Six Days in October - The Consolidated Dispatches of Marshal Lannes

Started by panzerde, May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

DISPATCH -- DAVOUT to LANNES -- 1400, 18th October

SENT 1000, 18th October

To: III Corps; and also Emperor Napoleon, Marshals Murat, Lannes, & Bernadotte

Situation: Marshal Augereau's corps is facing a Prussian force of 1 or 2 divisions in Naumbourg.  They appear to have fortified the town.

III Corps will march on an arc south of Naumbourg, aiming to seize the territory east of Naumbourg and secure the river crossing east of Naumbourg.  We will make ready to, on order:  1) Assault the town; 2) Defend the river crossing to prevent reinforcement of the town; and/or 3) Prevent the enemy from retreating eastwards out of Naumbourg.

Order of march is exactly as we are currently arrayed on the road.

Scheme of maneuver:

Cavalry will reconnoiter and, if feasible, screen terrain for the infantry to hold.

1st Division will tie in with Augereau's eastern flank and complete the investment of Naumbourg eastwards to the Salle River.

2nd Division will secure the crossing to the east.

3rd Division will be in reserve between them.

Once 3rd Division is in place, the Cavalry should expect new orders - either to also enter the reserve, or to scout eastwards.

Corps pioneers: on arrival, provide an estimate of the time needed to bridge the Salle in case we decide it is necessary to do so.

I will be with the cavalry division at least until we arrive at the neck of land between Naumbourg and the bridge to its east.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to Davout, 1400 18 October 1806

To: Marshal Davout, also Emperor Napoleon, Marshals Murat, Augereau, and Bernadotte

M. Davout,

At present, V Corps is right behind you on the road to Naumbourg, with my cavalry maintaining contact with your trailing division. In light of the situation at Naumbourg, the following opportunities seem worth discussion as to the disposition of V Corps:

First, we can continue to follow III Corps as it moves south of the town, taking up a reserve position in support of III and VII Corps in the attack on Naumbourg.

Alternately, we might follow you as above, but continue our march to take and hold the crossing of the Saale to the east, freeing up your 2nd Division to assist in investing Naumbourg.

Finally, we could leave the road at Bad Kosen to the west of Naumbourg where it crosses the Saale, and move along the Saale to the north of Naumbourg, further isolating the town and blocking the withdrawal of the Prussian divisions in that direction. This is perhaps the more productive option, though it does involve the separation of V Corps from III and VIII Corps by a major river. I would suggest that I leave a division at Bad Kosen west of Naumbourg to secure the Saale crossing there, protecting the line of communication for III and VII Corps.

Please inform me as to your preference. In lieu of any communication from you I will plan to leave a division at Bad Kosen west of Naumbourg and then take up a position south of Naumbourg in reserve, this seeming to me to be the most cautious and supportive disposition for my corps.

Lannes

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to III Corps, 1400 18 October 1806

To: III Corps, also to Marshals Davout and Murat

Generals,

I am moving my headquarters from Mattstedt to the road crossing of the Saale west of Naumbourg (town of Bad Kosen).

Lannes

(editor: Obviously I meant V Corps here, not III)

panzerde

DISPATCH -- DAVOUT to LANNES -- 1700, 18th October

To: Emperor Napoleon, Marshalls Augereau, Lannes, Murat, Bernadotte
Time: 1600, 18 October

Gentlemen:

My cavalry scouts, approaching the rover crossing east of Naumbourg, drove some of Blucher's cavalry off eastwards.

This suggests that Ruchel is holed up in Naumbourg and Blucher - and thus Brunswick's corps? - is to the east of us.

Marshal Augereau: If your corps is sufficient to invest Naumbourg and Ruchel's Remnants, then may I suggest that I continue eastwards tomorrow to maintain pressure on Brunswick?

- Davout

panzerde

DISPATCH -- MURAT to LANNES -- 1830, 18th October

SENT 0900, 18th October

From: Marshal Murat (at the crossroads between Nordhausen and Eisleben)
To: Marshal Davout (presumed to be on the road leading west from Weimar, possibly near Apolda)
Copy to: Marshal Lannes ( presumed to be on the road leading west from Weimar, possibly near Apolda)

Gentlemen,
My corps has reached the T-junction crossroads, approximately 20km west of Eisleben. Thus far I have had no significant contact with Prussian forces.

I will be pausing here at the crossroads briefly in order to re-organize my corps before advancing to Eisleben, and thence on towards Halle.

