Six Days in October - The Consolidated Dispatches of Marshal Lannes

Started by panzerde, May 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

From Davout

Davout to 3rd division/III Corps: relieve Vialannes' position.  Once relieved, Vialannes is to fall back into a reserve position and reorganize.

What is the state of the enemy forces in front of Vialannes?
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

panzerde

From Davout

Greater clarity has revealed that Gudin is already committed to the sector with Vialannes!  Never mind....

panzerde

To: Emperor Napoleon, Marshals Lannes, Bernadotte, Augereau, & Murat
Time: 1800, 19 October

A few more details have come to light regarding the ongoing engagement (notes on which are repeated below for the benefit of those farther from the battle).

I am reliably informed that:

====
On the LEFT, Morand and Friant have met with a single, strong, Prussian division.  They slightly outnumber it, but only slightly.

In the CENTER, Gudin and Viallannes have been up against two very large Prussian divisions, one of which is clearly commanded by Blucher.  As indicated, they came on the attack, but it did not break your forces in the center.
====

Consulting "Jacque's All The World's Fighting Divisions", and working from nominal strengths:

Blucher normally commands a force of 7000 infantry and 5000 cavalry.  Gudin has around 8000 infantry and Vialannes once had around 2000 cavalry.  Two divisions similar to Blucher's would indeed outnumber my force by around 2:1.

Morand and Friant comprise around 18000 men.  They would outnumber, but only slightly, Scharnhorst's division of 13000 infantry and 4000 cavalry.  We met Scharnhorst briefly earlier in the campaign and likely chased him here from west of Weimar.

A positive ID of Blucher and a probable of Scharnhorst means we face Brunswick's corps, at the least. 

Given the force ratio against me, and the shaky state of my cavalry, my corps will move to the defense for the time being.

panzerde

From Lannes

All V Corps units are to move by the fastest route to the objective of the road North out of Weissenfels. We will continue this move even after dark. I would prefer to be observed by the Prussians but avoid combat until in position.

panzerde

DISPATCH -- BERNADOTTE to LANNES and DAVOUT -- 1830, 19th October

SENT -- 1600, 19th October

Dispatch to Marshals Lannes, Davout and Emperor Napoleon

The 1st Corps has one infantry division and Gen Kleins Dragoon Div engaged with the Prussians on our right flank . Our right is achieving some success while our Center under Gen Gudin of 3rd Corps is having some difficulty. I suggest Lannes to engage here on arrival. I am bringing my divisions up in turn on to our right flank. I have a total of 4 infantry divisions (including Gen Gardannes from Ney's Corp) approaching from the south on the Gera to Weissenfels road. Our 1st Corps Cavalry patrols estimate that we are facing approximately 3 Prussian Corps at Weissenfels. 1st Corps patrols to discover Ney's left flank have not reported his position yet. Ney is assumed to be south of Leipzig with Soult.
Marshal Bernadotte

panzerde

To: Emperor Napoleon, Marshal Bernadotte, Marshals Lannes & Augereau
Sent: 1700, 19 Oct

Marshal Bernadotte,

Do you know where Ney and Soult are expected to turn next?

If Lannes continues northwards to cut off the Prussian route in that direction, while Ney and Soult turn westwards from Leipzig, then we have the bulk of the Prussian Army bottled up in Weissenfels.

- Davout

panzerde

To: Emperor Napoleon, Marshal Bernadotte, Marshal Augereau, Marshal Davout
Sent: 1830, 19 Oct

V Corps is continuing with the river crossing with the objective of cutting the road north from Weissenfels.  V Corps pontooneers are constructing a second bridge to speed movement and aid following forces.

We will continue this movement after dark until the entire corps is at the objective. I have directed my cavalry to move by the fastest route. This will likely have our movement observed by the Prussians. My intent is for this to divert some Prussian forces from the situation south of the town.

Lannes

panzerde

From Control

Simple query:  D'Hautpol is up in time for the last round of combat.  Into the fray or over the river?

S!

Doug Miller to Jim
Over the river.

panzerde

The Battle of Weissenfels -- 1800 to 2000, 19th October

Marshals,

Your lines have not faltered.

On the left, Morand and Friant were able to make progress against the men you now clearly identify as Scharnhorst's Division.  It was not a great victory but, as the general had not abandoned his defenses, it must be greeted with a measure of satisfaction.

In the center, your line held.  The men of Gudin's division were able to hold out against the combined assault of General Arnim as well as a division that you have had reported is commanded by Blucher himself.  The casualties sustained were not great, but the Prussians made no advance.  Credit must be given to the collapse of the Prussian left.

The men of Fouchet's division have vanished into the darkness with the intention of cutting the road North out of Weissenfels.  The men of D'Hautpol's division will complete their crossing of the Saale by 2100 hours.

Casualty returns will be reported at 0000 hours.

S!

panzerde

From Davout

I confess I'm not quite sure what the description of the outcome of the engagement with Scharnhorst means.  Perhaps that is intentional?  If not, I'm not sure what is means that he has not abandoned his defenses - we were kicking him out of them?

panzerde

From Lannes

I read that as Scharnhorst, unlike Anim/.Blucher, had not come out of his prepared positions. So we were assaulting those.

panzerde

panzerde

From Lannes

I will stay at the pontoon crossing point to coordinate getting the remainder of the corps across, and to urge the pontooneers to get the second bridge built. If I have any indication of combat from the direction Foucher has moved, I will move to his position. Once my 1st division is across, I will move with them to the road objective to oversee the deployment into defensive positions. V Corps will continue with this operation until all of the corps has crossed and taken up positions on the objective.

panzerde

FROM CONTROL -- 2100, 19th October

D'Hautpol is over the river and will begin to march East.

Your second bridge will be up in one hour.

S!

panzerde

FROM CONTROL -- 0000, 20th October

As of this hour, D'Hautpol has completed his crossing of the first pontoon bridge.  Futher, the "nose" of Fouchet's division has arrived at the road leading out of Weissenfels.  Do you wish them to push further East, prepare for action on or near the road, or something else?

Your engineers estimate the second bridge will be in place by 0100.

S!