video. Omega Supreme and Zeta Prime are not happy about this, so Megatron and his allies have to defeat them along the way. (The player or players are on the 'Con team here. The first game can be played co-op, by the way.)

Part 2 == thanks to Megatron's victory in Part 1, the war has tipped solidly over into his favor, and he has become a tyrant over most of the planet; plus his new technology is tearing Cybertron apart. Optimus is summoned to become the new last Prime, and stages daring rescues to save and recruit a resistance team to undermine Megatron's efforts. Eventually this means defeating Trypticon, the source of Megatron's dark new (ancient) tech.

Part 3 == Prime's victory has resulted in neutralizing Megatron's tech advantage, but the cost was the stability of the planet's core. Megatron, or his forces rather, still control most of the planet, so between that and the dissolution threat Autobots keep trying to flee. Megatron in his own way believes in the principle "Till All Are One" and so has instituted a blockade to keep Autobots from escaping. Now only the Ark remains. The story for the final Part shifts back and forth between Prime trying to protect and fuel the Ark and rescue as many Autobots as possible from the destruction to come (including the missing heavy assault squad led by Grimlock); and a power struggle among the Decepticons as Megatron rises back from his defeat and slowly comes to terms with the oncoming destruction or shutdown of the planet.

mirth

I'm waaaay over my game budget for this month (this year for that matter). But, I'm sure I'll part with the $5 for WfC :/

JasonPratt

More sales coming soon, I'm sure. At least two big sales on the way in the next few months (or three if you count post-Christmas recaps.)

chemkid

Unity of Command Trilogy Bundle 75%off at steam until november 3rd!
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39258/