Please advise your preference, if any, for my direction of movement past that point. lacking any input from you I will likely hold at Halle and rest, possibly sending a detachment south to Meresebourg as a blocking force.

I request that you pass this information to the Emperor in your next periodic report to him.

Your comrade-in-arms,
- Murat

panzerde

DISPATCH -- DAVOUT to LANNES -- 2300, 18th October

SENT 2100, 18th October

To: Emperor Napoleon, and Marshals Lannes, Augereau, and Bernadotte

Gentlemen, please find attached a note from our comrade, Marshal Murat.

I intend to suggest to him that he plan on striking deep, as the Prussians seem intent on falling back; though, clearly, he is as a remove such that he much listen primarily to his own counsel on the situation.

SENT 0900, 18th October

From: Marshal Murat (at the crossroads between Nordhausen and Eisleben)
To: Marshal Davout (presumed to be on the road leading west from Weimar, possibly near Apolda)
Copy to: Marshal Lannes ( presumed to be on the road leading west from Weimar, possibly near Apolda)

Gentlemen,
My corps has reached the T-junction crossroads, approximately 20km west of Eisleben. Thus far I have had no significant contact with Prussian forces.

I will be pausing here at the crossroads briefly in order to re-organize my corps before advancing to Eisleben, and thence on towards Halle.

Please advise your preference, if any, for my direction of movement past that point. lacking any input from you I will likely hold at Halle and rest, possibly sending a detachment south to Meresebourg as a blocking force.

I request that you pass this information to the Emperor in your next periodic report to him.

Your comrade-in-arms,
- Murat

panzerde

DISPATCH -- AUGEREAU to LANNES -- 2330, 18th October

SENT -- 2200, 18th October
Message from Augereau to all my fellow Marshals.
Have any of you seen or heard from Napoleon? He was just here not too long ago. Now, when his Army is assembled, he is strangely absent? He hasn't fallen to the Prussians has he? What is his last known Location?
Concerned,
Augs.

panzerde

DISPATCH -- DAVOUT to LANNES, 0400, 19th October

From: DavoutTo:  III Corps; and also Emperor Napoleon, Marshals Murat, Lannes, & Bernadotte
Time: 0200, 19 October

Situation:  Marshal Augereau's corps is facing a Prussian force of 1 or 2 divisions in Naumbourg.  They appear to have fortified the town, and the town is now (as of 0200) on fire.  III Corps is situated east of Naumbourg.  1st division is holding the eastern flank of the town and in the process of being relived by one of Marshal Augereau's divisions. 

Enemy: We have had fleeting contact with enemy forces eastwards, and elements of Ruchel's corps are in Naumbourg.

Mission:  III Corps will advance eastwards to Weissenfels.  Order of march will be:  Cavalry, 2nd division, 3rd division, 1st division.   I will be with the cavalry HQ.

There is a decision point tomorrow at Weissenfels between moving north towards Halle or continuing eastwards towards Leipzig.
   * Unless otherwise ordered, III Corps will turn northwards towards Halle
   * If there is evidence suggesting a lasting impact from attacking enemies in the direction of Leipzig, then we will do that instead.

My expectation is that Halle will prove the better choice in order to continue our pursuit and/or to create a superior flanking opportunity against enemy forces operating in the area of Leipzig.

We will be seeking indications regarding marching towards Magdebourg or Dessau on arrival at Halle.

Marshal Lannes:  Please follow in my trace.  You will also face a decision point on your arrival at Weissenfels; please advise me of your decision once you have made it.

Marshal Bernadotte:  Please advise us of your intentions to aid on coordination.

- Davout

panzerde

DISPATCH -- BERNADOTTE to LANNES -- 0500, 19th October

SENT 2100, 18th October

Dispatch to Napoleon, Davout, Ney, Augereau, Lannes, and Soult - The 1st Corps is presently stretched out along the road from Jena to Zeib and will force march to the a Naumbourg/Leipzig cross roads tonight. From there we will likely march on Leipzig to join Ney on his left flank unless events at the crossroads dictate otherwise.
Marshal Bernadotte

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to V Corps

From Marshal Lannes - at Bad Kossen, vicinity of Nambourg
To: V Corps, also Marshals Davout. Murat, Augereau, and Bernadotte
Time: 0500 19 October

We will continue to march today in trace of Marshal Davout's III Corps. The order of march will be the cavalry, 1st Division, 2nd Division, and 3rd Division. As yesterday, Foucher's cavalry is to maintain contact with the trailing division of Davout's III Corps.

