Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Originally I was put off by some less than stellar reviews of Atomic Heart, even before this 'controversy' started.

I had Atomic Heart on my wish list for months but removed it in January as more reviewers were posting impressions of the final build along with parts of the game they did not enjoy, like the dialogue and other more minor things...but together, along with the 59.99 price was enough for me to not buy for now.

I am not a fan of cancel culture, but I am also not a fan of Russia right now.

The allegations put forth in the links from Pete, even if 1% true, don't sit well with me. So that was an additional set of reasons not to buy.

:grumpy:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Has anyone looked into this "War of a Madman's Making" game I'm seeing?

That seems to have some suspect sources.  It's highly dressed in Soviet Era iconography and propaganda. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

so.....  one year on.

happy anniversary  :tanker1035:

:sad:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Pete Dero

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 23, 2023, 09:26:07 PMHas anyone looked into this "War of a Madman's Making" game I'm seeing?

That seems to have some suspect sources.  It's highly dressed in Soviet Era iconography and propaganda. 

The difference lies in the fact that even if he hands over all his earnings to Russia, they get nothing thanks to his pricing :grin: .

JasonPratt

But surely WoaMM (whoaaamm!) must be romanticizing communism and the Soviet Union, by using that iconography, and seducing people into thinking that they should try those things for themselves since what could possibly go wrong?!?  :nono2: Such iconography could never ever be used for any other purpose, obviously, duh!

That classic Wendy's "verrry niiiiccce" commercial is much like that game, too, come to think of it.

Seriously (so to speak), that particular allegation about Atomic Heart deserves to be memed for comedy at Babylon Bee levels of satire for at least a few weeks straight.  :twirl:

.....now that I think of it, as a kind of side-topic, this makes me wish for a forum where we could discuss computer and board games with military-historical flavor or topics.  :RockOn:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, back on the thread topic: hey, if you're gonna hold all human civilization hostage in order to take whatever you want when you want it, you might as well do it with style!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-state-tv-discusses-nuclear-strike-on-yellowstone-volcano/ar-AA17Rs8q?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=d4b3c35ef32b4775baa6633506669b97

(Setting off the Yellowstone super-volcano would not end well for anyone in the Northern Hemisphere, in the long run. And destroying or ruining all civilization in the north half of the globe would not end well for anyone in the southern half either.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

The UK Ministry of Defense has just published its opinion that Russia is now pursuing a long-term strategy to use its advantages in resources and population to wear down Ukrainian defenses and weaken western resolve.

Kind of like the 1917 German strategy on the Western Front; somewhere in hell Erich Ludendorff must appreciate the irony.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1628997992039473153?s=20
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

^History repeating, and not rhyming, there in that UK MoD report :embarrassed:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 24, 2023, 09:46:28 AMThe UK Ministry of Defense has just published its opinion that Russia is now pursuing a long-term strategy to use its advantages in resources and population to wear down Ukrainian defenses and weaken western resolve.

Kind of like the 1917 German strategy on the Western Front; somewhere in hell Erich Ludendorff must appreciate the irony.

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1628997992039473153?s=20

Playing that game will just invite attacks on its (Russian) infrastructure.

Nothing to stop the Ukraine from mounting an expeditionary force into Russia.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Groggy

When Hersh is making comments like this, I'm having some serious questions about if he's living in the same world as us.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1628898816953909251?t=4Wy7DbH6514497DMQomcQw&s=19
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

JasonPratt

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 24, 2023, 09:46:28 AMKind of like the 1917 German strategy on the Western Front; somewhere in hell Erich Ludendorff must appreciate the irony.

"Wo ist zu Wunderfraulein jetz?!"

(I was staggered to see Ludendorff stabbed to death by Gal Gadot. That would be like Mel Gibson assassinating King George III at the end of The Patriot! Highly entertaining but what the actual what...)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Seymore Hersh has made a number of very controversial claims of late. I don't know if  he's gone 'round the bend at his age but his journalistic credentials are unsurpassed going back to Vietnam and the My Lai Massacre. If he has a political agenda I don't know, he was always considered to be considerably Left Wing in his views. I don't think anything he reports as fact can be simply blown-off as untrue.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.