Main Menu

2016 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, January 06, 2016, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyzBP

Marty Ward

If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

MetalDog

Not sure I agree that its Bird, but, he did some 'Yankee' things last year.  Had some 'moments'.  It'll play itself out.  And maybe there won't be one.  There wasn't for 20 years after Thurman Munson died.  And speaking of Thurm, there's a great quiz at the end of the article on Yankee MVP's and Cy Young winners.  I got 24 out of 27 right.

QuoteUnlike a lot of things in baseball, picking a new face for the Yankees is more about how it 'feels,' not about extremely specific and concise rules and numbers. That's why I think Greg Bird best fits the role, despite him not seeming to be the most obvious choice. Yes, he's only played for half a season. Yes, he's not even a starter for the team yet. Yes, he was scheduled to start next season in the minors. And yes, he is out for the whole season with a torn labrum. Still, it feels right. The way that the whole fan base went into mourning and practically called 2016 a "lost season" after news of Bird's injury broke struck a chord with me. For a player that was going to start as a backup infielder (at best), the reaction from fans was enormous. Bird certainly doesn't have the highest upside of the Yankees' young crop, and there's a good chance he'll never be the best player on the team, but then again, Jeter was the Yankees' best player by WAR just three times over his career.

http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/who_is_the_new_face_of_the_yankees/s1_13058_20488123
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Well I've got an uneasy feeling as the season approaches that the Royals starting pitching staff is about to implode making the bullpen irrelevant. 

MetalDog

I work with a KC fan.  I was going to give him shit about that this very day had I seen him.  Unfortunately for him, I didn't.

Bison

Yeah I was listening to the preseason game tonight on the radio and Ventura was just getting hammered through 4 innings.  The Royals bats are good, but man it's tough to know going in that you have to score a bunch every night or possibly play from behind every game.  They've done it the past few seasons, but they really needed a starting pitching ace this offseason.  Oh well.  It'll be a good season anyway. 

Bison

Good start for the Royals tonight against the Mets although surprisingly the bullpen just about blew the game in the 8th inning.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

This is a horrible call and a foolish rule change.  This rule should result in 99% of all slides into second base following a hit being ruled interference.  They should have just made sliding illegal instead.  If I were a manager I'd challenge EVERY SINGLE TIME a slide into second isn't followed up with a double play.  Hell baseball should just implement an automatic double play rule for infield hits to save time.

MetalDog

Maybe Bautista shouldn't try to gooch the SS throw to first by sticking his hand between his feet.  The rule was called right.  Don't break the rule and you won't get called out.  Or maybe Bautista shouldn't be such a demonstrative dick and flip his bat and stare at a home run like he's never seen one before.  Players and umps have long memories for people who break the "unwritten" rules.

Bison

Bautista is a jackass, but that doesn't change the fact the rule change is asinine.  I get they are addressing the Utley slide, but there is a mile of difference between a baseball play and intentionally injuring someone.  Bautista's slide is about as textbook as you will ever see and if his hand slap is interference this is going to be a long season of similar calls.  Pointless rule change.   I think you listen to too much ESPN radio.  :P

MetalDog

Nah.  The only ESPN Radio I listen to anymore is Dan LeBatard.  I just haven't like Bautista since his ridiculous antics last year.  And you have to admit, looking at the video, everything about that slide was fine until he purposely stuck his arm out to foul the SS throw.  That makes him out.

Bison

If that is interference it's going to be a long, long season of replays on slides into second base.   It's right up there with the in the area ruling for a double play.  Where the middle infielder doesn't actually need to touch the base to record the out.  Just be in the area of the base.   

MetalDog

Which part of he intentionally stuck his hand out to interfere with the thrower isn't registering?  It's pretty obvious that's what he's doing.  Now, it doesn't change or hurt anything, so, if that's your argument, I agree.  But that's not the rule as written and Bautista purposefully and deliberately stuck his arm out to gooch the throw.  And I hope it gets called like that all year.

As for the 'in the area' play, the argument for it is that it's supposed to protect the thrower from a player sliding into the bag and connecting with the thrower.  Do I like it?  No.  You're supposed to touch the bag to record the out.  But, I can see the reasoning behind letting them get away with it.

Bison

The area rule is nonsense and you add in touching is interference and it changes the game dramatically.  Just institute an infield hit double play rule.  As far as Bautista's slide and "grab", I'd hardly call what he did grabbing.  Just wait until a playoff or world series game is decided by this foolishness.  If you want to stop the Utley type slide, institute heavy fines and suspensions.  Take a few million away for an intentionally dirty play would be a sufficient deterrent.  You're one of those computerized home plate umpire advocates aren't you.  :)