My intent is to move to Weissenfels and cross the Saale there after III Corps has passed through. M. Bernadotte and presumably M. Ney are also converging on Weissenfels along the road from Zeitz. It may be that our progress will be significantly slowed in and around the town due to congestion. If so, we will halt at Weissenfels. Otherwise, once across the Saale, we will continue along with III Corps in moving north to Halle.

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to Davout, Murat

To Marshals Davout and Lannes
Time: 0500 19 October

Brother Marshals,

I am growing increasingly concerned about the separation of Marshal Murat from III & V Corps, as well as the remainder of the army. While it seems that Ruchel's Corps has been dealt a significant blow and is now trapped in Nambourg, I must wonder at the absence of the remainder of the rest of the very sizeable Prussian army. While we are driving farther and faster north and east into Saxony, we are doing so without the intelligence we should have through the efforts of a sizable screen of light cavalry.

In short, I do not believe that Brunswick is simply retreating, but rather that we are intentionally being drawn into Germany, with little idea what is in front of us - and next to nothing protecting our Line of Communications in our rear. It may be that Marshals Bessier and Soult have that well in hand, but I am concerned at the lack of communication to that effect.

I feel that we need M. Murat's cavalry back closer to the concentration of the army, to be used to locate the enemy and fix him for our attack. As it stands now we are likely to have a single corps blunder into the entire Prussian Army. Worse, were I Brunswick, I would be marching with all speed on Weimar, which as far as I know is undefended at this point.

By the way, where is our dear Emperor? Have either of you had communication with him since early yesterday morning?

Lannes

panzerde

DISPATCH -- FROM CONTROL -- 1100, 19th October

Marshal Lannes,

The distinct sound of artillery firing to the ENE has joined that already heard around Naumbourg.

Your judgment tells you it comes form the direction of Weisenfels.

S!

panzerde

To: Marshal Lannes
DISPATCH - DAVOUT to LANNES -- 1100, 19th October

Time: 0800 19 October

I would have preferred Murat's cavalry closer at hand, but the emperor preferred this course of action.

In any event, the Prussians are now at hand to be killed.

As you approach the battlefield, please keep in mind the bridge I am preparing across the Salle.  I suspect my corps' role in this fight will be to pin the Prussians, and will have their hands full keeping the two corps engaged until our other forces can march up.   It may be that you can put in the decisive maneuver across their line of retreat northwards by using that bridge. 

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to Davout

To: Marshal Davout
Time: 1100 19 October

The Emperor is an opium addict with an onion for a head.

I come. Allons Y!

Lannes

panzerde

Dispatch - Lannes to V Corps

To: V Corps
Copies to: Marshals Davout, Augerau, Murat, Bernadotte, Ney

Gentlemen,

Marshal Davout has treed two corps of Prussians at Weissenfels. He has been engaged since this morning. We will march with all haste to support our brothers of III Corps.

Foucher's Cavalry will lead, moving to make contact with III Corps and report the situation to me as quickly as possible. In the event that when General Focher arrives at Weissenfels he discovers that Marshal Davout has either bridged the Saale or seized the crossings in the town, he is to cross the river and secure a bridgehead. If this is already done by troops from III Corps he should move across the bridge and move north along the road to Halle and cut the line of communications of the Prussians.

If this is impractical, the cavalry will move to the right flank in support of Marshal Davout's cavalry and screen the flank of V Corps as it arrives.

1st Division will follow General Foucher's cavalry as closely as possible. General Suchet, move to Wessenfels along the road with the Saale to your left. On reaching the town or the action before the town, position yourself to the rear of 1/III in support. Be prepared to wither relieve 1/III if necessary, or to conduct a passage of lines through 1/III to cross the Saale.

General Gazan's 2nd Division is to act as the Corps Reserve, marching in trail of 1st Division. On arrival and contact with III Corps, be prepared to move to the right flank of V Corps to support or relieve 2/III if called to do so. Otherwise, 2nd Division will also cross the Saale behind 1st Division.

Once V Corps is across the river, we will move north to flank the Prussians and cut them off from a retreat toward Magdebourg.

I will ride ahead with General Foucher's cavalry. When I arrive at Weissenfels I will make my headquarters with Marshal Davout.

Lannes