Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Tripoli

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2023, 10:51:52 PMThere's always a, 'first' for everything Star Old Buddy. At least that's what Daffy Duck says. Just tonight I heard about a Bill before the Canadian Parliament supported by Trudeau that would REQUIRE all Pod Casters to register with the Federal Govt. to combat, "Mis-Information" on the Internet. There's some sort of financial limit to the legislation but the Bill would affect practically all Pod Casters in the country. We can only guess what the government would consider misinformation.

I came of age when questioning Authority was good thing. The Vietnam War, The Civil Rights Movement, the Kennedy Assassinations were all questioned extensively and the questioners were pooh-poohed by many in authority. Many who were later discovered to be complicit in causing or ignoring things that caused much tragedy. Authority should always be questioned in a Free Society. "The Truth can never be the enemy of a truly Just Cause" a very wise Fortune Cookie once told me.

As a former trial attorney, I was taught that the best way to determine the truth was from proponents and opponents of an idea to vigorously debate, in public, providing evidence and argument for their respective positions.  From this debate, a more accurate version of the truth would emerge, and society would thereby benefit from this clash of competing ideas.    Apparently, we no longer feel this is necessary, and that truth can now be established by the simple suppression, without debate, of readily identifiable "misinformation" as determined by some group of people who are somehow more knowledgeable than we.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sir Slash

Regarding giving Ukraine whatever they need to win, would that also include Nukes? Who here, for the record, would be in favor of giving nuclear weapons to Ukraine if they asked for them? If the answer is, 'no', then you really don't support giving them whatever they need if it came to that. So there are limits to what the West is willing to provide, that doesn't sound like heresy to me.

Regarding Trump cozying-up to dictators, if you mean engaging them in meaningful dialog in order to curb their behavior, and doing it successfully--no new wars under his admin., then I would be in favor of cozying away. Believe them? No way. But as the Great One used to say, "Trust but verify". That worked pretty well in 1980, it'll work today.

Regarding the take-over of BBC, as I understand it, Britain already has Hate-Speech Laws on the books that prohibit speech the government doesn't approve under penalty of fines or imprisonment. Does this work both ways or just when the Party in power is the one a person particularly supports?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Oh, Lord, maybe we should turn the R&P filter back on for this thread.  I've learned a lot about the Ukraine War from you guys in the last 585 pages, but if we really want to talk about this stuff, can we do it in an R&P thread or on an R&P forum or something?

Full confession, Sir Slash:  After being on the R&P thread for a month a year ago, I blocked your posts.  They soon thereafter closed the R&P board, and I haven't been able to figure out how to unblock your posts.  I've enjoyed reading them, so I now have to click on every one of your posts to read them.  I've been too proud to admit this to anybody until now.    :Loser:   :justice:

Quote from: Tripoli on October 03, 2023, 07:29:39 AMAs a former trial attorney, I was taught that the best way to determine the truth was from proponents and opponents of an idea to vigorously debate, in public, providing evidence and argument for their respective positions.  From this debate, a more accurate version of the truth would emerge, and society would thereby benefit from this clash of competing ideas.    Apparently, we no longer feel this is necessary, and that truth can now be established by the simple suppression, without debate, of readily identifiable "misinformation" as determined by some group of people who are somehow more knowledgeable than we.

RIP, the Hegelian Dialectic.   :guillotine:

One book on this topic that might be really illuminating, if you want to read it:  The Righteous Mind, by Jonathan Haidt

The author is a former diehard Liberal, who's spent the last 10-15 years fighting for academic freedom (primarily to express conservative views) in US higher ed.  His work is heavily influenced by another more famous psychologist, Daniel Kahneman, who won a Nobel Prize in Economics for his research into human decision making.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 03, 2023, 01:15:44 PMOh, Lord, maybe we should turn the R&P filter back on for this thread. 

Oh please lets do.

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 03, 2023, 01:15:44 PMCan we do it in an R&P thread or on an R&P forum or something?

Oh please lets don't.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 03, 2023, 12:47:23 PMRegarding Trump cozying-up to dictators, if you mean engaging them in meaningful dialog in order to curb their behavior, and doing it successfully--no new wars under his admin., then I would be in favor of cozying away.

he got buddy buddy with Kim and now Japan and Korea gets to have missile drills every month.
he got into bed with putin and now we've had over a year and a half of a land war in Europe because of it.
and lets not forget his party with the taliban at Camp David which directly led to the shit show when we withdrew.
ya..... great way to curb their behavior.   :Loser:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

I have NO desire to repeat the food fight of R&P. Ever.  :HideEyes: Star all the things you just listed occurred during the Presidency of Joe Biden, not Mr. Trump. Call Daffy Duck, he'll back me up.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 03, 2023, 01:15:44 PMOh, Lord, maybe we should turn the R&P filter back on for this thread. 

Agreed, and I apologize for the role I played in the derail.

Everybody, please return to your regular programming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

...and let me just add for the record, I don't appreciate the games you two are playing with your sig lines. We don't allow R&P posts so there has been quite a bit of somewhat lively debate over whether to permit it in sig lines. I, for one voted for not censoring it, but it wasn't entirely unanimous. It would be nice if everyone would just use common sense and be decent so as not to antagonize anyone else and to not make the lives of those of us who manage this place more difficult and stressful.

One can dream...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

fine on the sig line

QuoteStar all the things you just listed occurred during the Presidency of Joe Biden, not Mr. Trump.

his poor leadership on international issues directly led to north korea expanding its missile program and his meeting with the taliban resulted in 5000 of the fuckers being released and them feeling emboldened when we left.
he was also impeached over his shenanigans with the Ukraine.  his claims to want to leave NATO definitely led putin to think he would get free ride invading Ukraine.  ya... real effective policy.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2023, 03:50:30 PMand to not make the lives of those of us who manage this place more difficult and stressful.

this is as well behaved as we get  :pirate:

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2023, 04:42:00 PMcosting next to nothing to lay low one of the worst social and political entities thats existed in the last 100 years.

Given that they (russian Imperialists) have persisted decades past the Reich IMO they are tied with them as worst.... but who was the worst in the previous 100 years?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2023, 05:54:35 PMits still almost fantastical to see this.

Oh go on...... it is fantastical to see that bad boy

Windigo

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 02, 2023, 10:51:52 PMThere's always a, 'first' for everything Star Old Buddy. At least that's what Daffy Duck says. Just tonight I heard about a Bill before the Canadian Parliament supported by Trudeau that would REQUIRE all Pod Casters to register with the Federal Govt. to combat, "Mis-Information" on the Internet. There's some sort of financial limit to the legislation but the Bill would affect practically all Pod Casters in the country. We can only guess what the government would consider misinformation.

I came of age when questioning Authority was good thing. The Vietnam War, The Civil Rights Movement, the Kennedy Assassinations were all questioned extensively and the questioners were pooh-poohed by many in authority. Many who were later discovered to be complicit in causing or ignoring things that caused much tragedy. Authority should always be questioned in a Free Society. "The Truth can never be the enemy of a truly Just Cause" a very wise Fortune Cookie once told me.

Dude! Ivermectin will never ever save the life of a person dying of Covid. FULL STOP! If you think that saying otherwise is somehow protected under "freedom of expression" in Canada; then you are not a expert in Canadian Law/Canadian Constitutional Law.

Here is the first section of our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.... keep this in mind.... the very first section!

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Our federal judges have very clearly sided with the Feds on this one. Bullshit false statements like Ivermectin cures Covid, etc., etc., that can result in harm to others are not protected.

Thank-you for following my TedTalk