U.S. Space Force

Started by jomni, February 19, 2019, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I've heard a lot of talk regarding how the first few minutes of the next great war will decide the fate of nations such has never been seen before.

The first one to knock out all of the other guys satellites wins.  Mix in a well placed barrage of EMPs and the loser has no chance of ever recovering. 

I'm glad my nation has a space force, never mind the theme song is kind of baby'ish. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FarAway Sooner

I've heard that same talk.  I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but it does sound like the kind of axiomatic Douhet theories that defined major powers' approach to air power leading up to WW II. 

The reality that emerged was a lot more... complicated.  But we obviously still really needed an air force to win that war!

Pete Dero

Quote from: W8taminute on September 29, 2022, 01:14:00 PM
I've heard a lot of talk regarding how the first few minutes of the next great war will decide the fate of nations such has never been seen before.

The first one to knock out all of the other guys satellites wins.  Mix in a well placed barrage of EMPs and the loser has no chance of ever recovering. 

https://www.spacefoundation.org/space_brief/international-space-law/

There is no claim for sovereignty in space; no nation can "own" space, the Moon or any other body. Weapons of mass destruction are forbidden in orbit and beyond, and the Moon, the planets, and other celestial bodies can only be used for peaceful purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty#List_of_parties

Another worthless piece of paper.

W8taminute

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on September 29, 2022, 01:17:43 PM
I've heard that same talk.  I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but it does sound like the kind of axiomatic Douhet theories that defined major powers' approach to air power leading up to WW II. 

The reality that emerged was a lot more... complicated.  But we obviously still really needed an air force to win that war!

I've been thinking sort of the same thing lately.  Blitzkrieg in WW2 when it was introduced to the world seemed unstoppable.  Eventually man adapted and was able to counter it.  Will we have enough time to figure out how to counter space attacks? 

Which leads me to...

Quote from: Pete Dero on September 29, 2022, 01:35:18 PM

https://www.spacefoundation.org/space_brief/international-space-law/

There is no claim for sovereignty in space; no nation can "own" space, the Moon or any other body. Weapons of mass destruction are forbidden in orbit and beyond, and the Moon, the planets, and other celestial bodies can only be used for peaceful purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty#List_of_parties

Another worthless piece of paper.

Yes you're correct.  I noticed that there are two major powers that acceded to the treaty but not ratified it.  So see even right there they're saying yeah we know we're not supposed to kill people in outer space but whatever. 

Just to check on my own research and understanding, Can anyone explain the legal difference between accession and ratification when it comes to treaties?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Quote from: W8taminute on September 29, 2022, 02:35:38 PM

Just to check on my own research and understanding, Can anyone explain the legal difference between accession and ratification when it comes to treaties?

https://ask.un.org/faq/14594

Ratification

Ratification defines the international act whereby a state indicates its consent to be bound to a treaty if the parties intended to show their consent by such an act. In the case of bilateral treaties, ratification is usually accomplished by exchanging the requisite instruments, while in the case of multilateral treaties the usual procedure is for the depositary to collect the ratifications of all states, keeping all parties informed of the situation. The institution of ratification grants states the necessary time-frame to seek the required approval for the treaty on the domestic level and to enact the necessary legislation to give domestic effect to that treaty. 

Accession

"Accession" is the act whereby a state accepts the offer or the opportunity to become a party to a treaty already negotiated and signed by other states. It has the same legal effect as ratification. Accession usually occurs after the treaty has entered into force. The Secretary-General of the United Nations, in his function as depositary, has also accepted accessions to some conventions before their entry into force. The conditions under which accession may occur and the procedure involved depend on the provisions of the treaty. A treaty might provide for the accession of all other states or for a limited and defined number of states. In the absence of such a provision, accession can only occur where the negotiating states were agreed or subsequently agree on it in the case of the state in question.

ArizonaTank

I'm glad my nation has a space force, never mind the theme song is kind of baby'ish.

+1 to that!!!!

I have worked with Space Force on a few things.  Very impressive folks. Some of them are unsung national treasures. The guys I worked with are really just Air Force Space Command guys who came into the office one day and had to change their email addresses to Space Force. So it's not like Space Force is really a "new" thing.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

Space Force on Netfilx was really a lot of fun, shame it got cancelled.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.