Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I think "trying to conquer" is probably a more accurate phrasing of the sentiment there.  The narrator is clearly not trying to justify Russian aggression, just explaining what the stakes are for an expansionist Russia unwilling or unable to embrace Western reforms to make their own way forward.

It's a useful video, and it's a topic that's been surprisingly neglected by both sides.  I think the author emphasizes the military and realpolitik aspects of it a bit much and neglects the cultural aspects (e.g., Ukraine is the closest thing that Russia has to a peer in the region, and if Western values and reforms spread to Ukraine it was a likely vector for the virus).

Even if Putin doesn't succeed in conquering Ukraine, he's severed most of the economic and cultural ties that were a threat to his kleptocracy and his dreams of an Imperial Russia (reclaimed by him personally, of course).

JasonPratt

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 14, 2023, 02:05:04 PMEven if Putin doesn't succeed in conquering Ukraine, he's severed most of the economic and cultural ties that were a threat to his kleptocracy and his dreams of an Imperial Russia (reclaimed by him personally, of course).

That's a good point at the end: as long as his people are now irreconcilably estranged from Ukraine, he might consider this an acceptable outcome even though far from ideal and not really promotable as a win.

....and then he'll fall over dead and someone worse will take over.  :tongue:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Now, THIS is a colorful piece of tech from China to help increase efficiency on the Russian battlefield at all levels!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Does Belarus actually have the capability to intervene on Russia's side?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

yes they do.  I think all that would do is speed up delivery of all the toys the west has been dragging its feet on.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Well according to the video, Belorussia has about 50,000 troops trained mostly in counter-insurgency warfare in sub-Saharan Africa, which would be totally wasted in Ukraine. And no political will for entering the war in a combat role...in fact, it's just the opposite.

Lukashenko fears a heightened Belorussian involvement would be the final straw that would lead to him being unseated (at best) or killed in a bloody revolution or civil war, at worst.

There are also reported units of made up of 100s of Belorussians in Ukraine fighting against Russia.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

What would the actual ramifications be of all these countries telling Switzerland to fuck off and giving the Ukraine the tanks it needs?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Skoop

Lol, so it's the swiss holding it up ?

If Beloruss joins the war, there will be a coup in minsk. 

GDS_Starfury

yes, its the swiss holding up a shitload of weapons and ammo because of contracts and supposed neutrality.

Skoop

Not sure I'd call Soledar a victory for Russia when you see the disparity in casualties.  Ukraine still holds the raised rail line that Russia has to cross open ground to get to, and further attacks have been ripped apart.   

GDS_Starfury

this is from back in June but I never saw it before and its somewhat interesting.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1614678524018712577

GDS_Starfury

Sir Slash

Is it me or does Lukashenko look like Scotty from Star Trek?  :shocked:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury