Celebrating 5 years of Danger, Darkness, and Dwarves! (Deep Rock Galactic)

Started by JasonPratt, March 10, 2023, 01:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

For their five-year anniversary, Deep Rock Galactic held a contest for player-designed recruitment videos.

They got 195 submissions.

Originally they were going to give away a Steam Deck to the winner and some minor prizes, but when they pruned the entries down to the top 11, they couldn't decide on a first place, so all 11 got the same prize (not a Steam deck ;) ).

Here are the 11 recruitment videos, in ascending order, starting with a 12th sample-video from the DRG devs themselves (each only lasts a minute to 90 seconds):

Those all tied for 4th (after the dev sample video).

Third place was a tie on developer votes:

Second place:

And the winner:

DRG is one of those indie developer success stories of the past several years, and well deserves it. High concept, high production values, great attitude, continually inventing totally free new game content, and only in effect asking for some occasional voluntary donations from their fans in the form of cosmetic packs. I'm glad to shill some attention for them!  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Very not safe for work, but hilarious as a salute to the 5th year anniversary!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Destraex

Shill is a pretty intense word to use.
Have to admit I always liked the look of the game but have not bitten.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

My friends were fanatical about this game for a good months. They bought me a copy and goaded me into playing. 

I strongly dislike this game.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2023, 09:35:22 AMAre there campaigns in this game?

Campaigns: yes, though maybe not in the way you're thinking?

You can pick any number of the four classes, and level up any or all of your characters (playing them one at a time in missions) as you go along; and while the missions and maps are randomly generated, you're also given (randomly generated) special mission objectives to work towards (at your choice, when-if-ever you feel ready), at several levels of complexity. Then there are seasonal storylines, although I haven't played since those were introduced so I don't know how they work. They do introduce new threats and mission types.

Solo gameplay is very good -- I think it is generally accepted now that 2-player is actually more difficult! -- and somewhat different in flavor than team missions.

If you get dizzy easily, I might disrecommend it: some maps are a lot more vertically generated than others, and in the darkness (even with bioluminescent flora and some glowing energy events) it can be easy to get disoriented. Once you know what you're doing, you can choose mission types which minimize this, but that takes some personal experience of course. The good news is, failing a mission never penalizes you; you're recovered 'some time' later -- you just don't get all the helpful results of a completion.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd